Google unveils Pixel 3 phone, Pixel Slate tablet & Google Home Hub

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 19,414member
    genovelle said:
    gatorguy said:
    The phones are what we expected.

    The Pixel Slate is DOA. At those prices and without any software to run, why would anyone waste money on one? An iPad Pro is a far superior device.
    No software? Ummm, yeah, you might expand on that. But i'd agree with you that a basic $400 iPad probably does everything of importance that a $600 Slate does. 
    What’s funny is Chrome OS uses the same type of Web based apps that were used by the first IPhone and Apple got flack for not having native apps. 
    It also uses Android apps. There's also Linux.
    edited October 9
  • Reply 22 of 43
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 1,800member
    claire1 said:

    The phones are what we expected.

    The Pixel Slate is DOA. At those prices and without any software to run, why would anyone waste money on one? An iPad Pro is a far superior device.
    DOA? I hope Apple announces new iPads to put the nail in the coffin on these iPad knockoffs.
    What do you want for new iPads? 
  • Reply 23 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 19,414member
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    The phones are what we expected.

    The Pixel Slate is DOA. At those prices and without any software to run, why would anyone waste money on one? An iPad Pro is a far superior device.
    No software? Ummm, yeah, you might expand on that. But i'd agree with you that a basic $400 iPad probably does everything of importance that a $600 Slate does. 

    Yes, I’ll expand. No software outside of lightweight stuff. Need to do any real work? Not gonna happen. There’s far more powerful software for an iPad than there is for a Chromebook. And tablet optimized software for Chrome (or Android) is scarce.
    I've not had any issue with non-critical photo retouching, Microsoft Office stuff, writing, etc. What have you tried to do on a Chromebook that you couldn't, but regularly do on on an iPad? Serious question. Maybe you do need some specialized piece of software that there's no substitute for, but I would say that's not common. 

    Let me know.... 

    In the meantime for those curious:
    AutoCad - yes
    Photoshop CC - Yes
    Adobe Illustrator - Yes
    MS Powerpoint - Yes
    Excel and Word - Yes

    Those are the biggies it seems are generally needed for "real work"



    Those are all web apps I assume, requiring a wifi or cellular connection. Limiting for a tablet, wouldn't you agree, but I might be wrong about that?

    All of my apps for my iPad Pro run natively without any wifi or cellular connection, which matches my expectations for field use. I have a number of photography and creative apps that utilize the Pencil, and next year, "full" Photoshop and Lightroom, again native.

    I'd list them, but what's the point. You should just watch the upcoming event when Apple launches the new iPad Pro's. There is always a couple of halo apps that push the performance limit, as an example, utilizing Metal 2.
    No they aren't web apps. They're all available from Google Play. 

    There are a lot of web apps too for Chromebooks that do not require a persistent wi-fi or cellular connection.  That's been true for several years. 
    I have "a number" of professional graphic applications on my iPad Pro, all native, yet the only one the i can find for Chrome OS that doesn't require a "persistent" connection is Polarr.

    Your fallback is Android OS apps, but why have a Chromebook if you could just buy an Android Tablet?
    Because Chrome OS.

    Android tablets are dead. Chromebooks will replace them.
    https://www.androidcentral.com/chromebook-vs-android-tablet-which-best
    edited October 9
  • Reply 24 of 43
    Wow, even that first shot of their camera app UI looks just like a knockoff ripoff of the iOS app. 
    Muntzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 43
    gatorguy said:
    genovelle said:
    gatorguy said:
    The phones are what we expected.

    The Pixel Slate is DOA. At those prices and without any software to run, why would anyone waste money on one? An iPad Pro is a far superior device.
    No software? Ummm, yeah, you might expand on that. But i'd agree with you that a basic $400 iPad probably does everything of importance that a $600 Slate does. 
    What’s funny is Chrome OS uses the same type of Web based apps that were used by the first IPhone and Apple got flack for not having native apps. 
    It also uses Android apps. There's also Linux.

