More first-party complications coming to Apple Watch Series 4 Infograph watch face

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited November 2018
Apple appears to have inadvertently leaked several new Series 4 Infograph watch face complications that could debut in a forthcoming watchOS update, though the user interface assets are not active in the current watchOS 5.1.1 patch.

Upcoming Apple Watch Series 4 complications
Upcoming Apple Watch Series 4 complications | Source: 9to5Mac

The new first-party complications, which include Home, Mail, Maps, Messages, News, Phone, and Remote, are designed for the Infograph and Infograph Modular watch faces exclusive to Apple Watch Series 4.

As noted by 9to5Mac, users running iOS 12.1.1 and watchOS 5.1.1 can preview icons for the complications listed above by browsing the watch face gallery view in the companion Watch app for iOS. Currently, the complications cannot be configured on a paired Apple Watch.

While the functionality of the complications will remain unknown until their launch, it can be assumed that most of the icons will serve as simple shortcuts to corresponding watchOS apps rather than provide tangible information like current complications covering weather conditions and battery life. The News app complication, however, could display current headlines as the main component of the Infograph Modular watch face.

Apple will likely include these new complications in an upcoming watchOS developer beta, with the software potentially dropping as soon as this week.

The lack of compatible complications for Apple's new data-rich Infograph watch faces was one of the few concerns voiced by early Apple Watch Series 4 adopters.

Users received watchOS 5.1.1 earlier today after a previous version of the software update was pulled for bricking some Apple Watch models last week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    KBChicagoKBChicago Posts: 21unconfirmed, member
    I love my Apple Watch.  These complications are a nice addition.  I would love for Apple to do a few watch faces that look like a more photo-real watch.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    GabyGaby Posts: 190member
    I was wondering why they wouldn’t show up or work when I created a new watch face earlier. And I was baffled as to why I hadn’t noticed them before, so this report makes sense.

I wish there was a way to create your own complications or at least set the centre complications as for example the people you speak to most. It’s one reason I miss the side button loading the friend wheel to quickly choose someone to communicate with
    I’ve seen that you can add a favourite to the complications but you cannot choose which one you would like. 
  • Reply 3 of 5
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    As an aside, there are a ton of blog posts from folks trying to figure out how to take the CUP time off the new default time face using the edit on the watch itself.  Apple should have a pop up that says ... do this on the Watch app on your iPhone.  
    gutengel
  • Reply 4 of 5
    MacPro said:
    As an aside, there are a ton of blog posts from folks trying to figure out how to take the CUP time off the new default time face using the edit on the watch itself.  Apple should have a pop up that says ... do this on the Watch app on your iPhone.  
    Would you mind sharing some links to those blogs? Thanks!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    gutengel said:
    MacPro said:
    Would you mind sharing some links to those blogs? Thanks!
    Not sure why you want them, but just search for 'how to remove CUP from Apple Watch face' or words to that effect, they go all the way back to 2015.  I don't want to post links to them as many have the wrong answers but here is one that is correct: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7187940