Apple's Wallet can now be used at some universities as an ID and dorm key

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2018
Students at Duke University, the University of Alabama and the University of Oklahoma, students can now add their ID card to Apple Wallet and use it to pay for services at school, or unlock a dorm room door.

Apple Pay and Wallet on campus

When a student authenticates, the ID appears on the lock screen. Following the pop-up, it will then have the user verify identity with Face ID or Touch ID, in the same fashion as an Apple Pay transaction. The technology is the same one that Apple used at the 2018 WWDC for attendee authentication.

"iPhone and Apple Watch have brought us into a new era of mobility, helping to transform everyday experiences," said Jennifer Bailey, Apple's vice president of Internet Services. "When we launched Apple Pay, we embarked on a goal to replace the physical wallet. By adding transit, loyalty cards and contactless ticketing we have expanded the capabilities of Wallet beyond payments, and we're now thrilled to be working with campuses on adding contactless student ID cards to bring customers even more easy, convenient and secure experiences."

The launch of iOS 11 brought Core NFC, a framework that lets developers tap into iPhone's onboard NFC chip to scan NFC Data Exchange Format (NDEF) data tags. In the iPhone XS family, Background Tag Reading will automatically read NFC tags, and deliver the data it collects to the appropriate apps -- which Apple notes can speed identification process at supporting universities.

The changes to Core NFC are a continuation of Apple's efforts to open up the technology for other uses. In Apple Park, Apple employees are already using iPhones and Apple Watches to unlock doors via NFC, something highlighted in the September event's opening skit.

Johns Hopkins, Santa Clara and Temple Universities will bring the capability by the end of this school year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Now, if only Department of Homeland Security would clarify the REAL ID requirements for smart devices, maybe Apple and Google could do this for official ID.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    "REAL ID requirements for smart devices, maybe Apple and Google could do this for official ID" Umm no I'd rather not unlock my phone to prove I'm a US citizen. They are likely to take it while it is unlocked and download the data for "security and safety" reasons. Because really that's ok, you don't have anything to hide.
    edited October 2018 supadav03jbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 8
    peteo said:
    "REAL ID requirements for smart devices, maybe Apple and Google could do this for official ID" Umm no I'd rather not unlock my phone to prove I'm a US citizen. They are likely to take it while it is unlocked and download the data for "security and safety" reasons. Because really that's ok, you don't have anything to hide.
    Umm, well -- good news, friend -- you wouldn't have to unlock your phone.

If you have an iPhone you, right now, can use Apple Pay (which requires Touch/FaceID) yet keep iOS completely locked.  Go ahead, give it a try.

Also, why would you be handing your phone over in the first place? The easiest implementation would be for police (or bouncers) to just scan a QR code anyways.

Take off your tinfoil cap and relax.
    edited October 2018 StrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 8
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Now, if only Department of Homeland Security would clarify the REAL ID requirements for smart devices, maybe Apple and Google could do this for official ID.
    So does anyone know if this system in use at these universities also supports Android phones and wallets? Is it exclusively iOS?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    lkrupp said:
    So does anyone know if this system in use at these universities also supports Android phones and wallets? Is it exclusively iOS?
    Exclusively iOS, unfortunately.  It's essentially a closed beta for Apple Wallet, it seems.  

That said, while there are some differences in how iOS and Android implement NFC, I don't know of any reason why Google couldn't join this party.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    The big step is being able to unlock a door without having to open Wallet. Just hold the phone up to the reader and neither have to open wallet, an app or unlock the phone. Of course, in the case of a dorm or apartment building, I would expect management to mandate some type of authentication, even if it's just unlocking the phone for it to work, in case a phone is lost or stolen

In reality, though, it would be no different than losing the little white key card.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 7 of 8
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Real ID requirements have already been clarified. Iowa will be the first state to have a digital drivers license when it launches next year. It's currently in a pilot program. TSA is actually working with Iowa so they can certify the digital ID meets Real ID requirements. When DHS certifies Iowa's digital ID, you will be able to use that at TSA check points in airports. 
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 8 of 8
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Real ID requirements have already been clarified. Iowa will be the first state to have a digital drivers license when it launches next year. It's currently in a pilot program. TSA is actually working with Iowa so they can certify the digital ID meets Real ID requirements. When DHS certifies Iowa's digital ID, you will be able to use that at TSA check points in airports. 
    Louisiana already has a digital drivers license, I’m using it today.

https://lawallet.com/

...it's not perfect, of course, as it's presently app-based*. But I'm hoping they and other states are working with Apple to build out the needed elements in Wallet.

*to get around the problem of using an unlocked-device to open the app, they defined a "hands-off" protocol with state and local police, so they won't be taking the devices into their possession to run a check during a stop. I don't remember how tho, whether they take a picture or use a scanner or something. 
    edited October 2018