Apple's Smart Keyboard Folio offers full-size keyboard for 2018 iPad Pro

Posted:
in iPad edited October 2018
In conjunction with new 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pros, Apple has also released the Smart Keyboard Folio, which doubles as a case and a full-size keyboard.

iPad Pro Smart Keyboard Folio

The keyboard protects both the front and the back of a Pro and, when opened, can sit the tablet at multiple angles for desk or laptop use. Apple describes it as having a "streamlined," minimalist design intended to be thin and light.

The Folio's most important feature may actually be its Smart Connector, as when attached to a Pro it never needs to be paired or charged.

The Smart Keyboard Folio is on sale today at $179 for 11-inch Pros and $199 for 12.9-inch tablets. Layout options include over 30 languages, some of the non-English options being French, German, Japanese, and simplified Chinese.

iPad Pro Smart Keyboard Folio

The product will ship Nov. 7 to over 40 regions, including the U.S., Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, the Isle of Man, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macau, Monaco, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the U.A.E. and U.K.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I bought a Smart Keyboard with my original iPad Pro and never used it. What’s cool is you can pair a real Bluetooth keyboard with it instead if it’s ever needed for heavy duty typing requirements.
    TomE
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I bought a Smart Keyboard with my original iPad Pro and never used it. What’s cool is you can pair a real Bluetooth keyboard with it instead if it’s ever needed for heavy duty typing requirements.
    In my experience, the 'smart' keyboard is neither smart nor particularly compelling. Every time I use it, I feel like I am tapping my fingers on a desk. They hurt after a while.
    chia
  • Reply 3 of 4
    In my experience, the 'smart' keyboard is neither smart nor particularly compelling. Every time I use it, I feel like I am tapping my fingers on a desk. They hurt after a while.
    That’s why I occasionally pair my iMac wireless keyboard with the iPad Pro. Much more comfortable.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I’ve often wondered if Apple’s steady release of low-to-nearly-no action keyboards is an effort to train the user base for an eventual move to a no-action scenario (ala the latest trackpad) where only haptic feedback is given.  Then they could introduce a flat panel keyboard and use the keyboard software already in iOS to drive the UI (similarly how they currently use iOS to drive the toolbar on current MacBook Pros).

But I don’t think I care for this scenario for several reasons but one that you mentioned resonates...I think ones fingers will ache as if hammering a tabletop.
    TomE