Ask Siri to pre-order iPhone XR from the updated Apple Store app

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2018
Apple on Tuesday issued an update to its official Apple Store app, delivering Siri Shortcuts integration that, come Oct. 19, will afford iPhone Upgrade Program subscribers the ability to pre-order iPhone XR using nothing more than their voice.

Siri Shortcuts integration is the highlight feature of Apple's Apple Store app update, which reached version 5.1.1 today.

With the new capability, iPhone Upgrade Program members will be able to quickly access the iPhone XR landing page when pre-orders begin on Oct. 19.

To use the feature, users simply tap the "Add to Siri" button during the pre-approval process and record a custom voice command. Apple suggests the phrase "pre-order my iPhone." Like iPhone XS and XS Max, the Apple Store app is facilitating pre-approvals to streamline the pre-order process which goes live later this month.

Once pre-orders begin, those who have saved the Siri Shortcut can trigger Siri using their custom phrase, which pulls up pre-approval information in the App Store app. From there, users need only to complete the order and check out.

In addition to Siri Shortcuts integration, the Apple Store app update brings support for Apple Watch Series 4's larger screen sizes.

Unveiled at a special event in September, iPhone XR is Apple's more affordable alternative to this year's flagship X-series handsets. The device boasts cutting edge technologies including the TrueDepth camera system and Face ID biometric security, a revamped rear-facing shooter with single-lens Portrait Mode photography, dual-SIM capability and Apple's new A12 Bionic processor.

Instead of an OLED display, iPhone XR cuts costs by using a 6.1-inch "Liquid Retina" LCD screen and aluminum chassis, the latter of which allows Apple to offer the phone in a range of colors.

Apple is scheduled to take iPhone XR pre-orders live on Oct. 19. Prices start at $749 or $37.41 per month for iPhone Upgrade Program members.

The Apple Store app for iOS is a free 86.8MB download from the App Store.
albegarc

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I appreciate the update from AI, but this just goes to show how Siri is still so terrible.

Another minor feature added on that almost no one will use because Siri has been an infuriating disaster from the start and no one trusts it to do much more than rote tasks. Here are example 3,478 and 3,479 from my personal Siri failure list:

• Reply 2 of 3
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Doesn’t bother me...I’m not sure why people expect or desire Siri to be able to answer various questions of an almost trivia nature. Should I be upset that I can’t ask it for all sorts of specs, technical or otherwise?

”What are the dimensions of a regulation pool table?”

”How long is a bowling lane?” 

...etc. 
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Doesn’t bother me...I’m not sure why people expect or desire Siri to be able to answer various questions of an almost trivia nature. Should I be upset that I can’t ask it for all sorts of specs, technical or otherwise?

”What are the dimensions of a regulation pool table?”

”How long is a bowling lane?” 

...etc. 

It's hard to believe you're actually being serious. As far as I can tell, Apple isn't in the business of selling pool tables or hosting bowling tournaments.

And no one is knocking siri for being not being able to be omnipotent. It's the fact that siri fails to do the basic functionality that was promised on day one. It's countless examples like this, and often much worse, that have caused people to completely lose faith in siri, which is stating it mildly. Although I love Apple hardware, siri infuriates me, and I know I'm not the only one. Some other examples? Siri on homepod is too frustrating to use for anything other than homekit commands. siri on apple tv is terrible for searching for content (although I do use the "skip back.." feature all the time). Dictating to siri is still a disaster; I need to go back and correct the vast majority of my dictated messages, reminders, etc. And if you try to dictate half way through a message.. forget it, there is no sense of context, no adjustment in capitalization. Also, in the over half a decade of siri's development, how does apple still dictate haha as "ha" space "ha". No one types it out "ha ha". Also, "lol" and "ok" no one capitalizes these when we type them, but every time you dictate, Apple capitalizes them to "LOL" and "OK". No customization, no learning, and no understanding of how people use their phone. I'm sorry, but Apple's siri and "intelligence" features are fucking pathetic. And Apple has had plenty of time to fix these very common issues, which is just sloppiness and laziness.

It's unbelievable that Apple can make amazing watch faces like the fire/vapor/liquid, but so many things, usually coming out of the services division, are not just mediocre, but terrible.

edited October 2018