Latest watchOS 5.1 update pulled after bricking some Apple Watch units [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    DrummerladDrummerlad Posts: 20unconfirmed, member
    It bricked mine.  It got stuck on the logo.  Disconnected from my iPhone.  Hard reboot just got it back to the logo.  Took it into Apple, they don’t do anything beyond the same thing in the stores, so had to have it sent in.  It better come back quick.  They are sold out, and this is crappy!  
    GeorgeBMacasdasd
  • Reply 22 of 41
    emoeller said:
    My S4 bricked.  I’m told to take it in to my  store and they will have to send it out for repair/replacement - a minimum of five days for turn around.  As it is only a month old I’m told it’s covered under Applecare but would count as one of my two covered repairs??? WTF...
    Don’t settle for that. Don’t bite anyone’s head off, but the Apple folks are generally really reasonable. That doesn’t make sense and anyone who thinks about it for two seconds will get that. I’ve had really good results just being nice but persistent.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    emoeller said:
    My S4 bricked.  I’m told to take it in to my  store and they will have to send it out for repair/replacement - a minimum of five days for turn around.  As it is only a month old I’m told it’s covered under Applecare but would count as one of my two covered repairs??? WTF...

No, it will not count as one of your repairs. Go back to the store and tell them that.
    edited October 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Hmmmm. Mine updated without a hitch.

Disappointed that Shortcuts are still a bit crippled though.

• Reply 25 of 41
    Mine worked ok.
    I normally update my devices immediately on release. I think i'm going to start waiting 24 hours in the future - i understand these problems will always happen, but my confidence in Apple's quality control is a little dented. 
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Where i can find the watch face posted in the article?
  • Reply 27 of 41
    Anyone know how can i find the infograph face posted in the article?
  • Reply 28 of 41
    Well I just looked at my watch and its functional. It did yesterday act a little weird. I noticed the little white apple logo was on the watch face for quite awhile.
    However it went directly to the watch face I selected and has been working ok.

It would seem its a luck of the draw if it will brick or stick on the update.

• Reply 29 of 41
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    emoeller said:
    My experience at my Apple Store has been inconsistent -- the answer mostly depends on who you talk to.   I've gotten 4 different answers from as many Apple Store reps over a single issue.

Part of the problem is that many there seem more focused on defending Apple and their Apple Store profits than they do helping the customer.  Particularly the sales reps (as opposed to Genius Bar staff) are very helpful if you're buying something but can turn cynical when you need help.  (My experience with Genius Bar people or online support has not been that way.  Actually the opposite -- always positive.)

My advise
    1)  Always make a genius bar appointment and speak to them (or just call online support).
    2)  If you get an obviously unreasonable answer from a sales rep, just thank them and come back a different day to talk to a different one.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    I’m glad to be waiting.  I wait for several weeks to do updates of this nature and at least until the first full generation x.1 release for iOS, MacOS and WatchOS.    (Have Series 4 cellular).  Even with those x.1 updates, I wait several days to see the first reviews/issues encountered.   It’s the corporate IT department habit of allowing others to deal with the first quirks: very important when supporting a large user base and mission critical systems.  At home I take the least important devices and update those first.  On iOS for example that’s one of our iPads and never an iPhone first. 

Thank you to those who are early adopters of the WatchOS update! It’s a help to the larger community. Unfortunately our older watch is a Series 0 so I can’t do my “least important device” updated first approach. 

