Apple hikes out-of-warranty replacement costs for iPad Pros to as much as $649

Posted:
in iPad
People buying Apple's 2018 iPad Pros, announced earlier on Tuesday, may seriously want to consider AppleCare+ or a rugged case, as the company has raised the cost of out-of-warranty replacements versus older models.

Apple 2018 iPad Pro

An 11-inch 2018 Pro is $499 to replace, versus $449 for last year's 10.5-inch Pro, Apple noted in support documents. Replacing the new 12.9-inch tablet will cost $649, well more than the $599 for prior generations.

The higher prices are presumably because of technical improvements, including edge-to-edge displays, TrueDepth cameras for Face ID, and the swapping of Lightning for USB-C. The display is often one of the most expensive parts in any Apple device.

Apple's updated tablets are also capable of wireless charging the second-generation Apple Pencil, which sticks to the side of Pros magnetically and incorporates new tap gestures.

An AppleCare+ plan for the new Pros is $129. This extends warranty and support coverage to two years, and allows two incidents of accidental damage for just $49 per service request. Any Apple Pencil bought in tandem is included, with a cost of $29 for accidental Pencil damage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    darkpawdarkpaw Posts: 212member
    Isn't it funny how both increases are a round $50? The cost of the changes to the iPad aren't a round figure of $50; it's likely $36 or $19 or $41, but rounding up is great for Apple's bottom line.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,653member
    darkpaw said:
    Isn't it funny how both increases are a round $50? The cost of the changes to the iPad aren't a round figure of $50; it's likely $36 or $19 or $41, but rounding up is great for Apple's bottom line.
    Edit:  I see...you're talking about out-of-warranty replacements, but my other comments still stand.

An odd-manufacturing cost increase has nothing to do with how companies price products.   Note that all of Apple's pricing ends in "$...99".   Apple will always increase by round figures.  And the increases are not exactly $50.  The last price on the 12.9" iPad Pro 512GB WiFi was $1279 (it was originally $1229) and it's now $1499, an increase of $220.  64GB went from $929 to $1149, also $220.  Does the A12X cost so much more than the A10X?

And it's great for Apple's bottom line, assuming they don't have reduced sales because of it.   I've written this before, but I believe that the massive salaries paid to Apple executives and managers are warping their perceptions about what prices mean to people of average or average plus incomes.    We should be benefiting from cost reductions in technology more than we are.   A topped-out MBA is $2599, a topped-out MBP is $6699 and a topped-out new MacMini is $4299.   IMO, those are all completely absurd prices as is $1500 for an iPad Pro 12.9" with 512K and WiFi (and $1900 for 1TB).   Pads were supposed to be (in part) lower-priced alternatives to computers.

Apple used to tend to provide newer tech at the same price as the older tech.   IMO, these price increases are just greed.  
    edited October 2018 avon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 5
    zoetmb said:
    darkpaw said:
    Edit:  I see...you're talking about out-of-warranty replacements, but my other comments still stand.

An odd-manufacturing cost increase has nothing to do with how companies price products.   Note that all of Apple's pricing ends in "$...99".   Apple will always increase by round figures.  And the increases are not exactly $50.  The last price on the 12.9" iPad Pro 512GB WiFi was $1279 (it was originally $1229) and it's now $1499, an increase of $220.  64GB went from $929 to $1149, also $220.  Does the A12X cost so much more than the A10X?

And it's great for Apple's bottom line, assuming they don't have reduced sales because of it.   I've written this before, but I believe that the massive salaries paid to Apple executives and managers are warping their perceptions about what prices mean to people of average or average plus incomes.    We should be benefiting from cost reductions in technology more than we are.   A topped-out MBA is $2599, a topped-out MBP is $6699 and a topped-out new MacMini is $4299.   IMO, those are all completely absurd prices as is $1500 for an iPad Pro 12.9" with 512K and WiFi (and $1900 for 1TB).   Pads were supposed to be (in part) lower-priced alternatives to computers.

Apple used to tend to provide newer tech at the same price as the older tech.   IMO, these price increases are just greed.  
    I agree mostly with your sentiments but I don’t think it is just about the executive board trying to fatten their bonuses. I am an Aussie, looking at your country from the outside and I also see that the government you have at the moment is not doing your country any favors economically with the current trade war that is happening. Because the tariffs are going to hit every part of Apple’s supply chain very soon I think the current, more aggressive price hikes had to be factored in to protect the company profits (which is the board’s first responsibility).
  • Reply 4 of 5
    zoetmb said:
    darkpaw said:

If you are trying to chase lower prices, don’t buy Apple products,period. Apple is an aspirational brand around the globe & since the US has the most wealthy folks, they seem to think Apple is catering to everyone. They are not.Remember that.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 5 of 5
    They were always quite expensive for out of warranty swaps.