What a difference a year makes: Apple Watch Series 4 versus Series 3

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    GeorgeBMac said:
    And yes, most physicians seem to be positive on this.   Although I have heard a few worrying about "false positives" and "leading to unnecessary testing" and the like.   But, that is to be expected whenever a former medical procedure is released to the public.
    I can't remember which podcast I heard it on, but I think it was something like 6 or 12 indications are necessary before the Watch will alert, to prevent some of the false-positives from triggering too many into premature action. Though, I suppose the downside of that is that a few of those might be real problems that are then delayed in response.

mac_128 said:
    While the iPhone XS has the same rounded corners as the Series 4, it still has normal squared screenshots.
    Yeah, I don't get this whole rounded corner thing. It just chops off parts of the image. Are we going to have to go back to the old days of screen-safe areas for pixel-per-pixel LCDs, OLEDs, and such?
  • Reply 22 of 28
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mac_128 said:
    Something else interesting about those rounded corners is how Apple has implemented screenshots.

While the iPhone XS has the same rounded corners as the Series 4, it still has normal squared screenshots.

[image]

However on the Series 4, the screenshots are vignetted, with the rounded corners matching the display bezels, rather than a normal squared picture like the Series 3 and iPhone XS which it most closely resembles. Interesting that Apple would choose rounded pics rather than normal squared pics like everything else. The middle picture below is the new Series 4 screenshot. The right photo is the comparable Series 3 screenshot, or how it would look taken on an iPhone XS. 

[image]

I have to wonder if they intend to keep it this way, or conform it to match the way the iPhone XS handles it. 
    That's interesting and state observation. I wonder why the lac of symmetry between the two devices.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 28
    cgWerks said:
    GeorgeBMac said:
    And yes, most physicians seem to be positive on this.   Although I have heard a few worrying about "false positives" and "leading to unnecessary testing" and the like.   But, that is to be expected whenever a former medical procedure is released to the public.
    I can't remember which podcast I heard it on, but I think it was something like 6 or 12 indications are necessary before the Watch will alert, to prevent some of the false-positives from triggering too many into premature action. Though, I suppose the downside of that is that a few of those might be real problems that are then delayed in response.

mac_128 said:
    Yeah, I don't get this whole rounded corner thing. It just chops off parts of the image. Are we going to have to go back to the old days of screen-safe areas for pixel-per-pixel LCDs, OLEDs, and such?
    I don't think that actual accuracy and reliability have as much to do with those physicians who are expressing concern about it.   Rather, the education and culture of the medical community is to automatically distrust consumer grade products in favor of those controlled by the healthcare professionals.  It's a bias that has been drilled into them.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Soli said:
    Gnomic said:
    It appears that all versions of the Apple Watch Series 4 have a sapphire crystal. In Series 3 the aluminum versions feature Ion-X glass.

See the section "What's in your Apple Watch" in this support document titled "Wearing your Apple Watch".  There is no mention of Ion-X glass for any Series 4 watch:

This is a nice upgrade for Series 4 aluminum watches that none of the reviews I read have mentioned.
    Something is on Apple’s website is incorrect, and i’f Guess it’s the HT page.

If you click on any of the aluminium models you should see Ion-X listed.

• https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch/apple-watch

However, what has changed is that all Watches now seem to have ceramic and sapphire backs, instead of plastic and plastic.
    Thanks for pointing out the info on the Buy page.  

There was no mention of the watch crystal on the Apple Watch Series 4 - Design page.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Gnomic said:
    Soli said:
    Gnomic said:
    It appears that all versions of the Apple Watch Series 4 have a sapphire crystal. In Series 3 the aluminum versions feature Ion-X glass.

See the section "What's in your Apple Watch" in this support document titled "Wearing your Apple Watch".  There is no mention of Ion-X glass for any Series 4 watch:

This is a nice upgrade for Series 4 aluminum watches that none of the reviews I read have mentioned.
    Something is on Apple’s website is incorrect, and i’f Guess it’s the HT page.

If you click on any of the aluminium models you should see Ion-X listed.

