Angela Ahrendts, the 'non-techie' who runs Apple Retail, joined Apple on October 14, 2013

Comments

• Reply 61 of 91
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member

A disaster for who? Certainly not for Apple customers as a whole.

This entire response is an overt "Back in my day, it was the golden times!" call-back which doesn't make sense in any other context either. Look back to when the Apple stores were founded, and compare user bases, and numbers of users. You're right -- Apple isn't catering to who it used to in 2002 when the concept launched, and, frankly, it shouldn't, because it doesn't need to.

Apple doesn't need our "help" to do anything, and they sure as hell aren't looking to us for validation. Looking back at your five posts, you lament that Apple isn't aiming products squarely at your needs anymore, and are upset that we aren't defending what you, specifically, want.

Apple will do, what Apple will do -- and you can complain about it if you want. Vote with your wallet, if you don't like it. 

A disaster for apple as whole and for customers that like it. Ignoring the erosion of quality at the stores is like the apple press that wrote glowing articles about how sales were up for Skully while the company degraded until it was almost too late.

Your entire response is one just like supporters of skully provided, congrats for being a living relic yourself.  Pointing to my lack of posts also points to your lack of substance.  

Your banal conclusion does nothing but support mediocrity.  I have more options that. If enough voices point out, the emperor has no clothes, well realizing you have a problem is the first step to fixing it. Apple's numerous about faces in the face of enough backlash prove how hollow your little spat towards my post is (DVD vs CD Burn, bigger screens on iphones, enough backlash for the non upgradable trashcan mac, etc.). If you didnt fundamentally understand that, rather than resorting to low grade derision, you wouldnt bother writing a damn thing. But I await you taking your own advice, just shut up, and vote with your wallet. Yea, right.
    So much ignorance, so little time... Hint: web forum backlash isn’t what prompted Apple to go a different direction on the MP. 
    adonissmu
  • Reply 62 of 91
    mike54 said:
    I don't agree with what she has done to the Apple Stores and I don't agree with what Tim Cook has done to Apple. Both are on the same page focusing on investors, image and PR and should be in different positions. Both are non-techies but are good for the investors.
    Nonsense. Cook doesn’t focus on investors over product, and has said it before - they work to delight the customer, not the “bloody ROI”. No idea how you could not like what Cook has done with Apple — come out with their best ever products of the categories we love, and killed it on the customer market place, as proven by people voting with their wallets, over and over and over. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 63 of 91
    huckdaisy said:
    I can't believe this woman hasn't been canned years ago.  The apple stores are a mess.  I don't see what is so special about a room with tables and products placed on them.  All the stores are the same and rather sterile. With all the confusion I am sure they lose sales because people walk out in frustration.  Bring back the good old cash register.  

But no, Apple would never listen, they are too cool.
    If you don’t see what is so special, there’s little point in trying to explain it to you. 

Id never want cash registers and lines. Shopping inside an Apple Store is way easier...especially for accessories as you can check yourself out with the app and leave. 
  • Reply 64 of 91

macxpress said:
    Basically people don't like her because A, she's a woman and B, Steve didn't choose her, Tim did. It's only the old geezers who are stuck in the "good ole days" era that don't like anything that Apple is doing nowadays. 
    So easy to contradict your point, Steve chose both Skully and Tim, and those were a mistakes as well (one of which he himslelf aknowledges and I supplied in video form no less). Not to mention I actually like her. She did an amazing job as CEO of Burrbury, and her interviews before Apple, she was really good. But the facts are, the stores have gone down hill under her tenure.  The human pinball DMV atmosphere is all her. She just blew it.

But I'm sure you wont let those little facts get in the way of a good hateful narrative to try to hide that you cannot argue on the merits. Much better to paint everyone you dont agree with the broad stroke of sexist, natch.

When you cannot argue the merits, move to ad homonyms.  Thanks for evincing to the world that you have no substantive point.
    Ah, we’ve got another “Fire Cook!” guy. Thank god you aren’t in charge of anything at Apple.
    adonissmu
  • Reply 65 of 91
    StayPuftZombieStayPuftZombie Posts: 45unconfirmed, member

This entire response is an overt "Back in my day, it was the golden times!" call-back which doesn't make sense in any other context either. Look back to when the Apple stores were founded, and compare user bases, and numbers of users. You're right -- Apple isn't catering to who it used to in 2002 when the concept launched, and, frankly, it shouldn't, because it doesn't need to.