    You didn’t just list Android Apps as some sort of benefit, did you? Android tablet Apps are complete garbage. And that’s before the issues of trying to get them to run properly on a Chromebook. What makes you think all those developers who can’t be bothered to optimize Android Apps for tablets are suddenly going to do so for Chrome?

    Linux. Let me know when Linux is relevant to anyone save for a few developers and ‘leet nerds’ who think they’re special because they’re NOT using Windows.

    The biggest mistake Google made was dropping Chrome Apps from browsers on PCs. Any momentum they had from developers dried up when they realized the market for customers was now limited to the tiny number of Chromebook users.
    Muntzwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 19,414member
    Wow, even that first shot of their camera app UI looks just like a knockoff ripoff of the iOS app. 
    I'm not seeing it unless you're mean both have dark themes and round icons. 
    https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/10/09/pixel-3s-google-camera-brings-new-ui-raw-support-new-panorama-mode-apk-download/
  • Reply 27 of 43
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    The phones are what we expected.

    The Pixel Slate is DOA. At those prices and without any software to run, why would anyone waste money on one? An iPad Pro is a far superior device.
    No software? Ummm, yeah, you might expand on that. But i'd agree with you that a basic $400 iPad probably does everything of importance that a $600 Slate does. 

    Yes, I’ll expand. No software outside of lightweight stuff. Need to do any real work? Not gonna happen. There’s far more powerful software for an iPad than there is for a Chromebook. And tablet optimized software for Chrome (or Android) is scarce.
    I've not had any issue with non-critical photo retouching, Microsoft Office stuff, writing, etc. What have you tried to do on a Chromebook that you couldn't, but regularly do on on an iPad? Serious question. Maybe you do need some specialized piece of software that there's no substitute for, but I would say that's not common. 

    Let me know.... 

    In the meantime for those curious:
    AutoCad - yes
    Photoshop CC - Yes
    Adobe Illustrator - Yes
    MS Powerpoint - Yes
    Excel and Word - Yes

    Those are the biggies it seems are generally needed for "real work"
    Those are native Chrome OS apps?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 43
    gatorguy said:
    Wow, even that first shot of their camera app UI looks just like a knockoff ripoff of the iOS app. 
    I'm not seeing it unless you're mean both have dark themes and round icons. 
    Of course you don't, you don't even have an iPhone so how would you? 

    I know you're just trolling, but here's a quick image I made in 2 minutes that highlights the near-direct ripoff of the screen design and UI elements. 




    edited October 9 Muntzradarthekatericthehalfbeewilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 43
    DrumpfDrumpf Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Seems people fundamentally misunderstand what Chromebooks are. 

    ChromeOS is basically a super-secure, continuously updateable, verified boot, Linux hypervisor that runs containers. One of those containers is Chrome, which gets you Web Apps/Chrome Apps. One of those containers is ARC, which gets you the Android-Runtime-For-Chrome, which runs Android apps. And one of those containers is Crostini, Linux, which lets you run Linux apps. They all run at the same time.

    Who cares about Linux? Developers and Engineers. So for example, you can run Android Studio, a full fledged, heavy, IDE experience for building apps, directly on a ChromeOS device (https://developer.android.com/topic/arc/studio) Can you run the real, full blown XCode on an iPad pro? No you cannot. And with Campfire -- ala Bootcamp for ChromeOS -- you'll even be able to run Windows 10 on Chromebooks. 

    The Pixel Slate's top of the line model is an 8th generation Intel i7, with 16Gb of RAM and 256Gb SSD, that's a full blown desktop in a tablet form factor that runs 3 operating systems simultaneously (ChromeOS, ARC, and Crostini)

    You can pooh pooh the tabletized apps, and I agree, they're not great, but no tabletized app is as good as the desktop app it supposedly replaces. For professionals? Don't kid yourself, outside of a few limited scenarios, a full keyboard and mouse aware app is substantially better, in the same way that a mouse and keyboard are better than analog sticks or touch for playing first person shooters.

