Apple working on car windshield anti-glare system to protect driver from bright lights

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    Ford exited the car business in the US (except for the iconic mustang) because they aren’t making money on cars.  Personally, I think it is a big gamble. If gas prices raise substantially again, they will be caught like what happened in the early 70s with big cars and poor MPG.  That is what cemented the future for Japanese vehicles in the US: inexpensive, reliable, high MPG.  

I have a personal rule that any vehicle I purchase for regular use must get 30 MPG or better on the highway.  Our ‘11 Subaru Outback, built in Indiana, meets that criteria.  It also tows 2,700 pounds, allowing me to have a utility trailer for when I need to haul stuff, and a pop up for when I want to camp. 

Our other car gets 43 MPG and is smaller for urban use. 

Last time the gas prices went up a few years ago, dealers were filled with used SUVs and trucks that were gas guzzlers.   Perhaps this will be less of an issue when it happens again in a few years because MPG has improved somewhat for larger vehicles. 

When I really need a pickup to haul something very, very heavy, I rent from the local Ford dealer. I’ve not needed to do that for several years. 
  • Reply 22 of 22
    wanderso said:
    Ford exited the car business in the US (except for the iconic mustang) because they aren’t making money on cars.  Personally, I think it is a big gamble. If gas prices raise substantially again, they will be caught like what happened in the early 70s with big cars and poor MPG.  That is what cemented the future for Japanese vehicles in the US: inexpensive, reliable, high MPG.  

I have a personal rule that any vehicle I purchase for regular use must get 30 MPG or better on the highway.  Our ‘11 Subaru Outback, built in Indiana, meets that criteria.  It also tows 2,700 pounds, allowing me to have a utility trailer for when I need to haul stuff, and a pop up for when I want to camp. 

Our other car gets 43 MPG and is smaller for urban use. 

Last time the gas prices went up a few years ago, dealers were filled with used SUVs and trucks that were gas guzzlers.   Perhaps this will be less of an issue when it happens again in a few years because MPG has improved somewhat for larger vehicles. 

When I really need a pickup to haul something very, very heavy, I rent from the local Ford dealer. I’ve not needed to do that for several years. 
    The US is no longer held hostage by the Middle East with their oil market manipulations, so I don’t foresee extreme price swings in the future. There could be other commodity price swings which could make large vehicles less attractive, however. Ford seems to be making some reckless business decisions, IMO.