Apple doesn't need our "help" to do anything, and they sure as hell aren't looking to us for validation. Looking back at your five posts, you lament that Apple isn't aiming products squarely at your needs anymore, and are upset that we aren't defending what you, specifically, want.

Apple will do, what Apple will do -- and you can complain about it if you want. Vote with your wallet, if you don't like it. 

A disaster for apple as whole and for customers that like it. Ignoring the erosion of quality at the stores is like the apple press that wrote glowing articles about how sales were up for Skully while the company degraded until it was almost too late.

Your entire response is one just like supporters of skully provided, congrats for being a living relic yourself.  Pointing to my lack of posts also points to your lack of substance.  

Your banal conclusion does nothing but support mediocrity.  I have more options that. If enough voices point out, the emperor has no clothes, well realizing you have a problem is the first step to fixing it. Apple's numerous about faces in the face of enough backlash prove how hollow your little spat towards my post is (DVD vs CD Burn, bigger screens on iphones, enough backlash for the non upgradable trashcan mac, etc.). If you didnt fundamentally understand that, rather than resorting to low grade derision, you wouldnt bother writing a damn thing. But I await you taking your own advice, just shut up, and vote with your wallet. Yea, right.
    So much ignorance, so little time... Hint: web forum backlash isn’t what prompted Apple to go a different direction on the MP. 

So apparently your tone and snide insults are aok by the guidelines. Dude, I’m less interested in your hints than something highly unpleasant that I’d be banned for describing on here. No doubt you’re such a peach you’ll be allowed to stream your insults unfettered. 

And yes, “feedback” and not just “thermal corners” are why they bought a clue. Customers clammored for things that were more “modular” like upgradable video cards among other things, but don’t let reality get in the way of a good old fashion undeserved smugfest. That’s rhetorical. I know there are no forces of nature that could stop that. 
    edited October 2018 NoAppleIdolitry
  • Reply 66 of 91

macxpress said:
    Basically people don't like her because A, she's a woman and B, Steve didn't choose her, Tim did. It's only the old geezers who are stuck in the "good ole days" era that don't like anything that Apple is doing nowadays. 
    So easy to contradict your point, Steve chose both Skully and Tim, and those were a mistakes as well (one of which he himslelf aknowledges and I supplied in video form no less). Not to mention I actually like her. She did an amazing job as CEO of Burrbury, and her interviews before Apple, she was really good. But the facts are, the stores have gone down hill under her tenure.  The human pinball DMV atmosphere is all her. She just blew it.

But I'm sure you wont let those little facts get in the way of a good hateful narrative to try to hide that you cannot argue on the merits. Much better to paint everyone you dont agree with the broad stroke of sexist, natch.

When you cannot argue the merits, move to ad homonyms.  Thanks for evincing to the world that you have no substantive point.
    Ah, we’ve got another “Fire Cook!” guy. Thank god you aren’t in charge of anything at Apple.
    Right back at you.
  • Reply 67 of 91
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

macxpress said:

Right back at you.
    Wouldn’t you feel more at home over at MacRumors.com where the tone is consistently negative and the naysayers outnumber the supporters 10 to 1? Or do you just want to stay here to try and convince us that Angela Arhendts should be fired and Apple should return to building metal boxes that have slots?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 68 of 91

lkrupp said:

macxpress said:

Right back at you.
    Wouldn’t you feel more at home over at MacRumors.com where the tone is consistently negative and the naysayers outnumber the supporters 10 to 1? Or do you just want to stay here to try and convince us that Angela Arhendts should be fired and Apple should return to building metal boxes that have slots?
    lkrupp said:

macxpress said:

Right back at you.
    Dr heal thyself. If you don’t like the conversation, please rest assured I’m not keeping you.
    NoAppleIdolitry
  • Reply 69 of 91
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    mike54 said:
    I don't agree with what she has done to the Apple Stores and I don't agree with what Tim Cook has done to Apple. Both are on the same page focusing on investors, image and PR and should be in different positions. Both are non-techies but are good for the investors.
    Nonsense. Cook doesn’t focus on investors over product, and has said it before - they work to delight the customer, not the “bloody ROI”. No idea how you could not like what Cook has done with Apple — come out with their best ever products of the categories we love, and killed it on the customer market place, as proven by people voting with their wallets, over and over and over. 
    That is 100% true. 

