Why did Apple spend $400M to acquire Shazam?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    I wish Apple would buy Sirius and make it less garbage with CarPlay. Right now Sirius on CarPlay is a dumpster fire.
    Sirius just bought Pandora, so I don’t think they have any intention of selling for now. 
  • Reply 22 of 28
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,665member
    hexclock said:
    I wish Apple would buy Sirius and make it less garbage with CarPlay. Right now Sirius on CarPlay is a dumpster fire.
    Sirius just bought Pandora, so I don’t think they have any intention of selling for now. 
    Are either of those services available outside the United States?
  • Reply 23 of 28
    eightzero said:
    TL;DR but one of the annoying things about the concept is that it won't work via CarPlay. Siri refuses to listen and tell me what is on. And the place I listen to music most is, you guessed it, in the car.
    I use SoundHound in my car and it works better. Siri is a bit mess-up (and mix-up) when dealing with bluetooth in my car.
    edited September 2018
  • Reply 24 of 28
    D_CMillsD_CMills Posts: 26unconfirmed, member
    davgreg said:
    As to advertising, I block it all and the harder they try to put it in front of me the harder I resist. AR in the consumer market seems to be similar to self driving cars- the answer to the question nobody on the end user side was asking.
    I don't know, I think people have been asking for self driving cars since sci-fi became popular half a century ago. I certainly am looking forward to the technology, and am excited I will see it in my lifetime.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    claire1claire1 Posts: 510unconfirmed, member
    I was elated when I heard apple bought Shazam. It all made sense!

Firefly was my favorite feature of the crappy iWannabe Amazon released.

I mentioned Apple Music could use more live radio like Sirius does. Didn't think of a Sirius acquisition, sounds like a good idea.

Or Apple can start creating new stations like Beats Electronic, Beats Rock, Apple News Radio etc.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 28
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,077member
    Not going to happen with Sirius buying pandora.   Isn't Sirius old media?   I worry more about Apples investment (or lack of Sufficient investment) in Display technology and Cell Modems.   Hopefully Apple will own its own Micro-LED tech and not have to pay through the nose for it.   And if Apple is going to pass on Qualcomm modem's it should be developing its own in house. 
  • Reply 27 of 28
    spheric said:
    hexclock said:
    Are either of those services available outside the United States?
    None. Only Deezer works internationally.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    It has all led up to this: