Apple's Greg Joswiak argues most people will keep iOS 12's Screen Time on, change behavior...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member

eightzero said:
    Pretty sure private employers would like this data. 
    My employer, a hospital, has a strict policy of "On Stage and Off Stage" for all employees.

We are not to be using personal devices- even on break- if we are where the public can see us. All internet capable devices are monitored with a system called Fair Warning that is capable of tracking not only pages visited, but cursor movement. They do operate a public wireless network for visitors and employees and that is monitored at a certain level.

We also have cameras most everywhere.

They do not pay you to shop on eBay or talk to your imaginary friends on Facebook

Businesses are funny that way- they expect you to work when they are paying you to work.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 22 of 38
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,139member
    eightzero said:
    ... and perhaps less honourable interests ...
    This seems a very powerful and deep level feature, hopefully never abused ...
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    davgreg said:

eightzero said:
    My employer, a hospital, has a strict policy of "On Stage and Off Stage" for all employees.

We are not to be using personal devices- even on break- if we are where the public can see us. All internet capable devices are monitored with a system called Fair Warning that is capable of tracking not only pages visited, but cursor movement. They do operate a public wireless network for visitors and employees and that is monitored at a certain level.

They do not pay you to shop on eBay or talk to your imaginary friends on Facebook

Businesses are funny that way- they expect you to work when they are paying you to work.
    In my experience, companies that expend so much time and energy mistrusting their employees have usually taken their eye off the ball somewhere else.
    darkvaderStrangeDaysmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 38
    g4waldo said:
    I turned it on and find the info quite interesting. I would say it makes me think more about how much I'm looking at my phone, and sometimes I'm amazed how much time is spent on certain items. He's right, I would have guessed wrong on my own usage. However, I can finally prove to my wife she's on her phone much more than I am. That alone makes it my favorite iOS 12 feature.
    Boy you said it.  My wife's favorite refrain was, "You are always on your phone..." and I kept telling her that when iOS12 drops we are going to see who is really on their phone the most.  The very first week my average usage was about 4 hours a day for all devices which included our nightly viewing of a 30 minute sitcom on my iPad and me reading our daughter a book most nights. Her usage (drum roll please) was more than 5 hours.  I haven't heard the "You are always on your phone" meme since.

I think the ScreenTime function could be (and likely will be) further improved.  I would like an actual report that could be saved so I can reference back, as well as the ability to have custom reports with other time frames (not just a week, but a month or 6 months, etc.)   I would also like to be able to make my own categories for apps and customize reports to discount those categories for usage.  (For example I would like to "white list" iBooks).

seankill said:
    I have it on but it will result in 0 change in use habits for me. Doubt it’ll change anyone I know. 
    Everyone will, of course, decide for themselves what they find healthy or "healthy enough" with their device usage just like they do with eating habits, exercise, sleep, etc.  In my case though, I have altered my usage (less time playing games) now that I can see how much time I was wasting there.  I only play casual games, but at the beginning my games accounted for more that 50% of my total usage.  Now games account for about a third and I would like to drop it to 25% (without increasing my overall usage), but I frequently go over my limit on days where I'm waiting for something (transit, pick up/drop off kids, before an appointment, etc.).
    edited October 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 38
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    chasm said:
    The most useless feature of iOS 12. A focus on the Health app would be more useful.
    It is part of a focus on the health app. Not looking at your phone so much = probably moving around doing things = healthier, or at least a better real life/internet balance.
    Agree 100% !
    ScreenTime is helping me be more conscious of my effort to lower my FB usage, and it is helping. I'll know I've really made best use of
    I have an even better suggestion to help in your effort to lower your fb usage (your own words!).  You might think I'm just being a smartass, but I'm dead serious. 

Simply delete the app from your phone.

There are so many reasons why this is a great thing to do, not the least of which is simply not supporting the corporate surveillance economy, allowing for a less-distracting life in general (better task concentration), much better battery life, etc.

Ideally people would just delete their accounts, but note that's not what I'm suggesting here.  If and when you feel the need to reach out to someone that (god-forbid) only interacts with others via fb, then you can sign on via your laptop or desktop computer.  But the horrific psychology experiment that is fb-on-mobile needs to be killed.
    edited October 2018 macplusplusmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 38
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Maybe the device could start to feel hot if you used it too long, such that you had to drop it.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member
    It's disabled.

I have no interest.  If I pick up my phone, it's because I either want to pick up my phone or need to pick up my phone.

I'm not using the phone that much anyway.  It would distract me from the computer.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    davgreg said:

eightzero said:

Similar for my wife. Also a hospital. People have been terminated for having phone out in public areas.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Turned off during set up. No need for a nanny.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    davgreg said:

eightzero said:

Are you allowed to flip thru the paper?
  • Reply 31 of 38
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member

mike1 said:
    Turned off during set up. No need for a nanny.
    Explain how it’s a nanny? It provides data to you, which you can then use as you see fit, including setting category usage limits for offspring. *You* act as the nanny, not the usage data. Data is just information from which to make decisions. Data is not a nanny.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 32 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    anome said:
    I'm getting the reports, but I have no intention of changing my behaviour. The whole "everyone keeps looking at their phones" thing has been pissing me off for a while, now. (I may have mentioned it previously.) I'd rather look at my phone than interact with the people around me, as a general rule. At least on my phone I have some choices about who I talk to or listen to on the bus, without my phone I might have to listen to the people around me who think they're interesting enough to be worth my attention.
    This is America and we have the right to listen to or ignore whomever we want. 👏
  • Reply 33 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mbenz1962 said:
    g4waldo said:
    I turned it on and find the info quite interesting. I would say it makes me think more about how much I'm looking at my phone, and sometimes I'm amazed how much time is spent on certain items. He's right, I would have guessed wrong on my own usage. However, I can finally prove to my wife she's on her phone much more than I am. That alone makes it my favorite iOS 12 feature.
    Boy you said it.  My wife's favorite refrain was, "You are always on your phone..." and I kept telling her that when iOS12 drops we are going to see who is really on their phone the most.  The very first week my average usage was about 4 hours a day for all devices which included our nightly viewing of a 30 minute sitcom on my iPad and me reading our daughter a book most nights. Her usage (drum roll please) was more than 5 hours.  I haven't heard the "You are always on your phone" meme since.

I think the ScreenTime function could be (and likely will be) further improved.  I would like an actual report that could be saved so I can reference back, as well as the ability to have custom reports with other time frames (not just a week, but a month or 6 months, etc.)   I would also like to be able to make my own categories for apps and customize reports to discount those categories for usage.  (For example I would like to "white list" iBooks).

seankill said:
    I have it on but it will result in 0 change in use habits for me. Doubt it’ll change anyone I know. 
    Everyone will, of course, decide for themselves what they find healthy or "healthy enough" with their device usage just like they do with eating habits, exercise, sleep, etc.  In my case though, I have altered my usage (less time playing games) now that I can see how much time I was wasting there.  I only play casual games, but at the beginning my games accounted for more that 50% of my total usage.  Now games account for about a third and I would like to drop it to 25% (without increasing my overall usage), but I frequently go over my limit on days where I'm waiting for something (transit, pick up/drop off kids, before an appointment, etc.).
    It’s not nice to “prove you’re right” to the wife. Didn’t they teach you that when you got married?   ;)
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 34 of 38
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Here is what I found out, I do not spend much time in front of my phone screen, may between and 1 or 2 hrs total on any given day. No habits to change on my part and most like will never look at it again. 

In reality people just need to have self discipline and should not need a gadget to tell them they have bad habits. Why didn't they ever do this for TV's to tell kids to stop looking at the screen.

Every once in a while the wife and I when the weather sucks we will sit and watch TV all day, just veg out. DTV will let your know you watched for 4 hours with our changing the channel or interacting with the system and then shut off. When the TV does this we realize we should not be just sitting around doing nothing. For most part this hardly comes up. But recently we been bing watching shows and realize this was bad can changed our habits, so we doing more house projects. People just need to stop making excuses.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    I get it, but it is a sad comment on people's personal strength that they have to rely on something like this feature to get things in their life into proper proportions.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    mbenz1962 said:
    g4waldo said:

seankill said:
    It’s not nice to “prove you’re right” to the wife. Didn’t they teach you that when you got married?   ;)
    Lol. Post of the year!!!!
  • Reply 37 of 38
    BannefBannef Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I have found it invaluable. I have chronic pain issues that can be affected by typing on a keyboard or on the phone. At this moment I am using voice to text, but I'm on the go a lot, and voice to text isn't convenient or possible everywhere. I had considered dumping smart phones entirely, but some days I need to rely on Uber. Besides, smart phones are lightweight, and can replace multiple tools that I would need to be carrying otherwise, such as a calendar and books, and the same nerve that typing can affect runs through my shoulder, and when it is already aggravated it makes heavy bags a liability.

It has been really helpful to have hard data on how often I'm picking up my phone, and how it corresponds with the pain I feel that day. I ended up putting really severe limits on Safari and Messages, and it has helped a lot. (I had already excluded things like Facebook.)

My two requests to Apple: 1) Create Screen Time for laptops. That's fairly self explanatory. And:

2) Please allow auto-replies via Messages that don't rely on having the phone in Driving Mode. I was about to switch to Android when Screen Time came out, because they have easy and customizable auto-replies. Most people I know text message without even thinking, and some days that is the most convenient tool for me to use as well (such as when I'm in a quiet place and can use voice to text). But being able to turn on an auto reply on bad days, and automatically let my friends know that they are going to need to call me if they want me to see their message quickly would solve a lot of issues for me.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Jason_TroyJason_Troy Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    This is a good start from Apple. Although from the point of view of more robust parental controls and screen time management, iOS 12 has been largely inadequate. Here are 5 reasons why iOS parental controls & Screen Time don't work for families at all: http://bit.ly/2AosQDx