Apple's iPhone XS Max smashes Google's Pixel 3 in benchmark testing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 134
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    “Want to get your hands on a new device asap? eBay sellers are also shipping units now”.

LOL. If you click on the link, you get over 1.5 million results.
    Shows want a cesspit of junk Apple accessories eBay has become...
  • Reply 22 of 134
    Copying and a 'good enough' approach to business will only get you so far!

It shows the extraordinary effort Apple puts into every facet of the iPhone. From glass, software, chips, battery, cameras, antennas, etc., etc. 

And, the syncing of everything across all my devices. 

I will never have a Google, MS, Samsung, Amazon, or Facebook device in my home or service on my devices! :)

I can't wait until Apple makes all my devices look "Anonymous" on the internet! 

It's coming! :)

You're in such a tiny minority, like one in a million.  The whole internet is Google's playground and Android OS overwhelmingly dominates.  Almost no one on the planet is concerned with personal privacy because almost everyone wants free services.  Paying for those free services with personal data is completely acceptable to billions of internet users.  Everyone believes Apple is missing out by not having eavesdropping/listening devices in every room.  I believe most consumers don't mind being spied upon.  It makes them feel important that someone is listening to their every word.
    williamlondonmorgle
  • Reply 23 of 134
    Blunt said:
    The Pixel 3 is pobably to busy sending data to Google.

If it runs on Android OS, then yes.  Android OS is built to harvest personal data for Google.  Guess what?  99 out of 100 consumers don't care.
  • Reply 24 of 134
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    bb-15 said:
    saltyzip said:
    I'm sure all that extra performance makes Facebook, WhatsApp and phone calls rock, not!

The value of speed in a smartphone includes; 1. Intensive games like Fortnite. 2. 4K video at high frame rates in which the latest iPhones lead the industry. 
    But that would only be useful if someone played intensive games and recorded 4K video at high frame rates.

I use neither.

How much space does hi res 4k video use on iPhones?

I ask because a national Spanish daily recommended not buying an entry level X last year due to the lack of capacity for hi res video use.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 134
    I still want to see a video that times opening, in sequence, all the “same” apps on each phone (twice) like we used to get every year. Like, start the same game on each and when it’s ready to play move on to rendering out the same video on each device, and then on to the next app, etc. 

Sorry but opening 16 apps and immediately closing them again twice is not a "real life speed test".  Although with 4GB of RAM - the same as the Pixel 3, even in these tests the iPhone XS is faster than the Pixel 3.

In contrast, exporting 4K video, opening a PDF, browsing a web page, comparing games frame rates are all actual real-world tests and the iPhone utterly dominates Android devices in all of them.

No, the iPhone X delivering 64 fps in a 3D rendered game vs 45 fps for the S9 is actual real-world usage. So is opening a PDF file 8.6x faster, so is exporting a video to share 4.4x faster, so is rendering a complex web page 3.5x faster.

In all the REAL-WORLD tests, the iPhone utterly dominates Android flagships.

It is quite amusing how spec-obsessed Android fans are now so desperate to discount all the industry-standard benchmarks that are specifically designed to find out which devices have the best performance. Merely because their favourite devices are so convincingly beaten by Apple's custom, optimised silicon.

radarthekatchiaMuntzwatto_cobramagman1979jbdragon
  • Reply 26 of 134
    I still want to see a video that times opening, in sequence, all the “same” apps on each phone (twice) like we used to get every year. Like, start the same game on each and when it’s ready to play move on to rendering out the same video on each device, and then on to the next app, etc. 
    Go to YouTube and go to EverythingApplePro's channel.  He just did such a video a few days ago.  It was very interesting.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 134
    everythingapplepro on YouTube does exactly this. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 134
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    avon b7 said:
    bb-15 said:
    saltyzip said:
    I'm sure all that extra performance makes Facebook, WhatsApp and phone calls rock, not!

The value of speed in a smartphone includes; 1. Intensive games like Fortnite. 2. 4K video at high frame rates in which the latest iPhones lead the industry. 
    But that would only be useful if someone played intensive games and recorded 4K video at high frame rates.

I use neither.

I ask because a national Spanish daily recommended not buying an entry level X last year due to the lack of capacity for hi res video use.
    4K 60P is 24 GB per hour, more or less; 30P would be half of that.

Anyone that was contemplating 4K video, would want to pay for either the 256GB or 512GB model. The same would apply for Android OS devices, although some don't actually support 60P.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 134
    Someone on another thread told me the Pixel 3 XL was a direct competitor to the XS Max... not even in the same league. The XR will be cheaper and yet still smoke the Pixel 3 series. 
    Muntzclaire1watto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 30 of 134
    mazate said:
    Go to YouTube and go to EverythingApplePro's channel.  He just did such a video a few days ago.  It was very interesting.
    Thanks, I couldn’t remember who had done them in the past. Rocwurst said:

In contrast, exporting 4K video, opening a PDF, browsing a web page, comparing games frame rates are all actual real-world tests and the iPhone utterly dominates Android devices in all of them.

No, the iPhone X delivering 64 fps in a 3D rendered game vs 45 fps for the S9 is actual real-world usage. So is opening a PDF file 8.6x faster, so is exporting a video to share 4.4x faster, so is rendering a complex web page 3.5x faster.

