Larger camera bump in iPhone XS may prevent reuse of some iPhone X cases

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
Owners of the iPhone X upgrading to the iPhone XS may not be able to use their existing smartphone cases with the new mobile device, after the discovery the rear camera protrusion on the iPhone XS is larger than the one on the earlier model, which could cause an issue for some protective accessories.

The iPhone XS is similar in terms of size to the iPhone X, sharing the same length, width, and thickness with last year's model. While this may mean that most cases made for the iPhone X will fit the iPhone XS, a report from Macotakara notes the slightly larger camera section on the back may be too big for cases where the camera cutout is made with the iPhone X's dimensions in mind.

It is likely the camera bump has been expanded to accommodate a new larger sensor for the wide-angle camera in the iPhone XS, which features an increased pixel pitch.

The iPhone X's camera unit measures 24.13 millimeters in length and 11.26 millimeters in width. According to the report's measurements, while the width for the iPhone XS's camera bump is marginally bigger at 11.27 millimeters, the length is 25.50 millimeters, making it 1.37 millimeters longer than that of the iPhone X.

In situations where the cutout in the rear of the case is produced to give a snug fit for the iPhone X camera bump, the same case is unlikely to be able to accommodate the larger iPhone XS bump. For those cases providing more space around the iPhone X camera, it is more likely the iPhone XS will be able to fit in with few problems.

An iPhone X inside an iPhone XS case (via Macotakara)
An iPhone X inside an iPhone XS case (via Macotakara)

The report also indicates the size issue also works in reverse, including for Apple's own cases for the iPhone XS. An iPhone X will fit within a case produced for an iPhone XS quite easily, but the rear cutout's bigger size can cause a noticeable gap around part of the camera bump, rather than fitting snuggly.

The size of the camera cutout may not be the only thing that could affect the usefulness of the case moving from iPhone X to iPhone XS.

The report also claims there to have been a change in the arrangement of Hall Effect sensors between the smartphones, used to automatically wake and sleep an iPhone by opening or closing a front cover, as the feature does not function in the iPhone XS when using an iPhone X Leather Folio case.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) Time to pul out the Dremel.

2) I wonder if anyone will claim that Apple only did that to sell more cases. 🤔
    GeorgeBMacjbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 15
    I can confirm as i was in an apple store yesterday there will be a new case design for the iphone Xs. They were drawing down inventory when i was in there and had no more than 5 first party apple branded iphone x cases in stock across all colors.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I’m confused. I don’t see where the photo shows an X case can’t be reused. That gap is so tiny.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I’m confused. I don’t see where the photo shows an X case can’t be reused. That gap is so tiny.
    Assuming the placement is the same there will probably be plenty of cases that still work, but also others that don't. It all depends on how tight the fit is, which I believe is why AI title included the word "may."
    jbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 15
    MalcolmOwenMalcolmOwen Posts: 28member, editor
    The photo depicts an iPhone X inside an iPhone XS case, which would cause a gap. The problem is the larger iPhone XS bump squeezing through the smaller iPhone X case cutout.
    randominternetpersonjbdragon
  • Reply 6 of 15
    The photo depicts an iPhone X inside an iPhone XS case, which would cause a gap. The problem is the larger iPhone XS bump squeezing through the smaller iPhone X case cutout.

Ah got it. I have a nice credit card holder case for my X. Hopefully it works with the XS.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    I figure anybody dumping an X after a year for an Xs probably can afford a new case.   I won't lose much sleep over this one.
    racerhomie3bonobobrandominternetpersonjbdragon
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I ordered a Bellroy case that was marked for XS, but they were just sending the same unit as for the X. You could tell from the item number on the invoice. I'll see if it fits on Friday when the XS arrives. Otherwise looks like I'll have to return it. I noticed they stopped selling cases for XS, so maybe they realized it wouldn't fit. Bummer.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 9 of 15
    nunzynunzy Posts: 662member
    People wwho buy Apple don't reuse old cases anyways. That would be tacky.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    better camera in XS, bigger bump, newer case. And if you upgrade from X than who wants to use that older beaten up case for $1000 Phone.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 11 of 15
    joe28753 said:
    I ordered a Bellroy case that was marked for XS, but they were just sending the same unit as for the X. You could tell from the item number on the invoice. I'll see if it fits on Friday when the XS arrives. Otherwise looks like I'll have to return it. I noticed they stopped selling cases for XS, so maybe they realized it wouldn't fit. Bummer.
    I have ordered, and received, an iPhone X case ready for my XS too. I have a sharp knife ready that I hope will resolve any small issues (I'll use it on the case, I think, not the phone).
  • Reply 12 of 15
    I am confused. You write the length of the XS camera bump is 25.5 mm but the image shows 24.5 mm. What is now correct?
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 13 of 15
    joe28753 said:
    I just Ordered a case I should have by Thursday. Is said X and XS. I'm sure they threw on the XS and it's the some old X case. It's cheap, and only temp. I couldn't make up my mind on what case I want for long term use and if I wanted to cover up the gold color? As the Case I got is Clear with a Stand. I need a case where I can also stand it up on the side. I use the stand all the time. I don't know if I'll really like the one I'm getting. I've also noticed that many cases don't work with Fake Wireless Charging. (Inductive Charging) Do I really want a Inductive Charger? The cases I've used in the past with a built in stand would never work on a Inductive Charger. The one I'm getting for the iPhone XS I don't think would work either and the stand would get in the way. It'll do until I find the perfect case for me.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    nunzy said:
    People wwho buy Apple don't reuse old cases anyways. That would be tacky.
    Just like your fake fanboy trolling.. tacky.
    nunzy
  • Reply 15 of 15
    The issue is that all these other blogs that already said X cases would fit -- I'm looking at your cnet!!! https://www.cnet.com/news/will-my-iphone-xs-fit-in-a-iphone-x-case-yes/