iPhone XS Max dramatically outselling iPhone XS, Apple Watch Series 4 sales exceeding all ...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Did he project nearly 20 million watches? Consider the entry new watch cost more than late iPhone SE and many Watch body- and -band configurations are priced as much as iPhone Xr. This holiday will be a wake up call for the analyst stragglers. (BTW, iOS 12 upgrade on my X fast and smooth as butter. If you do watch too, takes awhile, like five hours for my Series 3)
  • Reply 22 of 36
    One wonders what would have happened if there had been an XR Max phone released at the same time?
  • Reply 23 of 36
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    I upgraded from the x to the xsmax. Doesn’t make sense to move up from the x to xs. Also I was very surprised when I went to an apple store in San Francisco they had plenty of xsmax in stock and I only had to wait maybe 10 minutes. There just aren’t lines anymore and maybe there’s just more stock available than previous years. That frenzy of waiting in line for hours doesn’t happen anymore. 
    I think the iPhone upgrade program pre- orders and also being able to pre-order and lease through the individual carriers definitely cut down the amount of people waiting on line.

I had an appointment @ 6PM 09/21 to pick up my Max through the IUP at my local apple store.  There were about 30 people on line with me. A couple people for watches, but mostly for iPhone.  I was actually surprised to have to wait on line at that time of evening to be honest.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 36
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 403member
    I just want to hear Tim Cook say, "the weekend exceeded our expectations". Then its off to the races.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Looks like people want and are liking big screens.  At this rate I'd be surprised if the 5.8" XS sticks around next year.
    I'd assume the lower sales of the XS is a result of the iPhone X being the same size with fairly similar specs. I have the X, love the size, but didn't feel like the XS had enough to warrant an upgrade.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 36
    stoneyg said:
    Looks like people want and are liking big screens.  At this rate I'd be surprised if the 5.8" XS sticks around next year.
    I'd assume the lower sales of the XS is a result of the iPhone X being the same size with fairly similar specs. I have the X, love the size, but didn't feel like the XS had enough to warrant an upgrade.
    If you're a current iPhone X user, I agree there's no big incentive to upgrade to the XS but only 15% of Apple's iPhone user base is using an iPhone that's newer than an iPhone 7 series.  That means 85% of iPhone users are ripe for upgrade.

https://www.aboveavalon.com/notes/2018/8/15/apples-growth-story
    edited September 2018 fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 36
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Folio said:
    Did he project nearly 20 million watches? Consider the entry new watch cost more than late iPhone SE and many Watch body- and -band configurations are priced as much as iPhone Xr. This holiday will be a wake up call for the analyst stragglers. (BTW, iOS 12 upgrade on my X fast and smooth as butter. If you do watch too, takes awhile, like five hours for my Series 3)
    I can see the watch being huge because of the ecg alone bringing in a couple Million seniors just interested in the heart function .   And many of them will be switchers from Android who will buy an iPhone too.   They may not show up one day one but word of mouth will get around.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 36
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    mac_128 said:

I love how we’re talking about the 5.8 as “the smaller form factor” of the iPhone line.

Im thinking the 4.7” is the size they’re going to have to decide about keeping soon, repackaged into a smaller bezeless case with any luck.
    They can ditch the 4.7” line because people who want the smaller form factor (I liked the now defunct SE myself) can just take their Apple Watch when they want to travel light.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 36
    maestro64 said:
    Need to put Ming and Zhang in the same room and let the duke it out and see who win in the anal war.
    It's easy to post projections that are correct when you post both sides of the same coin.

"Kuo's report seems contradictory to one published earlier on Monday, that claimed that iPhone sales were "weak," also 
    citing supply channel checks. "

watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 36
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    JWSC said:
    mac_128 said:

I love how we’re talking about the 5.8 as “the smaller form factor” of the iPhone line.

Im thinking the 4.7” is the size they’re going to have to decide about keeping soon, repackaged into a smaller bezeless case with any luck.
    They can ditch the 4.7” line because people who want the smaller form factor (I liked the now defunct SE myself) can just take their Apple Watch when they want to travel light.
    That could well be the thinking. But it needs to be a truly stand alone device. I’m surprised that the Apple Watch still needs the iPhone. I thought by now you’d at least be able to use it with the iPad without owning an iPhone — that’s one way to expand the market base as many Android users also have iPads and Macs.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    mac_128 said:
    I’m surprised that the Apple Watch still needs the iPhone.
    I think that would need a fairly significant rewrite and/or update of WatchOS. Many WatchOS apps get their data from their iOS app counterparts, as well as relying on iOS for configuration and setup. Can you imagine, for example, trying to sign into a service or entering a WiFi password on the Watch by itself?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Overall, Kuo is expecting Apple to sell between 75 million and 80 million iPhones in the launch period.

That's a huge number considering this is the S year... Personally, I don't see Apple to sell that high, but higher than from 7 to 7S.

• Reply 33 of 36
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    hmlongco said:
    mac_128 said:
    I’m surprised that the Apple Watch still needs the iPhone.
    I think that would need a fairly significant rewrite and/or update of WatchOS. Many WatchOS apps get their data from their iOS app counterparts, as well as relying on iOS for configuration and setup. Can you imagine, for example, trying to sign into a service or entering a WiFi password on the Watch by itself?
    Interesting. I suppose that makes if different than the original iPad requiring iTunes. The iPad became autonomous after 2-3 generations I think, then again it has a much more easy to use interface ... I would think that a setup app could be easily created for any platform however. Certainly the iPad and Mac would be simple. But if the Apps are actively communicating with the phone, then that would present a problem.

I have to imagine that’s the ultimate goal though. Really all that’s required to set up an AppleWatch is a website, and local Bluetooth or NFC pairing. Third party apps should communicate via the cloud as well. Set up an Apple ID, pair the watch to the computer, tablet, or phone, configure via iCloud Watch app, and download the settings to the watch.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    maestro64 said:
    Need to put Ming and Zhang in the same room and let the duke it out and see who win in the anal war.

If it's an anal war, I don't want to watch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 36
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    I suspect a year from now the Xs will have outsold the Xs Max.  But initial sales always seem to favor the larger phones.  All the enthusiasts and early adopters probably tend to favor the large screen.

I love my Max. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 36
    I have the X, and love it. I checked out the XS and XS Max at Best Buy over the weekend and I think I'll stick to the XS size. I want the upgrade for the extra storage and the new cameras, but I just didn't feel like the content density was increased enough to warrant the extra $100 and the larger size to carry around. The XS is perfectly sized for me. I'm a few more weeks away from ordering though.

Also, the AW4 for certain. Though I want to see one in person as I'm thinking the 40mm might be enough since it's screen is larger than my 42mm AW3.
    watto_cobra