• Reply 31 of 41
    Mine is bricked as I already mentioned here.  Got to upper tier support today see if they could just send me a replacement instead of having to wait for the repaired phone to come back. (I took it to a store last night).  I got a very firm no because it is past 30 days.  Crappy.  It shouldn’t matter because it’s totally their fault.  Bad customer service this time around which I’ve not encountered with Apple before.  I’m going to ding them hard when I get the questionnaires.  
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Mine bricked.
    Which model (year and style of Watch)? Also, were you running any “jailbroken” software?
  • Reply 33 of 41
    Siliken said:
    My S4 also bricked during the 5.1 upgrade. Chat had Apple Support call me because “multiple customers are impacted by the same thing” and I was transferred to a senior advisor. David will call me on Saturday to advise me of the engineer’s recommended course of action.
    No course other than send it in.  Take it in immediately.  If it’s less than 30 days old, you can have it replaced immediately.  IF it’s more than 30, you have to wait for the repair!  
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 34 of 41
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    I had no problems whatsoever with installing the update on my series 4, though it has caused an issue with the battery draining much faster than usual which is rather annoying, but I suppose I shouldn’t complain too much as it is still functional unlike many others. I wouldn’t normally install immediately, but after the care Apple have been taking in the last several months with beta releases to minimise bugs, not to mention AppleInsider announcing the ECG functionality, I got a bit  ahead of myself. Hopefully there will be a fix in place soon. 
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 35 of 41
    jutah said:
    Anyone know how can i find the infograph face posted in the article?
    Yes, if you’re new to the Apple Watch you may do it one of two ways. One being within the watch app on your iPhone located in the face gallery. Tap on any you would like and either customise or just add to the Apple Watch. Or secondly, force touch from the watch face on the device and scroll to the end and tap on the + icon. This will enable you to scroll through all faces and customise as desired. Hope this helps. 🙂✌🏽
    GeorgeBMacelector
  • Reply 36 of 41
    lkrupp said:
    emoeller said:
    usmccop said:
    emoeller said:

That BS if it does. Shouldn’t it be covered under the regular warranty regardless?
    Hey, this just happened. Give Apple a few days to get its shit together and the narrative will change. Only Apple knows how many are affected so far and may not even know what the problem is yet. The first go around with level 1 support is always flakey when something like this happens.
    Give a trillion dollar purveyor of premium priced products a “few days to get it’s shit together?”  What a nitwit of low expectation.  Number 1, the problem should not have happened in the first place, Number 2 they expect you to be without your month old watch for 5 days?  Number 3 you have to travel to an apple store often necessitating paying for parking and traffic and Number 4 they want you to be penalized a service episode for something clearly not of your doing.  I call BS.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    emoeller said:
    Don’t settle for that. Don’t bite anyone’s head off, but the Apple folks are generally really reasonable. That doesn’t make sense and anyone who thinks about it for two seconds will get that. I’ve had really good results just being nice but persistent.
    There is no way to fix it in stores. They don't have a magic port that appears on the device in stores. Its not the train to Hogwarts. I don't really know how its going to be fixed by Apple at all really.

But no ports on the watch makes some sense in terms of water tightness. the iPhone is already good enough for that. 
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Mine bricked as well. Called Apple Support. After taking their steps to no avail, they set me up a Genius Bar appt for 2 days later. I went into the Apple Store the next morning and while they were aware of the pulled update, they didn't know why. I assured them they would find out pretty quickly.

So they sent it off to repair and I should have it back in 3-5 days...or so.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    I woke up this morning, November 2 iand my iPhone said there is an update for my Apple Watch. The update bricked my Apple Watch Series 2. It is stuck with the Apple logo and hash marks that go 3/4 of the way around. Been that way for about 45 minutes now.

UPDATE:   After 10 minutes of attempting to turn on, turn off and reset I finally got a watch face to display on it. The watch app on the iPhone reports that it is 5.0.1. Ouch.    Going to wait a while before I go any further into iOS 5. 
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 40 of 41
    asdasd said:
    emoeller said:
    There is no way to fix it in stores. They don't have a magic port that appears on the device in stores. Its not the train to Hogwarts. I don't really know how its going to be fixed by Apple at all really.

But no ports on the watch makes some sense in terms of water tightness. the iPhone is already good enough for that. 
    There is indeed a diagnostic port in the watch. They simply do not service them in store. It’s a policy they have due to fraudulent returns. Now watches must go to a central service hub.