But Cook has been fortunate to have enough cash to do both:   Focus on product AND keep activist stock holders happy with dividends and stock buybacks, etc...   I think it was Carl Icahn who forced his hand a few years back.

But, the core and the foundation remains:   Great products drive the revenue and the profit.  That's the core.  And Tim, to his credit, has not forgotten that.
  • Reply 70 of 91
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

lkrupp said:

macxpress said:

Right back at you.
    lkrupp said:

macxpress said:

Right back at you.
    Dr heal thyself. If you don’t like the conversation, please rest assured I’m not keeping you.
    Doesn’t matter if I like the conversation. It does matter to the admins. You’ve already been warned and in the short time you’ve been here you’ve managed to alienate most of the long time members. We’ve seen your type come and go many times over the years with your my-way-or-the-highway attitude. You’ve expressed your opinion but somehow I don't think that's the end of it.
  • Reply 71 of 91
    lkrupp said:

lkrupp said:

macxpress said:

Right back at you.
    lkrupp said:

macxpress said:

Right back at you.
    Doesn’t matter if I like the conversation. It does matter to the admins. You’ve already been warned and in the short time you’ve been here you’ve managed to alienate most of the long time members. We’ve seen your type come and go many times over the years with your my-way-or-the-highway attitude. You’ve expressed your opinion but somehow I don't think that's the end of it.
    Right right, youre being "long" term makes you matter.  That there may be equally long time lurkers is irrelevant, you know you matter.  Sure sure.
    NoAppleIdolitry
  • Reply 72 of 91

https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/18/10/15/2120225/the-new-and-improved-macbook-keyboards-have-the-same-old-problems

"They may be delayed, but they happen nonetheless. The MacRumors forum has a long thread about the the "gen 3 butterfly keyboard" where users have been sharing their experiences since Apple updated the design."

Yep, forums never make a ground swell forcing apple to react.  Like I said, let's not let facts get in the way of a good smug narrative.
    GeorgeBMacNoAppleIdolitry
  • Reply 73 of 91
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I like Angela. I also disagree with some posters here. I think the success of Apple retail as it is today is precisely due to her non techie (and believe me when I say Apple retail today is a lot bigger than before her era, on a totally different scale).

She brings imagination to the store. And while some dispute that Apple needs a store manager who understands technology, I think Tim Cook hired her precisely NOT for that. The result is the Apple Store unique experience, something that most non tech people feel lacking in Microsoft or Samsung stores. Yes, precisely because they are TOO techie.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 74 of 91
    kevin kee said:
    I like Angela. I also disagree with some posters here. I think the success of Apple retail as it is today is precisely due to her non techie (and believe me when I say Apple retail today is a lot bigger than before her era, on a totally different scale).

She brings imagination to the store. And while some dispute that Apple needs a store manager who understands technology, I think Tim Cook hired her precisely NOT for that. The result is the Apple Store unique experience, something that most non tech people feel lacking in Microsoft or Samsung stores. Yes, precisely because they are TOO techie.
    Yes, good points.

But one of the main points Apple had in establishing the stores was the tech/support side with the Genius bar.   Arhendt's move to marginalize that and blend it into the retail side has reduced its effectiveness which is contrary to the long term stability of Apple:   That is, unlike other flash in the pan companies, Apple knows that its long term stability rests on a quality product and repeat business.   And, part of that equation is that buyers are supported after the sale as well as during the sale.

