Tim Cook lambastes Bloomberg for iCloud spy chip report, calls for retraction

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    davgreg said:
    maestro64 said:
    We all know Bloomberg is not going to retract the story. They are just going to dig in further since if they admit they were wrong it will go against their credibility. 
    What of the inverse? Would highly secretive Apple ever own up to such a thing in public.
    Tim Cook responding looks like a tell.
    It’s a “tell” if Tim Cooke responds to something this huge and damaging? Yet Bloomberg can claim sources without showing any evidence, on top of there being no tampered boards found?

Interesting way of looking at the situation. 
    chasmradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 61
    ElCapitan said:
    Apple is probably the only company that can go out and defend themselves and strongly deny it regardless of what has happened under the pretense of transparency to their shareholders and the SEC. 

However, if we understand the situation right, these systems (compromised or not) have been used and deployed to government and defense facilities all over, and probably not only in the US but also with NATO and other allies. NOBODY will come out and comment this except with a broad brush, like was already done a couple days back, because nobody wants to highlight where to look for these systems. 

I think it is not without reason that Trump and the US administration have significantly dialed up the rhetoric of Chinese hacking and meddling over the last few weeks. It goes far beyond the trade squeamish.  
    In reality the US and allies are furious at China over how they use electronics produced in the country to intrude into their systems.
    It's VERY unlikely that this has any connection to the Trump-China hissy fit thing.    Michael Bloomberg strongly opposes Trump.    And, the origins of this story pre-date Trump anyway. 
    The only reason why Trump's now can use it to dial up the rhetoric is because the issue has been brought to the attention of the public. You can be sure it has been used by both admins in communication directly with the Chinese, but they did not want it to become public.
    The potential fallout of this is that on the European side an evaluation is going on for what Chinese equipment shall be forbidden in European infrastructure and defense projects. This started long before the Bloomberg disclosure. The European press has been largely mum about it, but some information have seeped out. 
    edited October 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 43 of 61
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    bulk001 said:
    Let’s for a moment say that tens of thousands or maybe even hundreds of thousands of servers across the world in governments and the largest companies that handle security, finances, telecommunications and private data of billions of people had been compromised. What do you think the response would be when it came out that a largely (but not totally) respected news organization was going to go public with it. Do you think governments, the NSA, financial institutions, private corporations etc would come out and say “Yeah, we have been hacked, everything has been compromised and there is no quick fix to it but relax it is all going to be okay” or would they deny, deny, deny, give out waivers to companies to deny and then hope that the whole fake news retoric would take over like it has here? If this story were true, it would be catastrophic beyond arguments like they are forced to tell the truth or face a lawsuit for lying to investors and bring down governments, stock markets, large corporations etc. 

And while I have no idea if it is true I am not willing to simply dismiss it out of hand like I was when the government said it only had 13 (or whatever the number was that James Clapper testifies to Congress about) FISA warrants to track some phone communications which was true but turned out that each warrant tracked millions and millions of phones. 
    I suspect that the truth lies somewhere in the middle of those extremes:   Between "Nothing to see here folks" to Tens of Thousands of servers are compromised and government and industry are colluding to deny it.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    bulk001 said:
    Let’s for a moment say that tens of thousands or maybe even hundreds of thousands of servers across the world in governments and the largest companies that handle security, finances, telecommunications and private data of billions of people had been compromised. What do you think the response would be when it came out that a largely (but not totally) respected news organization was going to go public with it. Do you think governments, the NSA, financial institutions, private corporations etc would come out and say “Yeah, we have been hacked, everything has been compromised and there is no quick fix to it but relax it is all going to be okay” or would they deny, deny, deny, give out waivers to companies to deny and then hope that the whole fake news retoric would take over like it has here? If this story were true, it would be catastrophic beyond arguments like they are forced to tell the truth or face a lawsuit for lying to investors and bring down governments, stock markets, large corporations etc. 

