Apple releases Safari 12 for owners of macOS Sierra & High Sierra

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    I just installed the Safari 12 update and the AdBlock app from the App Store. No ads.

The download said something about icons for web sites showing in tabs, but either that isn't working for me or I'm misunderstanding what it's supposed to do.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 22 of 33
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    I just installed the Safari 12 update and the AdBlock app from the App Store. No ads.

The download said something about icons for web sites showing in tabs, but either that isn't working for me or I'm misunderstanding what it's supposed to do.
    You have to switch it on in the Tabs section of the Safari Preferences.
    lostkiwilorin schultz
  • Reply 23 of 33
    spheric said:

You have to switch it on in the Tabs section of the Safari Preferences.
    D'oh! It hadn't occurred to me it would be optional. Thanks for the tip!
  • Reply 24 of 33
    MTECHMTECH Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    I downloaded AdBlock from Safari Extensions (App Store) and it seems to be working fine with Safari 12. Uninstall AdBlock from Preferences first to remove the Legacy App, then install from Safari Extensions.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    MTECHMTECH Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    By the way, Safari is faster now with the new AdBlock Extension. So no complaints here.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Unfortunately this update for me has caused the developer tools toolbar to not display when responsive design mode is enabled - a pain, considering these two features will so often go hand in hand. Do I really need to switch to Chrome now?
  • Reply 27 of 33
    keybitskeybits Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I can highly recommend Wipr for ad blocking on Safari 12: https://giorgiocalderolla.com/wipr.html
  • Reply 28 of 33
    mdoss said:
    Yeah - it disabled uBlock Origin, AdBlock Plus, Ghostery etc., saying it will slow down performance.

I am now bombarded by ads on any page I visit!  And there are no updates to any of these extensions. Problem is, I am one of the few who prefers Safari to other browsers, and am now forced to either have ads or use some other browser.

And I do not understand what SpamSandwich is saying - I am on the latest and greatest updates to the OS and all other apps; so, what do you mean by being penalised for not updating to the latest OS?

Cheers
    I am unable to upgrade to “the latest and greatest” version of macOS due to legacy professional software that is not compatible. I expect this isn’t a problem for the majority of people here, including yourself. Because of this, after being shunted over to the Mac App Store to install new blocker extensions, I’m now told they aren’t compatible with my version of macOS, even though I now have the latest Safari running. Not a great situation.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Do people understand that Plugins and Extensions a two completely different things. Safari 12 has removed all support for legacy NPAPI plugins with the single exception of Adobe Flash.

https://developer.apple.com/safari/whats-new/

• Reply 30 of 33
    VitalyKVitalyK Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    @Kevin Oh, wow, you prompted me to check and sure enough, AdBlock Plus consumes 638MB of RAM. I have a dozen or so tabs open ATM.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    mdoss said:
    Yeah - it disabled uBlock Origin, AdBlock Plus, Ghostery etc., saying it will slow down performance.

I am now bombarded by ads on any page I visit!  And there are no updates to any of these extensions. Problem is, I am one of the few who prefers Safari to other browsers, and am now forced to either have ads or use some other browser.

And I do not understand what SpamSandwich is saying - I am on the latest and greatest updates to the OS and all other apps; so, what do you mean by being penalised for not updating to the latest OS?

Cheers
    Safari already has a minuscule share of the browser market and this is already starting to impact website compatibility for Safari users. With Safari 12, they've killed off uBlock Origin—by far the best content blocker on the market—as well as a slew of other useful extensions including Reddit Enhancement Suite.

While other browsers are embracing a standardized API for extensions, Apple is turning their backs on the extension developer community. Their only alternative is to a) spend $100 a year for a developer account, b) purchase and learn to use a Mac and Xcode. This is insane and completely unfeasible for a community of developers working for free on cross-platform extensions. Meanwhile, the selection of Apple-sanctioned extensions is a cesspool of me-too products that are neither effective nor easy to use.

Apple is going to lose the browser market entirely at this pace, which will force us Mac users to use crappy browsers like Chrome or Firefox.

edited September 2018
  • Reply 32 of 33
    maciekskontakt said:
    Who cares? The only time Safari is used is when some Apple app forces it and starts it instead of default browser. Firefox did great job in that department years ago with major improvement this year. Chrome sucks more because it is resource hog and bases business on adds. Why one would use niche browser?

Firefox sucks. It is ridiculously slow and unstable on macOS. It's user interface is completely non-native to the Mac, and its settings are ridiculous to access. Firefox is the Linux of web browsers.