I would argue that Arhendt is sacrificing a critical part of Apple's foundation in order to push retail sales.  I think that Apple needs to re-balance that process.   They CAN do both -- have a great retail experience and a great technical support experience.  
    StayPuftZombie
  • Reply 75 of 91
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Reading through this thread I have to say I agree that the Apple Store experience has deteriorated if all you want to do is pop in and buy something.  It was my first visit since the changes had been made by Angela.

So ... here I was waiting for our local store to open, I was first there as I'd arrived too early, keen to buy an iPad as a present and I had another appointment soon thereafter.  I knew exactly what I wanted and last time I was there I was in and out in a flash.  As the doors opened I was trampled by a crowd behind me.  Inside on either side grinning staff stood chatting as only two staff members stood with iPads.  I could hear those at the head of both lines explaining issues and problems they had and the iPad holder patiently listened, several minutes passed before each time they were assigned a table to sit at.  

Realizing that so far everyone ahead of me had a problem and I just wanted to buy and walk out,  I left the line and approached the staff standing at the sides to ask if I could buy an iPad?  I added I know exactly what I want.  I was spoken to like a schoolboy caught by a teacher doing wrong.  'You have to get in line!' I was sternly told.  I was shocked and tried to explain I didn't need to see anyone, I just wanted to buy an iPad.  I was now even more sternly told, 'There is a system, you must stand in line!'.  

I swear I almost walked out.  I went back to the now much longer line and waited for what seemed like forever listening to people explain their issues in detail only to be told to sit at a table and wait for a designated Apple person to see them when it was their turn.  Not one person in front of me in either line ever simply stated they wanted to buy something.  

Finally, I got to the front of the line I was in and said, "I just want to buy an iPad and I know exactly which one."  I waited as the person tapped away on her iPad and eventually told me which table to sit at.  I couldn't help myself, I asked if I could not simply be given the iPad I wanted and pay for it?  Again in a stern voice, I was told they had a system and I had to meet with an expert to guide me.  I had to bite my tongue and took a deep breath and sat down and waited.  An hour after I entered the store I walked out the iPad I wanted.  

I would humbly suggest Apple add an Amazon Go type section where people can walk in pick up a product and leave if they know exactly what they want.  
    edited October 2018 gatorguyNoAppleIdolitryStayPuftZombie
  • Reply 76 of 91
    MacPro said:
    Reading through this thread I have to say I agree that the Apple Store experience has deteriorated if all you want to do is pop in and buy something.  It was my first visit since the changes had been made by Angela.

So ... here I was waiting for our local store to open, I was first there as I'd arrived too early, keen to buy an iPad as a present and I had another appointment soon thereafter.  I knew exactly what I wanted and last time I was there I was in and out in a flash.  As the doors opened I was trampled by a crowd behind me.  Inside on either side grinning staff stood chatting as only two staff members stood with iPads.  I could hear those at the head of both lines explaining issues and problems they had and the iPad holder patiently listened, several minutes passed before each time they were assigned a table to sit at.  

Realizing that so far everyone ahead of me had a problem and I just wanted to buy and walk out,  I left the line and approached the staff standing at the sides to ask if I could buy an iPad?  I added I know exactly what I want.  I was spoken to like a schoolboy caught by a teacher doing wrong.  'You have to get in line!' I was sternly told.  I was shocked and tried to explain I didn't need to see anyone, I just wanted to buy an iPad.  I was now even more sternly told, 'There is a system, you must stand in line!'.  

I swear I almost walked out.  I went back to the now much longer line and waited for what seemed like forever listening to people explain their issues in detail only to be told to sit at a table and wait for a designated Apple person to see them when it was their turn.  Not one person in front of me in either line ever simply stated they wanted to buy something.  

Finally, I got to the front of the line I was in and said, "I just want to buy an iPad and I know exactly which one."  I waited as the person tapped away on her iPad and eventually told me which table to sit at.  I couldn't help myself, I asked if I could not simply be given the iPad I wanted and pay for it?  Again in a stern voice, I was told they had a system and I had to meet with an expert to guide me.  I had to bite my tongue and took a deep breath and sat down and waited.  An hour after I entered the store I walked out the iPad I wanted.  

I would humbly suggest Apple add an Amazon Go type section where people can walk in pick up a product and leave if they know exactly what they want.  
    Yeh, too often I have been spoken down to by an Apple Store employee.   Even though, usually I knew more about it than he/she did!  

