New iPad Pro again rumored to ditch Lightning for USB-C

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Mmmm. Dunno. 

I don’t think Apple regards wired connections as that important. I reckon they’ll stick with lightning. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 30
    I'm sure the iPad charging cable will switch to USB-C, but for the charging adapter! Not to replace the lightning port itself. That's in line with Apple moving to USB-C on all their laptops (and presumably the next iteration, if any, of the MacBook Air)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 30
    wood1208 said:
    I doubt Ipad will adopt USC-C but if it did than 2019 iPhone will be next to adopt.
    I don’t see the need for iPhone to switch to USB-C. 

Couldn’t it at least be lightning to USB-C especially since new Mac laptops are all USB-C?
    I guess I unintentionally posted the same thing as you said. This is what I think is really the case with new iPads.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 30
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    More recently, code in Apple's iOS 12.1 beta suggests the new iPad Pro will support 4K external displays, a feature that would likely require USB-C. Output at such a high resolution is not supported by any existing iOS device or accessory, including Apple's Lightning-to-HDMI adapter.

Ridiculous statement. A new iPad Pro would not be considered an existing iOS device, so that does not mean the Lightning port will not or cannot be upgraded to support USB 3.x. You do not need a USB-C port. 
    For all we know Apple could've created Lightning 2.0, which uses the "same" physical port and connector, but makes use of all 16 contact points at once, rather than just 8 and make it backward compatible. This could easily support data buses that make use of more data lanes to widen throughput.

It's only been 6-7 years, since the Lightning port debuted. One of the main points of the Lightning port was that it was considered "future proof". The original iPod port lasted 10 years, you think when they said that they meant less than the duration of that original port?

I'd much rather have a dongle then need two different cables to charge my iOS devices. Not to mention my Siri Remote, Apple Pencil, mouse and keyboard - all of which are charged using a Lightning cable.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Bit of a muddled start to this article: "Rumors ... suggest Apple intends to swap out its proprietary Lightning connector for the faster, more robust USB-C protocol". Both Lightning and USB-C are connectors, each can carry several protocols.

Looking at the connectors and comparing my MBP with 
    iPad and iPhone, I see the Lightning, not USB-C, connector as significantly more robust. I have had issues on several occasions with 'connector wobble' upsetting communication over USB-C, I haven't experienced the same problems with Lightning and the latter has a much more positive plug-in/out feel to it. Lightning is a nice design.

Looking at protocols, Lightning can carry (faster) USB 3 data assuming that the host device supports it (I think we all wish that more iOS devices would), USB 3 can also give higher charging powers. USB-C connectors can (and do in Macs) also carry Thunderbolt but, IMHO, USB 3 is the obvious place for iOS devices to go next in terms of cost v performance.

So I would expect a Lightning connector capable of USB 3, not a USB-C connector, on the new devices. [I see that Ars Technica says that 2015 iPad Pro is already exactly this].

At the other end of the cable? I bought my MBP 2 years ago in the belief that its USB-C ports, almost totally incompatible as they were at that time, were the future. Last month, I bought an iPhone Xs and it continues to use a USB-A connector. I'm disappointed that Apple has yet to make a "courageous" decision to move from USB-A to USB-C or even an easier one to use backwards-compatible USB-A Superspeed connectors so that the USB 3 ports on modern iMacs (and MBPs with adaptors) can supply more charging power and /or higher speed data. My MBP has a USB-C connector on its charger so I guess there's a hint there.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Whatever is the actuality, if there’s a significant upgrade in capabilities I’m definitely getting a new iPad Pro. Absolutely the best “computer” I’ve ever owned from Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 30
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    This could be good combined with one software change. 

Presently, you can't do much of anything off an external drive on iPad, to, say, edit a video, you have to import to internal storage, edit, then export again to external storage. If they let you work right off of USB C drives at the same time as moving to C, that would be golden. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 30
    foljs said:
    Apple sure loves for people to have to carry around a bunch of cables. 
    Apple has done more than any other company to get ditch of the multiple cables. If it was for the PC industry we'd still have floppy disks and RS232 ports on top of all the newer stuff
    That's the truth. It was Apple who popularised USB first with the iMac. 20-year later I can still hear the whining.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 30
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    foljs said:
    Apple sure loves for people to have to carry around a bunch of cables. 
    Apple has done more than any other company to get ditch of the multiple cables. If it was for the PC industry we'd still have floppy disks and RS232 ports on top of all the newer stuff
    That's the truth. It was Apple who popularised USB first with the iMac. 20-year later I can still hear the whining.

And that's despite the fact there were PCs with USB onboard before the iMac came out. There just wasn't anything to plug into them, and everyone just kept using the legacy ports.

Then, the iMac comes out, and a whole bunch of Bondi Blue USB peripherals show up, and suddenly PC manufacturers start supporting USB properly. And yet, they keep shipping PCs with PS2 ports for another 15 years at least. You can probably still buy them now.

• Reply 30 of 30
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    mjtomlin said:
    More recently, code in Apple's iOS 12.1 beta suggests the new iPad Pro will support 4K external displays, a feature that would likely require USB-C. Output at such a high resolution is not supported by any existing iOS device or accessory, including Apple's Lightning-to-HDMI adapter.

Ridiculous statement. A new iPad Pro would not be considered an existing iOS device, so that does not mean the Lightning port will not or cannot be upgraded to support USB 3.x. You do not need a USB-C port. 
    For all we know Apple could've created Lightning 2.0, which uses the "same" physical port and connector, but makes use of all 16 contact points at once, rather than just 8 and make it backward compatible. This could easily support data buses that make use of more data lanes to widen throughput.

It's only been 6-7 years, since the Lightning port debuted. One of the main points of the Lightning port was that it was considered "future proof". The original iPod port lasted 10 years, you think when they said that they meant less than the duration of that original port?

I'd much rather have a dongle then need two different cables to charge my iOS devices. Not to mention my Siri Remote, Apple Pencil, mouse and keyboard - all of which are charged using a Lightning cable.

The iPad Pro been using USB 3.x host since 2015 with double sided connector.