And while I have no idea if it is true I am not willing to simply dismiss it out of hand like I was when the government said it only had 13 (or whatever the number was that James Clapper testifies to Congress about) FISA warrants to track some phone communications which was true but turned out that each warrant tracked millions and millions of phones. 

And alien bodies are being kept in Area 51 and thousands of soldiers and bureaucrats and support people have kept this secret for decades.  LOL.  Think about what you are saying!  The government can't keep fundamental national security secrets from leaking, but thousands of people in the tech industry and government and their tens of thousands of friends and family members are keeping this a secret.  LOL.  You can't make this conspiracy stuff up.  Oh wait. ...
    chasmradarthekatwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 45 of 61
    Bloomberg needed cash so he shorted aapl and had the story written.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 61
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Notsofast said:
    bulk001 said:

And alien bodies are being kept in Area 51 and thousands of soldiers and bureaucrats and support people have kept this secret for decades.  LOL.  Think about what you are saying!  The government can't keep fundamental national security secrets from leaking, but thousands of people in the tech industry and government and their tens of thousands of friends and family members are keeping this a secret.  LOL.  You can't make this conspiracy stuff up.  Oh wait. ...
    It seems to already be starting to leak out. In fact I would be surprised if government agencies were no actively working to compromise hardware. Till the Facebook/CA stuff came out I didn’t think it was possible for a country like Russian to change the course of an election either.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 47 of 61
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    ElCapitan said:
    knowitall said:
    Apple has very sofisicated chip and software knowledge...
    Yet they seem incapable of fitting newer versions into existing shipping Mac models. 

I also discovered today it is virtually unpossible to install or upgrade to High Sierra or Mojave on machines configured with AppleRAID.
    Didn't say they know it all, or maybe that’s your point.
    ElCapitanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 61
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    This is the strongest indication yet that the story is seriously flawed if not bogus. Cook and his legal team would be insane to be this categorical in his denials knowing that the SEC does not mess around with overt dishonesty from the CEOs of publicly traded companies. Apple’s execs have essentially given up their confidentiality so Bloomberg needs to put up or shut up. 
    I wonder why Cook is so panicked by this report? 
    He is afraid of freedom of speech? 
  • Reply 49 of 61
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    Reminder: although the network is named after him, Michael Bloomberg has zero day-to-day involvement in Bloomberg. Nor does Mrs. Reuter double-check the dailies, nor does Bob "Associated" Press hand-spell-check everything.

Believe "no proof just unproven allegations" Bloomberg or Tim "I'm under significant legal penalties if I am not truthful in official statements" Cook (and every head of every intelligence agency, and Amazon, et al) -- but Michael Bloomberg has zippity doo dah nothing to do with this.
    edited October 2018 GeorgeBMacwatto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 50 of 61
    lovemn said:
    Bloomberg needed cash so he shorted aapl and had the story written.
    Nice try.   Actually he's a billionaire.   He's actually giving the stuff away.   Neither he nor his paper have any reason to lie.   No matter how much you don't want to hear the truth.
  • Reply 51 of 61
    chasm said:
    Reminder: although the network is named after him, Michael Bloomberg has zero day-to-day involvement in Bloomberg. Nor does Mrs. Reuter double-check the dailies, nor does Bob "Associated" Press hand-spell-check everything.

Believe "no proof just unproven allegations" Bloomberg or Tim "I'm under significant legal penalties if I am not truthful in official statements" Cook (and every head of every intelligence agency, and Amazon, et al) -- but Michael Bloomberg has zippity doo dah nothing to do with this.
    All true. 
    But actually, Bloomberg has less reason to lie about this than does Tim -- which is not to say I think Tim is lying.   Instead, my experience, when two credible sources with integrity (and that covers both Tim and Bloomberg) are arguing diametrically opposed positions, is that both are usually partly right and both are partly wrong -- with the truth somewhere in the middle.