I am happy when I find one that knows more than I do about Apple products. 
    NoAppleIdolitryStayPuftZombie
  • Reply 77 of 91
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    welshdog said:
    What an overly generous puff piece.

Angela has added some plants, pulled the "Store" off the stores' names, removed lanyards, killed the genius bar and added logistical chaos and worse training to the stores. That's the sum total, other than collecting gobs of ill earned money, of her years of tenure at apple.

She took what was for many the best retail experience ever, where an apple store was something you enjoyed visiting, and turned it the DMV.  Now instead of heading for the genius bar for your appointment, you start with game of human pinball.  

Find an apple employee, with no lanyard as a visual cue, that's holding an iPad to get to your appointment. When you find the first one, you ask for your appointment, and they inform you, theyre not the person for that and send you to another one.  You go to that employee that you think they pointed to, but they're not it either.  Finally you get to the person with the appointment clip board, and they play, let's pick a table.  They send you to some random table and log your name/position.  Now, the genius plays Apple Store Maps.  The "genius" now goes around the table asking for you (mispronouncing your name at times), and sometimes goes to the wrong table because the position was logged wrong. Or a person misunderstood what table they are to meet at. All this wastes both your and the apple employees time in pinball'ing around when everyone could just have instead, clearly and easily, met at the genius bar. Then, when the apple employee finally ends their game of hunt-and-go-seek, you are rewarded by talking to a 'genius' that no longer talks to you like you understand something and 'jumps to the chase' but instead, they walk you through a script process, because now the vast number of geniuses have become equivalent script kiddies. No brain, all script. Oh, and you do this all through intolerable crowds of other now grumpy store goers.

In contrast, Steve Job's created genius bar was not only a signature feature that she destroyed, but something that calmed not caused store logistical chaos. You just head to the back for your appointment, simple. No DMV zombie human pinball hordes bouncing off each other from 'Angela's DMV Apple Emporium' 'improvements'. Also, it kept all the grumpy people with problems away from the people shopping, preventing the spread of DMV'itus throughout the store.

In other words, the apple store, the highest earning per square foot retail store in the world that Angela inherted, has been turned into the apple DMV, by angela, that I (and many others https://dailycaller.com/2018/03/15/apple-store-dmv/) want to avoid at all costs.

My fear is apple managment (and now with the help of appleinsider) are positioning angela as the next CEO apparent, which will be a disaster of the likes to make us long for the days of Skully.
    Five posts and a link to the daily caller. Nuff sed.
    Basically. Auto Ignore. This poster exists to stir things up. 

TBQH, Angela has been great for Apple. 
    edited October 2018 welshdog
  • Reply 78 of 91
    macxpress said:
    You think so? Other than maybe some absurd anti-Tim spillover, it seems to me that the negativity towards Ahrendts is more likely because she's different than a typical hire in that she comes from the fashion world, which people reflexively criticize as superficial and unrelated to tech. Of course, anyone who cares to think about it for more than a second (assuming they're not just ignorant) would realize that these criticisms are ridiculous, that Apple has the tech stuff nailed, and that Apple's future growth and sustainability will come from going further into the humanitarian aspect of their products, which means being more mindful of the humanistic nature of how the products are consumed at the individual, local, and wider cultural levels, which is exactly the direction the Apple stores are going in, and in the best way. She's doing a fantastic job.

It seems a bit silly for people to always jump to sexism, racism, etc as the problem when there are so many explanations that are more likely. It seems like, at this point, the -isms are usually just a convenient go-to, and also, people love to virtue signal as one of the 'good guys.'
  • Reply 79 of 91
    macxpress said:
    .. She's doing a fantastic job.

That kind of depends on what you measure and how you measure it.
  • Reply 80 of 91
    IMO Ahrend is quite invisible within Apple. The stores were already succesfull and they are still. Not a lot of progress and/or innovation here.
    BTW she seems to mutate into Tim Cook. Really they look the same. Almost gender neutral. 
    SpamSandwichGeorgeBMacStayPuftZombie