Chinese consumer group demands Apple compensate stolen Apple ID owners

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    There is something fishy going on with Apple IDs, I must say. I just activated a new Apple account 3 months ago, and it's already being targeted by phishing emails pretending to be Apple. It's an email address that we never use, but was the only one that Apple's system would accept (they don't recognize ".store" top-level domains yet, so had ot use a backup email address).

So how did these spammers become aware that our email address was associated with an Apple ID? It was not just a coincidence. I have many, many email addresses that have never been associated with Apple and don't receive such spam. But as soon as i create an Apple account with one, it starts getting spammed.

I hope Apple is aware of this, because it's very bad.
    derekcurrie
  • Reply 22 of 27
    I just want to know why if the money was taken out of their Alipay accounts they’re not going after Alipay? If my bank account is hacked and all my money is stolen I’d sooner expect my bank to take responsibility for what happened. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 27
    A Chinese consumer group? Baloney. I don’t believe such a group would be allowed to exist in China unless the PRC was behind it to use as a propaganda or blackmailing tool against Western (or any non-Chinese) companies in China.
    If you look at previous complaints by the China Consumer Association, it's pretty ironic how they only target foreign companies in China. 
    It's telling, not ironic. It's just another propaganda arm for the Chinese government. There are no "consumer watchdog" groups in China. Such an organization would be akin to a "rights" organization and there's no way such a thing would be allowed to operate.
    derekcurriewatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 27
    There is something fishy going on with Apple IDs, I must say. I just activated a new Apple account 3 months ago, and it's already being targeted by phishing emails pretending to be Apple. It's an email address that we never use, but was the only one that Apple's system would accept (they don't recognize ".store" top-level domains yet, so had ot use a backup email address).

So how did these spammers become aware that our email address was associated with an Apple ID? It was not just a coincidence. I have many, many email addresses that have never been associated with Apple and don't receive such spam. But as soon as i create an Apple account with one, it starts getting spammed.

Excellent point! This has been a fairly common phenomenon in my experience. I've watched it happen with Google Gmail accounts for at least a decade. At one point it was common for Gmail address to be reaped from somewhere or other then have hackers dictionary attack the address password to get in. I have friends whose accounts were pwned that way. [Shhh: One of them works for Apple!]
  • Reply 25 of 27
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Another classic example of adults not taking responsibility for their own stupidity.

its nice to know it’s not just limited to U.S. people. :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 27
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member

You hope Apple is aware of this? You have many, many email addresses and it's only Apple accounts that immediately get spammed? And all you do is hope Apple is aware of this? Geezus fucking Louise. Something's fishy all right.

On the point of mandatory 2FA, that's as ridiculous as blaming Apple for something that's not their fault. 2FA has been a problem for a lot of people and it should be their choice as to lean towards convenience or security.

Apple should never have offered a 'deeply apologetic' apology. Cook is trying to walk a tightrope to work in the Chinese market to sell Apple kit in a potentially hostile environment where that product is made. Domestically, he could say 'show me how we are shifting blame' going toe to toe, but in an elegant way, of course. But he doesn't dare to that with China.

This Chinese consumer group, or whatever it actually is, clearly is doing what Green Peace and others have done for years— go after Apple, while trying to vilify them in the process. They're an HVT whom people will try to milk for some form of personal and/or corporate gain. I wonder when Cook realized he was in deep Yangtze when trying to get into bed with China.