    I can tell you right now, that tons of developers and engineers who own MacBooks are salivating over the idea of a more compact full-fledged Linux environment with awesome web experience, and they aren't looking to iPad Pros, but to Surface with Linux as an option. Slate is another entry in that category. 


    gatorguyavon b7williamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 19,414member
    gatorguy said:
    Wow, even that first shot of their camera app UI looks just like a knockoff ripoff of the iOS app. 
    I'm not seeing it unless you're mean both have dark themes and round icons. 
    Of course you don't, you don't even have an iPhone so how would you? 

    I know you're just trolling, but here's a quick image I made in 2 minutes that highlights the near-direct ripoff of the screen design and UI elements. 




    You don't have a Pixel or a Chromebook either, nor an Android phone or Surface Pro as far as I know but that doesn't keep your from trolling commenting about them.  In this case tho thanks. Now I understand what you're referring to and I agree.  FWIW that particular UI layout, particularly the top menu bar, is very similar to the circa 2016 Pixel OG I'm using. In the bottom section they've removed the video icon now and gone with the obviously Apple-themed carousel on the bottom menu. Most of the other changes are in submenu's.
    edited October 9 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 43
    kkqd1337 said:
    I don’t care for the Pixel 3 hardware at all. But I sure wish we had a fully integrated Google Assistant and Google photo’s AI on the iPhone.
    Not to sound dismissive...I think we'd be better served having no Google Apps on our Apple devices! :)

    Just say'n. :)

    P.S. Suggestion: On the main page of the articles (when I've signed on), I'd like to see a 'red dot' next to the article, if I've made a comment and and a 'green dot' if someone has commented on my comment! 

    That way I can see instantly which articles I've had responses too, etc. 

    The email notification is not working or very clunky! 

    I know, I know, this is a brilliant suggestion. Thank you. :) 
    edited October 9 watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 19,414member
    gatorguy said:
    genovelle said:
    gatorguy said:
    The phones are what we expected.

    The Pixel Slate is DOA. At those prices and without any software to run, why would anyone waste money on one? An iPad Pro is a far superior device.
    No software? Ummm, yeah, you might expand on that. But i'd agree with you that a basic $400 iPad probably does everything of importance that a $600 Slate does. 
    What’s funny is Chrome OS uses the same type of Web based apps that were used by the first IPhone and Apple got flack for not having native apps. 
    It also uses Android apps. There's also Linux.

    You didn’t just list Android Apps as some sort of benefit, did you? 
    Heck I'm still waiting for you to answer what I asked you earlier in the thread and it was a totally honest question: What have you tried to do on a recent Chromebook that you couldn't, but regularly do on on an iPad?
    edited October 9
  • Reply 33 of 43
    gatorguy said:
    jbdragon said:
    Wait a minute,... people go off on thinking Apple charges to much for the extra RAM. Yet Google is charging $100 to go from 64 Gigs to 128 Gig's?
    No sir they aren't. 

     - The base model Slate is $599 and includes the Gen Intel Celeron processor, 4GB of RAM, and 32GB of SSD storage.
    Another $100 doubles both the RAM and SSD to 8GB and 64GB storage.

     - For $799 you get an 8th Gen Core m3 processor, 8GB of RAM and 64 GB of storage.
    Add another $200 and you double the SSD to 128 and get an 8th Gen Intel Core i5 processor.

     - For anyone wanting to be ridiculous because, well they can and have more money than sense IMO, drop $1599 on the top-of-the-line Slate and you have an 8th Gen Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, and 256GB SSD (which I believe is NVM) storage.
    Pixel 3,
    64 GB: $799
    128 GB: $899
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 43
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 2,723moderator
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    The phones are what we expected.

    The Pixel Slate is DOA. At those prices and without any software to run, why would anyone waste money on one? An iPad Pro is a far superior device.
    No software? Ummm, yeah, you might expand on that. But i'd agree with you that a basic $400 iPad probably does everything of importance that a $600 Slate does. 