• https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch/apple-watch

However, what has changed is that all Watches now seem to have ceramic and sapphire backs, instead of plastic and plastic.
    Thanks for pointing out the info on the Buy page.  

There was no mention of the watch crystal on the Apple Watch Series 4 - Design page.
    It looks like I'm incorrect about all the Series 4 Watches coming with sapphire crystals inlay for the ceramic back. If it's just an aluminium GPS model, it looks like it's still plastic inlays.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Soli said:
    nht said:
    With Apple Watch's main thrust going towards health and fitness I would like to see a comparison done by say, a cross country coach or committed athlete.

Also, I cringe at the statement that the single lead EKG on the Apple Watch provides the same amount of information ("does the same thing") as a 12 lead in a physician's office.   They don't put those extra 11 leads on because they're bored.   Each lead serves an explicit purpose that no single lead can match.   That's not to disparage the AW EKG -- just the claim that its "does the same" as medical grade 12 lead.  That's like claiming a pickup truck does the same as a 12 ton dump truck.   Yes, they both "carry stuff", but...
    Unless the article has been edited the statement is this:

"Though it is restricted in terms of accuracy -- equivalent to a one-lead ECG versus the 12-lead medical standard"

I don't think that's the same as what you claim.

https://www.healio.com/cardiology/arrhythmia-disorders/news/online/{60ccdb24-e448-4832-bcbc-f696acb31b19}/cardiologists-react-to-new-apple-watch-ecg-capabilities

Cardiology Today seems upbeat about it...as a lead 1 it's mostly there to detect a-fib and irregularities.  AliveCore has a 6 lead device coming...that should be interesting and about as good as a holder monitor.
    He knows better, but he's been bitching about it since it was announced despite Apple being very clear even during their presentation where they clearly refer to it as a single-lead device. He's even claimed that it could never help save a life, that on one in any medial setting of any kind would ever even look at eh results of a single-lead device, and even got confused as to what an echocardiogram (ECHO) and electrocardiograph (ECK) were in a ridiculously straightforward conversation. 
    T R O L L !
    L I A R !
    L I A R !
    L I A R !
    T R O L L !
    Er, are you okay? Do you require medical assistance?
    i'm fine.   But a little tired of being trolled by Soli and his cherry picking, distortions and lies....   This is not the first time.   He might need some medical assistance though.   A Risperdal injection might help him. 
    Says the guy that resorts to petty personal attacks when he's quoted. If you don't like being called out for making stupid comments… then don't make stupid comments and certainly don't doubledown on nonsense that a single-lead ECK would NEVER be used ANY medical staff in ANY setting, and claim that the results one brings to your doctor to read could NEVER potentially save a life. You've not only doubled down on that, you've tripled, quadrupled—I can't even keep track with the number of eyerolls I've made reading your dangerous comments. You've even claimed that Apple wasn't clear enough about referring to it as single-lead device even though they've made that crystal clear. Even worse, you claimed it's not a real ECK because it's not a 12-lead device. That's akin to saying that Navstar isn't "real" GPS because it's not nearly as accurate as QZSS. Both are GPS even is one is considerably more accurate than the other. If you're only option is accuracy is within 5M and that's all you need for a particular use case than there's no reason to bitch about it not being as good as 0.01M.

Detecting A-Fib is not a scam!
    edited September 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 28
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    GeorgeBMac said:
    I don't think that actual accuracy and reliability have as much to do with those physicians who are expressing concern about it.   Rather, the education and culture of the medical community is to automatically distrust consumer grade products in favor of those controlled by the healthcare professionals.  It's a bias that has been drilled into them. 
    Yeah, I'm sure there is some of that too. As I've learned a lot more about health/nutrition over the past decade, I've started seeing a naturopath. It's amazing how 'traditional' doctors act when I mention it or ask records to be shared (some refuse, btw, so I have to do it manually). It is almost like they want people to have poor health (i.e.: skip the preventative) so they are defending turf. I think it is just ignorance, but it sometimes seems that way.