New Apple Pencil for iPad Pro arrives with touch controls & wireless charging

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2018
The Apple Pencil refresh shown at today's "There's more in the making" event adds the ability to alter brush stroke width and perform other remote functions by tapping on the device itself, along with automatic pairing and wireless charging.

New Apple Pencil unveiled at October 30 event

Formally called the Apple Pencil (2nd generation), the new hardware design drops the previous model's cap at the top. Internally, it adds sensors that can detect when you tap on the body of the Pencil.

That body is no longer perfectly cylindrical: it now features a flat area on one side for tapping on. Depending on the app being used, tapping on the Pencil will change input modes from, for instance, writing to erasing.

Detail from the new Apple Pencil

Apple has also improved how quickly the Pencil pairs with devices. And the same flat area lets the Pencil snap onto the side of an iPad Pro magnetically and then charge wirelessly.

The new Apple Pencil is available to order online from today and will be in Apple Stores from Wednesday, Nov. 7. It works with the iPad Pro 12.9 inch (3rd generation) and the 11-inch iPad Pro. It costs $129 and is available with free engraving.

The previous Apple Pencil remains on sale for $99 and is compatible with the first and second generation iPad Pro 12.9 inch, the iPad Pro 10.5 inch, iPad Pro 9.7 inch and sixth generation iPad.

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    The double-tap is such a much better solution than flipping the pencil for erasing.

Curious to see how it will be compatible for charging with older iPads. Perhaps a Lightning to Qi dongle?
    edited October 2018 StrangeDaystmaySpamSandwichdoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 9
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    I’m also wondering about compatibility with existing IPad Pros.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    roake said:
    Doubtful. The wireless charging is an impossibility with the last-gen Pros. 
  • Reply 4 of 9
    After three years I finally lost my Apple Pencil reverse Lightening charge adapter. I’d prefer that the Apple Pencil just charge wirelessly/magneticically from the iPad Pro. 

The 12.9” iPad Pro’s battery is so big it charges an Apple Pencil in 10 minutes. Inductive charging should be good enough with the small charge the Apple Pencil needs. No more one of a kind adapters. No more sticking out of the Lightening port. Just go for it. Keep it easy. 

Great day for Apple. Mac Mini is awesome. iPad Pro is awesome. Well done. What’s the price? A little worried. 
    JWSC
  • Reply 5 of 9
    After three years I finally lost my Apple Pencil reverse Lightening charge adapter. I’d prefer that the Apple Pencil just charge wirelessly/magneticically from the iPad Pro. 

The 12.9” iPad Pro’s battery is so big it charges an Apple Pencil in 10 minutes. Inductive charging should be good enough with the small charge the Apple Pencil needs. No more one of a kind adapters. No more sticking out of the Lightening port. Just go for it. Keep it easy. 

Great day for Apple. Mac Mini is awesome. iPad Pro is awesome. Well done. What’s the price? A little worried. 
    You can price it all out on Apple’s web site right now. Power and quality aren’t cheap.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    roake said:
    Website says they're not compatible.
    caladaniandoozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

SpamSandwich said:

Power and quality aren’t cheap.
    Nope, but forum dwellers are, unfortunately.
    edited October 2018 fastasleepdocno42
  • Reply 8 of 9
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    spheric said:
    roake said:
    Doubtful. The wireless charging is an impossibility with the last-gen Pros. 
    A direct impossibility, but certainly not a problem for a dongle, or dedicated charging pad. The real issue is the pairing. Without Apple supporting a dongle that enables the pairing with an older iPad Pro, or an alternate method, then no third party will be able to create something to permit it. I'm surprised Apple is limiting it in this manner, but perhaps they made so many changes under the hood on the Pencil that it really is incompatible in ways beyond connectivity.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    It's too bad Apple doesn't have a buy back program for the pencil. That would take some of the sting out of upgrading iPad and Pencil.

The flat side of the Pencil will also limit rolling around on a table, and facilitates mounting securely to the new iPad's flat side. I really like that it has a similar case to the 4-SE. I've always preferred that. Some metal polish on the edge might spiff it up a little.