Waze hits Apple CarPlay in iOS 12, becomes second third-party navigation app available

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2020
On Monday, Waze for iOS updated with support for CarPlay, becoming just the second app to take advantage of third-party navigation support introduced in iOS 12.

Waze on CarPlay

The Waze interface for CarPlay supports many of the same options as the standard iPhone version, including the ability to report traffic, accidents, police, and hazards like ice or flooding. It also offers voice search, though this must be triggered in-app instead of via Siri.

Some other options include the ability to use day and night modes at any hour, and change the graphic used to represent your car.

The first third-party navigation app to adopt CarPlay was another Google property, Maps, but there are differences between the two. Only Waze, for instance, has reporting features and an assortment of guidance voices.

Waze is a free download, and runs on iPhones with iOS 9 or later. CarPlay requires not just iOS 12 but a compatible dash interface.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    This is good news.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Not an Uber or Lyft Driver, but I'm sure it would be useful for them have the app run in CarPlay, so they don't put their phone in a cradle on their dash.
    bloggerblog
  • Reply 3 of 13
    We will still need to have our phone out as we need to control the Lyft and Uber apps. Also if we use Lyft and Uber's builtin navagation, like I do it doesn't show up on the dash. If we want the navagation to show up on the dash we need to link our apps to an exturnal map like Google or Waze and I don't do that as it takes too load to loud the maps vs alsmo instant using their builtin navagation.
    Not an Uber or Lyft Driver, but I'm sure it would be useful for them have the app run in CarPlay, so they don't put their phone in a cradle on their dash.
    MustSeeUHDTV
  • Reply 4 of 13
    For those wondering why Sygic or TomTom haven’t appeared on Apple CarPlay (I’m not a programmer or coder so bear with my very brief theory), I believe that the fact that the maps are stored on the phone and are not web based means a different programming protocol is needed to allow the app to work with CarPlay. Sygic’s Facebook and Twitter feeds say the app is in the review phase and should be released soon. TomTom says their app won’t be released until early next year.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    tzterri said:
    We will still need to have our phone out as we need to control the Lyft and Uber apps. Also if we use Lyft and Uber's builtin navagation, like I do it doesn't show up on the dash. If we want the navagation to show up on the dash we need to link our apps to an exturnal map like Google or Waze and I don't do that as it takes too load to loud the maps vs alsmo instant using their builtin navagation.
    Ah. I would think that you could control the Uber/Lyft apps on the CarPlay display if they implemented it, but I can see your reasoning to keep it separate.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Waze is owned by Google these days, for those unaware....

Still hoping to see TrackAddict w/CarPlay!  FTW!

http://racerender.com/Products/index.html
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 7 of 13
    For those wondering why Sygic or TomTom haven’t appeared on Apple CarPlay (I’m not a programmer or coder so bear with my very brief theory), I believe that the fact that the maps are stored on the phone and are not web based means a different programming protocol is needed to allow the app to work with CarPlay. Sygic’s Facebook and Twitter feeds say the app is in the review phase and should be released soon. TomTom says their app won’t be released until early next year.
    Sygic update should be released any day now. 
  • Reply 8 of 13
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    Have not tried Waze in CarPlay yet, but used Google Maps on a weekend road trip.

Google Maps works well in iOS, but apparently Siri will still steer you to Apple's inferior product- yes, I said inferior. Apple should put a preference switch that shits Apple Maps off if you select Waze or Google Maps as your primary navigation while in CarPlay.

Apple Maps routing is still horrible and the map tries to route you even when you select ETA only. This constant churning of the app makes my phone hot when in city driving and not following the route it apparently prefers. My routes are usually quicker than Apple's and Google's tend to split the difference. I'm guessing Apple's software is less efficient than Google's.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    AldridgeAldridge Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    Finally! Been waiting for this one!!
  • Reply 10 of 13
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Still pissed stubborn Apple didn't buy Waze before Google....
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Beta testing version for Sygic just released today.

• Reply 12 of 13
    mpgranatampgranata Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Just downloaded the updated Waze. The app is working but the police/hazard/construction notifications are not showing on the car screen. Unplugged and restarted iPhone and still not showing. 2017 GMC Sierra. 
  • Reply 13 of 13
    mpgranata said:
    Just downloaded the updated Waze. The app is working but the police/hazard/construction notifications are not showing on the car screen. Unplugged and restarted iPhone and still not showing. 2017 GMC Sierra. 
    I've had some catastrophic errors from this Waze update as well. It caused my entire Car Play integration to reboot repeatedly until I shut the car off. Really bad bug. Could it be due to iOS 12? Maybe, but it didn't do this before I used Waze.