    Yes, I’ll expand. No software outside of lightweight stuff. Need to do any real work? Not gonna happen. There’s far more powerful software for an iPad than there is for a Chromebook. And tablet optimized software for Chrome (or Android) is scarce.
    I've not had any issue with non-critical photo retouching, Microsoft Office stuff, writing, etc. What have you tried to do on a Chromebook that you couldn't, but regularly do on on an iPad? Serious question. Maybe you do need some specialized piece of software that there's no substitute for, but I would say that's not common. 

    Let me know.... 

    In the meantime for those curious:
    AutoCad - yes
    Photoshop CC - Yes
    Adobe Illustrator - Yes
    MS Powerpoint - Yes
    Excel and Word - Yes

    Those are the biggies it seems are generally needed for "real work"



    Those are all web apps I assume, requiring a wifi or cellular connection. Limiting for a tablet, wouldn't you agree, but I might be wrong about that?

    All of my apps for my iPad Pro run natively without any wifi or cellular connection, which matches my expectations for field use. I have a number of photography and creative apps that utilize the Pencil, and next year, "full" Photoshop and Lightroom, again native.

    I'd list them, but what's the point. You should just watch the upcoming event when Apple launches the new iPad Pro's. There is always a couple of halo apps that push the performance limit, as an example, utilizing Metal 2.
    No they aren't web apps. They're all available from Google Play. 

    There are a lot of web apps too for Chromebooks that do not require a persistent wi-fi or cellular connection.  That's been true for several years. 
    I have "a number" of professional graphic applications on my iPad Pro, all native, yet the only one the i can find for Chrome OS that doesn't require a "persistent" connection is Polarr.

    Your fallback is Android OS apps, but why have a Chromebook if you could just buy an Android Tablet?
    Because Chrome OS.

    Android tablets are dead. Chromebooks will replace them.
    https://www.androidcentral.com/chromebook-vs-android-tablet-which-best
    iPads will replace them.  Corrected that for you.  
    kevingericthehalfbeewilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 43
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    genovelle said:
    gatorguy said:
    The phones are what we expected.

    The Pixel Slate is DOA. At those prices and without any software to run, why would anyone waste money on one? An iPad Pro is a far superior device.
    No software? Ummm, yeah, you might expand on that. But i'd agree with you that a basic $400 iPad probably does everything of importance that a $600 Slate does. 
    What’s funny is Chrome OS uses the same type of Web based apps that were used by the first IPhone and Apple got flack for not having native apps. 
    It also uses Android apps. There's also Linux.

    You didn’t just list Android Apps as some sort of benefit, did you? 
    Heck I'm still waiting for you to answer what I asked you earlier in the thread and it was a totally honest question: What have you tried to do on a recent Chromebook that you couldn't, but regularly do on on an iPad?

    4K video editing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Drumpf said:
    Seems people fundamentally misunderstand what Chromebooks are. 

    ChromeOS is basically a super-secure, continuously updateable, verified boot, Linux hypervisor that runs containers. One of those containers is Chrome, which gets you Web Apps/Chrome Apps. One of those containers is ARC, which gets you the Android-Runtime-For-Chrome, which runs Android apps. And one of those containers is Crostini, Linux, which lets you run Linux apps. They all run at the same time.

    Who cares about Linux? Developers and Engineers. So for example, you can run Android Studio, a full fledged, heavy, IDE experience for building apps, directly on a ChromeOS device (https://developer.android.com/topic/arc/studio) Can you run the real, full blown XCode on an iPad pro? No you cannot. And with Campfire -- ala Bootcamp for ChromeOS -- you'll even be able to run Windows 10 on Chromebooks. 

    The Pixel Slate's top of the line model is an 8th generation Intel i7, with 16Gb of RAM and 256Gb SSD, that's a full blown desktop in a tablet form factor that runs 3 operating systems simultaneously (ChromeOS, ARC, and Crostini)

    You can pooh pooh the tabletized apps, and I agree, they're not great, but no tabletized app is as good as the desktop app it supposedly replaces. For professionals? Don't kid yourself, outside of a few limited scenarios, a full keyboard and mouse aware app is substantially better, in the same way that a mouse and keyboard are better than analog sticks or touch for playing first person shooters.