But Apple fanboys are having hissy fits because Bloomberg blasphemed against their god.   But the funny part is:  the article wasn't even about Apple.   Apple is just one of thirty potential victims.
  • Reply 52 of 61
    chasm said:

All true. 
    But actually, Bloomberg has less reason to lie about this than does Tim -- which is not to say I think Tim is lying.   Instead, my experience, when two credible sources with integrity (and that covers both Tim and Bloomberg) are arguing diametrically opposed positions, is that both are usually partly right and both are partly wrong -- with the truth somewhere in the middle.

But Apple fanboys are having hissy fits because Bloomberg blasphemed against their god.   But the funny part is:  the article wasn't even about Apple.   Apple is just one of thirty potential victims.
    You do realize that you’re lowering your position SUBSTANTIALLY by using phrases such as “Apple fanboys are having hissy fits because Bloomberg blasphemed against their god”, and that ANYONE who does their own due diligence and has even half a brain will KNOW that Bloomberg has put out false information MANY times before, especially where Apple is concerned, and there is definitive proof of this widely available for anyone to see with just a few simple Google searches, or even searching through the coverage even this site has given of Bloomberg’s fallacies and inaccurate reporting over the years.

Please save yourself from any further embarrassment and quit while you’re ahead, as you’re only making yourself look like the true fanboy here, a fanboy of Bloomberg.
    watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 53 of 61
    bulk001 said:
    slurpy said:
    This is the strongest indication yet that the story is seriously flawed if not bogus. Cook and his legal team would be insane to be this categorical in his denials knowing that the SEC does not mess around with overt dishonesty from the CEOs of publicly traded companies. Apple’s execs have essentially given up their confidentiality so Bloomberg needs to put up or shut up. 
    maestro64 said:
    maestro64 said:
    We all know Bloomberg is not going to retract the story. They are just going to dig in further since if they admit they were wrong it will go against their credibility. 
    It goes more against their credibility if they don’t admit their mistake. Mistakes happen. Own up to it and make the changes to their vetting process. That’s what I can forgive. Digging in your heals on false accusations is unforgivable. 
    Admitting the mistake open them to liability( they will have to prove their case by sharing who their sources are or they knowing publish a story they knew was not true), lawyers run companies like this not altruistic individuals. Same reason Dr and Lawyer will never admit a mistake, the other side has to prove they were wrong. They stuck be a rock and a hard place. I do not see Apple suing them but Supermicro could since their stock tanked because of this.
    But your assumption that they made a mistake is based on a company seriously panicked over this report.  Apple has a lot more to lose than Bloomberg.
    maestro64 said:

The is the key point I made a number of times, Apple is publicly traded company and when an Exec makes statement like this they have to be factually correct. If they are not and it found out they were not factually correct the SEC will be all over them and Tim would definitely loose his job over this. Apple Statement were too strong to think they were not telling the truth. I wonder if Tim will think twice about the fake media today.
    ROFL....
    ...  Like NO corporation ever has ever told a lie!    That's funny!
    maestro64 said:
    Credibility? Lol... what credibility. The whole reporting/journalism/mass media institution are in shambles and corrupt. Nothing more than tentacles of the powerful to manipulate the masses.
    Only if you are one of the fools who believe the purveyors of politically motivated propaganda.
    "Don't believe what you see.   Don't believe what you hear.   I am the source of all truth..."
    ElCapitan said:
    Apple is probably the only company that can go out and defend themselves and strongly deny it regardless of what has happened under the pretense of transparency to their shareholders and the SEC. 

However, if we understand the situation right, these systems (compromised or not) have been used and deployed to government and defense facilities all over, and probably not only in the US but also with NATO and other allies. NOBODY will come out and comment this except with a broad brush, like was already done a couple days back, because nobody wants to highlight where to look for these systems. 

