Apple's iPhone XR shown off in first 'hands-on' videos

Posted:
in iPhone
Looking to drum up publicity for the iPhone XR ahead of preorders on Friday, Apple has provided a handful of news sites and YouTubers with hands-on time.

Apple iPhone XR

Much of the coverage appears to revolve around an Apple press showing organized in New York City. Rather than being full reviews, published videos mostly go over the similarities and differences with the XR versus the iPhone XS and XS Max, as well as 2017's iPhone X.

A common theme is the XR's six different colors, its use of a 6.1-inch LCD instead of OLED, and the presence of a single camera on the back instead of the twin units on the XS line. Some videos address the phone's ability to simulate the XS's depth-of-field effects, and the replacement of 3D Touch with haptic feedback.

The XR ships Oct. 26, starting at $749.

AppleInsider will be at the fall "There's more in the making" event, where we expect new iPad Pros, and maybe even new Macs! Keep up with our coverage by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    I’ll be quite interested in seeing this model in person before deciding which model I want. On specs, this one is leading my choices because it can do Portrait Mode at a lower price than the XS, but I will also consider the iPhone X if there’s a better deal offered on it.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I’m not price sensitive and so will likely get the XS Max, but this is a very capable counter to that given it’s lower price.  
  • Reply 3 of 10
    My preference is actually for smaller phones. I would gladly get the XS if it was the same price as the XR. But the XS is priced excessively. Also I don’t really want an OLED phone while my Mac and iPad are all LCD. 
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Is the blue model colour really as inconsitent as the videos show?

oops... realised they are mostly in the same room so just camera set up most likely.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Wow. Based on the style and content of these "reviews," I am nowhere near the XR demo. 

Hugging my XS Max and happy I am over the age of 30.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    All the early reviewers told of their distaste for the Liquid Retina display on the XR. All were complaining about having 2006 tech in a 2018 product and charging a king's ransom for it. /s
  • Reply 7 of 10
    All the early reviewers told of their distaste for the Liquid Retina display on the XR. All were complaining about having 2006 tech in a 2018 product and charging a king's ransom for it. /s
    Is that accurate, because I watched almost every YouTube and Tech reviewer that I could and while they all said the resolution was lower.  I did not see any of them say the screen was inferior or bad... certainly none of them said they had a distaste for it.  If so, please post the links to them, because I have not found a single one.   There are going to be many that buy this phone that will be totally satisfied with the display and it's priced much more affordable for many more users to be able to buy.  So, I call BS! 
  • Reply 8 of 10

I think the complaint was that it’s not even 1080p which most phones are these days. I’m sure it’s a very good display. Let’s wait and see what the real reviews say.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    joeljrichardsjoeljrichards Posts: 23unconfirmed, member
    otacorb said:
    Is that accurate, because I watched almost every YouTube and Tech reviewer that I could and while they all said the resolution was lower.  I did not see any of them say the screen was inferior or bad... certainly none of them said they had a distaste for it.  If so, please post the links to them, because I have not found a single one.   There are going to be many that buy this phone that will be totally satisfied with the display and it's priced much more affordable for many more users to be able to buy.  So, I call BS! 
    Please note the sarcasm tag.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    I love my gold Xs Max, but XR looks like Apple’s home run product...