    I can tell you right now, that tons of developers and engineers who own MacBooks are salivating over the idea of a more compact full-fledged Linux environment with awesome web experience, and they aren't looking to iPad Pros, but to Surface with Linux as an option. Slate is another entry in that category. 



    Oh look, another brand-new 1 post shill has shown up telling us how great Chromebooks are.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 43
    DrumpfDrumpf Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    I'm just ericthehalfbee said:

    Oh look, another brand-new 1 post shill has shown up telling us how great Chromebooks are.
    Oh look, someone who shows up with facts because someone else was incorrectly claiming ChromeOS only ran Web apps.  The first thing you do in ad hominem attack someone on their first post, just because they don't say something nasty about Apple's competitors? This reaches a whole new level of Snowflake. 

    Chromebooks runs Linux, and that is important to Web developers and engineers, for the same reason they prefer MacBooks over iPads or Windows: The Unix Environment. It's a niche market, but so are desktops these days. You can secure in the knowledge that the Slate doesn't threaten your consumer toys,  just like the MacBook doesn't. The iPad will always be there for casuals.



    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 38 of 43
    BluntBlunt Posts: 219member
    Drumpf said:
    I can tell you right now, that tons of developers and engineers who own MacBooks are salivating over the idea of a more compact full-fledged Linux environment with awesome web experience, and they aren't looking to iPad Pros, but to Surface with Linux as an option. Slate is another entry in that category. 

    Tons of developers. LOL.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 19,414member
    keving said:
    gatorguy said:
    jbdragon said:
    Wait a minute,... people go off on thinking Apple charges to much for the extra RAM. Yet Google is charging $100 to go from 64 Gigs to 128 Gig's?
    No sir they aren't. 

     - The base model Slate is $599 and includes the Gen Intel Celeron processor, 4GB of RAM, and 32GB of SSD storage.
    Another $100 doubles both the RAM and SSD to 8GB and 64GB storage.

     - For $799 you get an 8th Gen Core m3 processor, 8GB of RAM and 64 GB of storage.
    Add another $200 and you double the SSD to 128 and get an 8th Gen Intel Core i5 processor.

     - For anyone wanting to be ridiculous because, well they can and have more money than sense IMO, drop $1599 on the top-of-the-line Slate and you have an 8th Gen Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, and 256GB SSD (which I believe is NVM) storage.
    Pixel 3,
    64 GB: $799
    128 GB: $899
    Ah, thanks. I misread his initial post and since the discussion was more about the new Slate/Chromebooks mistook the product he was talking about. I obviously should have read more carefully.
    Apologies @jbdragon ;
  • Reply 40 of 43
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 19,414member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    genovelle said:
    gatorguy said:
    The phones are what we expected.

    The Pixel Slate is DOA. At those prices and without any software to run, why would anyone waste money on one? An iPad Pro is a far superior device.
    No software? Ummm, yeah, you might expand on that. But i'd agree with you that a basic $400 iPad probably does everything of importance that a $600 Slate does. 
    What’s funny is Chrome OS uses the same type of Web based apps that were used by the first IPhone and Apple got flack for not having native apps. 
    It also uses Android apps. There's also Linux.

    You didn’t just list Android Apps as some sort of benefit, did you? 
    Heck I'm still waiting for you to answer what I asked you earlier in the thread and it was a totally honest question: What have you tried to do on a recent Chromebook that you couldn't, but regularly do on on an iPad?

    4K video editing.
    Well if you're a professional that's certainly seems like something much better done on a proper desktop like a Mac IMO, tho iPads are certainly a good option too I imagine. Yup I agree, Chromebooks aren't ideal for 4k video editing.

    I'll guess you've not ever tried to do so on a Chromebook so you don't really know if it could work for your needs or not. For casual stuff, which probably covers most use cases, there's a lot of apps available for it. For the more critical user PowerDirector looks like the go-to. Project Rush from Adobe might be worth considering too. But staying in the environment you're already familiar with is the obvious choice and that will be your Mac or iPad. 
    edited October 10
Sign In or Register to comment.