I think it is not without reason that Trump and the US administration have significantly dialed up the rhetoric of Chinese hacking and meddling over the last few weeks. It goes far beyond the trade squeamish.  
    In reality the US and allies are furious at China over how they use electronics produced in the country to intrude into their systems.
    It's VERY unlikely that this has any connection to the Trump-China hissy fit thing.    Michael Bloomberg strongly opposes Trump.    And, the origins of this story pre-date Trump anyway. 
    Rayz2016 said:
    I think Bloomberg is trying to ride it out, hoping that everyone forgets about the story.

Unfortunately, Cook doesn't seem to be in a forgiving mood.
    Hardly.   They aren't backing down an inch.   They're standing by their story and their sources.

But here at the ai forums, the uninformed think this is all about Apple and only about Apple -- because, you know, the world revolves around Apple.
    What a horrendous, vacuous little spam-bot troll you are. 

ROFL...  So your definition of "troll" is anybody who doesn't blindly believe you?

Why would I believe you versus a highly respected news source with a very long history of reporting truth?   Oh!  Because you don't like what they reported.   OK.   See ya snowflake.
    It’s just Slurpy. Don’t be offended - kinda like the village idiot. You are not doing something right if he doesn’t come after you occasionally. 
    Actually Slurpy has excellent insight into many things and you attacking him here goes to show you like to silence people who know something of these situations.

I’m pretty sure you’d also lambast DED if he pulled up the links backing up the lies Bloomberg has spread over the years and claim he’s distorting the situation to fit some pro-Apple agenda, as you trolls always do.
    edited October 2018 radarthekatStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 61
    bulk001 said:
    slurpy said:
    maestro64 said:
    maestro64 said:
    It goes more against their credibility if they don’t admit their mistake. Mistakes happen. Own up to it and make the changes to their vetting process. That’s what I can forgive. Digging in your heals on false accusations is unforgivable. 
    Admitting the mistake open them to liability( they will have to prove their case by sharing who their sources are or they knowing publish a story they knew was not true), lawyers run companies like this not altruistic individuals. Same reason Dr and Lawyer will never admit a mistake, the other side has to prove they were wrong. They stuck be a rock and a hard place. I do not see Apple suing them but Supermicro could since their stock tanked because of this.
    But your assumption that they made a mistake is based on a company seriously panicked over this report.  Apple has a lot more to lose than Bloomberg.
    maestro64 said:

The is the key point I made a number of times, Apple is publicly traded company and when an Exec makes statement like this they have to be factually correct. If they are not and it found out they were not factually correct the SEC will be all over them and Tim would definitely loose his job over this. Apple Statement were too strong to think they were not telling the truth. I wonder if Tim will think twice about the fake media today.
    ROFL....
    maestro64 said:
    Credibility? Lol... what credibility. The whole reporting/journalism/mass media institution are in shambles and corrupt. Nothing more than tentacles of the powerful to manipulate the masses.
    Only if you are one of the fools who believe the purveyors of politically motivated propaganda.
    "Don't believe what you see.   Don't believe what you hear.   I am the source of all truth..."
    ElCapitan said:

Rayz2016 said:
    I think Bloomberg is trying to ride it out, hoping that everyone forgets about the story.

Hardly.   They aren't backing down an inch.   They're standing by their story and their sources.

But here at the ai forums, the uninformed think this is all about Apple and only about Apple -- because, you know, the world revolves around Apple.

ROFL...  So your definition of "troll" is anybody who doesn't blindly believe you?

Why would I believe you versus a highly respected news source with a very long history of reporting truth?   Oh!  Because you don't like what they reported.   OK.   See ya snowflake.
    It’s just Slurpy. Don’t be offended - kinda like the village idiot. You are not doing something right if he doesn’t come after you occasionally. 
    Actually Slurpy has excellent insight into many things and you attacking him here goes to show you like to silence people who know something of these situations.

