Google Maps for iPhone gains Apple Music controls, new commuting options

Posted:
in iPhone
Google on Monday revealed a major update of Google Maps rolling out to iOS and Android this week, including a new Commute tab and support for music service control without switching apps.

Google Maps Spotify

Users will soon be able to control Spotify, Apple Music, and Google Play Music, including podcasts, Google said. Typically however drivers will only be able to play, pause, or skip tracks -- browsing content such as playlists will be limited to Spotify subscribers on Android.

Similar integration is already in another Google app, Waze.

The Commute tab will incorporate live traffic and transit data, such as real-time display of bus and train locations in 80 regions. People in Sydney, Australia will even be able to find out how full the next ride is so they don't try to rush for a full carriage.

Other features include forecasts based on traffic and accidents, and alternate routes as backup. Only Android users will get mid-route notifications about disruptions, but everyone will be able to see the complete details of "mixed-mode" trips -- i.e. driving traffic, train departures, and walking times.

Google Maps Commute

The free iPhone and iPad app should be updated sometime this week.

Google recently updated both Waze and Google Maps to take advantage of third-party CarPlay navigation introduced with iOS 12. Drivers have sometimes complained about being limited to Apple Maps, which while regularly improving still lacks the options and accuracy offered by Google. It's not yet clear if Google Maps' CarPlay interface will get music support.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Now, I am not saying adding Google maps was the cause, it may have been a complete coincidence ...but the next time I was driving after adding Google maps the maps on the display were backward, not the text but the map itself. This both on Apple maps and Google Maps, but not the Pioneer's built-in NAV system.  It is a new wireless AVIC-W8400NEX.

So I was going backward according to the map, up was down and down was up and left right transposed.  Even Siri got her knickers in a twist.  If I asked for directions from A to B she would show the route with the car already at B and facing backward.  The second I’d start she start telling me to do a U-turn as I’d already arrived.  It was funny, but annoying all at the same time lol.

The dealership that installed it had no idea what to do, so I thought what the hell ...  I rebooted the Pioneer using the factory rest option I found buried deep in the menus and voila all is fixed.  Pretty friggin' weird!

edited October 2018 SoundJudgmentJanNLSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 4
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I made this feature request for Apple's Maps app after a recent road trip. When driving, it can be awkward to swipe up to control music playback. Having a simple controller onscreen would be great.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    MacPro said:

The dealership that installed it had no idea what to do, so I thought what the hell ...  I rebooted the Pioneer using the factory rest option I found buried deep in the menus and voila all is fixed.  Pretty friggin' weird!

Mr. MacPro, if I may ask... Next week I'm installing the EU equivalent of your Pioneer, the AVH-Z9100DAB+. Do you know if your dealership installed the external GPS antenna? Or is the signal from the iPone enough?

Thanks, Jan
  • Reply 4 of 4
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    MacPro said:
    Now, I am not saying adding Google maps was the cause, it may have been a complete coincidence ...but the next time I was driving after adding Google maps the maps on the display were backward, not the text but the map itself. This both on Apple maps and Google Maps, but not the Pioneer's built-in NAV system.  It is a new wireless AVIC-W8400NEX.

So I was going backward according to the map, up was down and down was up and left right transposed.  Even Siri got her knickers in a twist.  If I asked for directions from A to B she would show the route with the car already at B and facing backward.  The second I’d start she start telling me to do a U-turn as I’d already arrived.  It was funny, but annoying all at the same time lol.

That would've made for a very interesting YouTube video.