Apple TV gets minor tvOS 12.0.1 update

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
In conjunction with macOS Mojave Apple has also released a minor maintenance update for the Apple TV and Apple TV 4K, tvOS 12.0.1.

Apple TV 4K

If an Apple TV isn't configured to download updates automatically, tvOS 12.0.1 can be forced by opening the Settings app, then selecting System, Software Updates, and finally "Update Software."

It's so far unknown what's new in the software. Accompanying notes are empty, implying that it at best provides minor bug and security fixes.

tvOS 12 was originally released earlier this month. The upgrade brought long-delayed Dolby Atmos surround sound, as well "zero sign-on," allowing some people authenticate a cable provider without typing in credentials.

The software also enabled third-party remotes, password AutoFill, and smaller enhancements like NASA screensavers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I was surprised and thrilled to see my screen screensaver come up as an outer space view of the earth! Very cool. 
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I HOPE this makes the HomePod audio output selection "permanent" like I thought iOS 12.0 was supposed to do.
    stanhope
  • Reply 3 of 9
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    Should we just stop posting screenshots of Sky?

It's been over a year and no games take advantage of the AppleTV 4K yet. I give up. 
  • Reply 4 of 9
    anyone else have the issue when Automatic Download Update is toggled on, and it does not automatically update...every time i have to go in an manually do the update
  • Reply 5 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    zroger73 said:
    I HOPE this makes the HomePod audio output selection "permanent" like I thought iOS 12.0 was supposed to do.
     ...  and louder on AppleTV!
    stanhope
  • Reply 6 of 9
    For us that uses subtitles this update made them work again. 
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I think tvOS 12 runs more slowly than tvOS 11.x that came before.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    imatimat Posts: 208member
    So. I have an iPhone X with Siri in italian which works flawlessly. My Apple Watch understands Siri in italian without a problem. Yet my AppleTV does not understand italian. Moreover... In Italy it does, yet in the italian speaking part of Switzerland, Siri in italian is disabled! And my HomePod forces me to ask everything in english and there is no italian support in sight. While I can understand it for the HomePod, it is very hard to accept it for my AppleTV, especially because it does support it in italy!! And, believe me, we speak "the same italian" (the border is less than 10km from where I live). Every time my ATV gets an update I immediately check if Siri is FINALLY available but no. Nothing. The only problem with HomePod is that it messes room names, because I did set them in italian and Siri doesn't understand them.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    MacPro said:
    zroger73 said:
     ...  and louder on AppleTV!
    AMEN....compared to my sound bar, the homepod whispers