This is what I’m talking about, and doing it all in a row without quitting apps in between does show how 1 phone has advantages over other phones.  Opening a game until it’s loaded and then opening another app to render out video and then opening a PDF, and so on and then repeating the process without quitting apps shows how fast the silicon is and how well optimized the OS is (or not). 

Despite what @foggyhill thinks these are things people use their phones for that a benchmark doesn’t help to show. Just like my car being able to hit 200 mph doesn’t indicate how good it is to actually use. 
    edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 134
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    gmgravytrain said

You're in such a tiny minority, like one in a million.  The whole internet is Google's playground and Android OS overwhelmingly dominates.  Almost no one on the planet is concerned with personal privacy because almost everyone wants free services.  Paying for those free services with personal data is completely acceptable to billions of internet users.  Everyone believes Apple is missing out by not having eavesdropping/listening devices in every room.  I believe most consumers don't mind being spied upon.  It makes them feel important that someone is listening to their every word.
    Guess that makes two of us. And all it means is that there are two of us who simply think it’s no one’s fucking business what we do in the privacy of our own homes. We’re also less likely to fall prey to a sense of fear & dread as we go about our daily lives  and, conversely, less likely to be lulled into a false sense of security when the authorities tell us everything is going to be just fine; that they will protect us. 
    Muntzclaire1watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 134
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

It shows the extraordinary effort Apple puts into every facet of the iPhone. From glass, software, chips, battery, cameras, antennas, etc., etc. 

I will never have a Google, MS, Samsung, Amazon, or Facebook device in my home or service on my devices! :)

'Android OS overwhelmingly dominates.'  .... Oh, I fell off my chair laughing.  Dominates in landfills, kids' basements and crackerjack toys maybe.
    radarthekatsteven n.StrangeDaysMuntzclaire1sflocalwilliamlondonwatto_cobramwhitemagman1979
  • Reply 33 of 134
    No one actually cares about the Pixel 3 hardware. They're more interested in the stock Android OS and the AI software in the camera. I doubt anyone would buy the Pixel 3 for outright speed and besides that, everyone hates smartphones with display notches and no headphone jack.

That's pretty close to the mark. I own a Pixel for the stock OS and the Google's Project Fi that gives me connectivity pretty much anywhere on the planet. For photography I'm very fussy so I carry a DSLR.

Don't really care about app speed so long as it's reasonable, and it is.

• Reply 34 of 134
    Blunt said:
    The Pixel 3 is pobably to busy sending data to Google.

If it runs on Android OS, then yes.  Android OS is built to harvest personal data for Google.  Guess what?  99 out of 100 consumers don't care.
    I agree that most consumers don't care.  They should.  This article explains why:  https://medium.com/insurge-intelligence/how-the-cia-made-google-e836451a959e

I prefer the Android OS to iOS but I won't use it for that very reason.  I value my privacy and if keeping it means I pay more, so be it.  That's not to say that Apple doesn't have some of my info but Google is light years worse when it comes to the harvesting of personal info.
    edited October 2018 Muntzwatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 134
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    bb-15 said:
    saltyzip said:

I use neither.

Anyone that was contemplating 4K video, would want to pay for either the 256GB or 512GB model. The same would apply for Android OS devices, although some don't actually support 60P.

Like the Kirin 980, which only offers 4K30.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 134

Bullshit. Android dominates because most people in the world can’t afford anything else, not because some supposed belief that people don’t care about being spied on. 
    edited October 2018 mazatetmayradarthekatchiaStrangeDaysMuntzclaire1williamlondonwatto_cobramwhite
  • Reply 37 of 134
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    claire1 said:

Fortnite can only be run on iPhones and Note 9 right?

Incorrect. 
  • Reply 38 of 134
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    bb-15 said:
    saltyzip said:

I use neither.

Like the Kirin 980, which only offers 4K30.
    Like I said, I have no use for 4K. Not even 4K30. I rarely even record video.

I have three TVs, one of them is a Pioneer Kuro. None of them have HDMI 2.0.

Is 4K60 on a phone a compelling reason for me to upgrade?

edited October 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 39 of 134
    MacPro said:

'Android OS overwhelmingly dominates.'  .... Oh, I fell off my chair laughing.  Dominates in landfills, kids' basements and crackerjack toys maybe.
    Not to be too pointed, but you can use a search engine right? You do realize that Apple in 2018 only has between 12-15% of the market share in cell phones, right? Apple is good to keep around, but they are not an overall threat to the entire market, just like in computers. It is the illusion of competition to keep people buying things... There is a reason that Microsoft bailed Apple out when it almost went bankrupt by buying 30% of the stock. Microsoft and ABC need Apple around and they need their customers to think that they are an actual competitor. It's a marketing ploy, nothing more.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 40 of 134
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    bb-15 said:
    saltyzip said:

The value of speed in a smartphone includes; 1. Intensive games like Fortnite. 
    I think @ericthehalfbee is actually testing how much  better the gaming performance of Fornite is on his iPhone compared to a couple of other higher-end Android phones.