iPhone XS versus iPhone X - which phone unlocks faster with Face ID

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,666member
    saniat said:
    When will AppleInsider deal with the safety issue of Face ID?  Does everyone really believe that constant facial scanning with a low power laser, over months and years, is perfectly safe for vision?   It's never been done before.  The eye's retina and other structures are very sensitive to light.  Damage to the eye is not "all or nothing".  Constant exposure to a low level laser may cause cumulative damage.  I've seen zero discusions about the safety of Face ID technology.  Is the safety issue of no interest to anyone?  Really?
    Do you have data to suggest it's dangerous and that Apple has overlooked this?
    The bullshit test ends right in the second sentence, at "low power laser". 

It isn't laser. 

End of subject. 
  • Reply 22 of 23
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,666member

mike1 said:
    I have one pair of sunglasses that work fine and another where I need to lift them up. Those must just be a little darker or reflective and the phone does not see my eyes through the glasses. If I turned off that security measure, it would work fine.
    It's a question of whether the glass blocks the specific frequencies of infrared light used by Face ID. 
  • Reply 23 of 23
    A BA B Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    First of all nice post, I did not use a stopwatch to measure the time Face ID takes to unlock or anything. These are purely my observations from using Face ID for the last week or so on both the iPhone X and the iPhone XS. So, I did a bunch of things to ensure both phones had a fair chance. For starters, I set up Face ID anew on both the iPhone X and iPhone XS, and turned “Require Attention” to off, so my eyes not looking at the phone wouldn’t cause it to not unlock. Then I tested things with “Alternate Appearance” set up on both iPhones, just to see if that would help one or the other iPhone.