I’m pretty sure you’d also lambast DED if he pulled up the links backing up the lies Bloomberg has spread over the years and claim he’s distorting the situation to fit some pro-Apple agenda, as you trolls always do.
    Haha. I stand corrected. /s
  • Reply 55 of 61
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    bulk001 said:

Yours is exactly the mind of a conspiracist, imagining the most extreme case possible and speaking as though it were equally as probable as any other interpretation.  All while ignoring the fact that, if so many organizations were indeed hacked in this manner, and if Bloomberg really had 17 credible sources outing the whole issue, that it should be drop dead simple to place hands upon one of those thousands of servers implied by the story, and it should be equally easy to find a Snowden-esque whistle blower.  And yet, crickets.  But it’s not the way of conspiracists to seek logical explanations.  Those lights in the sky must therefore be aliens, here to study the mating habits of midwestern ranchers caught driving alone down some desolate road.  Yup
    edited October 2018 StrangeDaysmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 61
    bulk001 said:

I suspect that the truth lies somewhere in the middle of those extremes:   Between "Nothing to see here folks" to Tens of Thousands of servers are compromised and government and industry are colluding to deny it.
    To paraphrase Mr. McQuire, “I have just one word for you.  Tinfoil.  There’s a great future in tinfoil.  Will you think about it?  Nuff said.”
    StrangeDaysmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 61
    slurpy said:
    maestro64 said:
    maestro64 said:
    maestro64 said:

ROFL....
    maestro64 said:
    ElCapitan said:

Rayz2016 said:

I deleted all those comments because I though so too. 
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 61
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

• Reply 59 of 61
    slurpy said:
    maestro64 said:
    maestro64 said:
    maestro64 said:

ROFL....
    maestro64 said:
    ElCapitan said:

Rayz2016 said:

So, disagreeing with the party line makes me a "spam-bot troll" and gets my comments censored? 
    I call bull!     
  • Reply 60 of 61
    slurpy said:
    maestro64 said:
    maestro64 said:
    maestro64 said:

ROFL....
    maestro64 said:
    ElCapitan said:

Rayz2016 said:

So, disagreeing with the party line makes me a "spam-bot troll" and gets my comments censored? 
    I call bull!     
    Those comments were over the top, to the point of being insulting to any thinking person’s intelligence.  If you’re going to suggest conspiracy then provide something by way of a logical rationale for your theories.  Those suggesting the Bloomberg report is not credible argue that for it to be credible there would surely be some empirical evidence beyond merely a rather preposterous story.  We speak of the one interviewed (among the 17) who has come forward and told the world that Bloomberg basically talked to him about hypotheticals, and ones that did not even represent practical methods, and then seemingly went off and placed his words into the mouths of other (unnamed) sources, recast as fact.  We speak of the numbers of organizations claimed to have been compromised and the number of servers Bloomberg suggests were put in place and we question how no server has been found with such a chip.  We question why 16 (of 17) sources would wish to remain anonymous; what’s the reason in this context?  These aren’t mob informants giving up the syndicate’s hierarchy.  We question why there has been not one whistleblower come forward, even with laws in place to protect such individuals. 

Where is there any logical rationale for the suggestion that there exists a massive coverup, that this story is anything but fantasy, that those who are making declarations opposing Bloomberg are less credible than Bloomberg, a news organization that spread plenty of mistruths about Apple (that we who follow Apple closely know of), which suggests they have likely played fast and loose in their reporting, perhaps beyond just reporting on Apple. Where’s the logical inferences to argue in favor of any coverup?  Believing the Bloomberg story in the face of zero evidence, zero testimony on its behalf from its supposed sources, and in the face of rebuttals from those who would lose everything by lying and who could simply remain on the sidelines... that’s simply not a logical position to take. And so I deleted your flippant comments.  Take it up with someone who has authority over my position as moderator.  I’ll accept whatever action they decide to take. 
    edited October 2018 StrangeDaysmagman1979watto_cobra
This discussion has been closed.