iPhone XS software improvements

Posted:
in iPhone
Hi there. 

I just saw some reviews of the camera of the new iphones and apart from the bigger sensor which boosts the low light performance there are no other differences. 

Then I saw the HDR pictures taken with the XS and I was just blown away - I have bot seen better HDR on a pho e before. 

Then I started thinking - as a proud owner of the last year’s X why am I punished not to get those great HDR capabilities and the portrait manual bokeh setting for that matter on my X?

So - do you think this is purely apple being evil and limiting those “software” goodies to the new pho es so blocks like me would have at least some reason to upgrade or you think it is purely not possible on the older hardware. 

We’ve seen plenty of new features being pushed to older and older devices through the years, but I feel personally a little mad at apple for this years marketing and strategy nonsense. 

Do you think these goodies might be coming to X owners as well in future or I am just being full of stupid hope?

cheers. 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    rado898989rado898989 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Come in guys, even if it is not some facts just share your opinions. 
  • Reply 2 of 3
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    Apple has been pretty explicit about this functionality becoming possible because of the new image signal processor and AI in the A12 architecture. 

AFAIK, third-party apps have been able to do the depth-adjusting on the X for a while now, but not in real time or as seamlessly. That requires the new processor. 

And the Smart HDR is explained in detail on Apple's homepage. It requires FAST processing of the sensor data. 
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Many of the software features that drive the iPhone XS family have been implemented on the iPhone X as well -- just not all of them. If required hardware doesn't exist in a phone, then the software can't do much of anything.