Apple $7B behind in royalty payments to Qualcomm

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    gatorguy said:
    I wonder how much money has already gone to the lawyers regarding this issue, just out of curiosity. I mean if you really want to settle is it necessary to fire up > 100 law suits? Also, I’m curious whether it’s “all green” on the Android side of things and the corresponding OEMs and suppliers happily pay what Qualcomm is asking for? Or are they paying less?
    Not sure if they’re happy or otherwise, but for sure they’re paying less, as Qualcomm’s royalty structure is based upon the price the device is sold for, not the inherent value of their IP.  
    ...with a value limit and so not quite that simple.  I think it was previously $600 and now set at $500, but not entirely sure that applies across the board to all Qualcomm IP. 

"Specifically, Qualcomm said that it would offer a royalty rate for its patents on the 5G NR standard, up to and including release 15 of the 3GPP specifications, of 2.275% of the selling price of branded single-mode 5G handsets; and a royalty rate of 3.25% of the selling price of branded multi-mode (3G/4G/5G) handsets. And for manufacturers that want to license both Qualcomm’s “cellular standard essential patents” as well as its patents that are not essential to the standard, the company said it would charge a royalty rate of 4% of the selling price for branded single-mode handsets and 5% of the selling price for branded multi-mode handsets.

The company added that its rates were capped at $500 for the selling price of the phone."

That's still one heck of a lot of money considering how many iPhones are sold, so of course Apple will fight it. Whatever they can trim goes in the bank. 

So if Apple wins am I going to get a refund on the 7plus I bought?  Will Apple lower the price of the XS because they used cheaper intel modems?
  • Reply 22 of 22
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    wood1208 said:
    Qualcommedy can higher collection agency!!!
    So that’s what all those recent Apple store robberies were about.  It’s repo madness!