Apple's iPhone beat Huawei, Xiaomi on China's 11/11 record-breaking Singles Day

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    I was following this news from China early today but in the articles that came my way, It was specifically stated that Alibaba had not given any individual amounts for the brands (not in revenue or unit sales).

Now I read this piece which throws in this:

"Despite a media narrative suggesting that Apple's sales are particularly troubled in China due to large volumes of lower-end models sold outside of Apple's core markets among mostly affluent urban Chinese by domestic brands lead by Huawei and Xiaomi"

Was that just added in spite of having no connection with the news itself or has Alibaba now actually released its brand numbers?

No connection? Apple outsold Huawei and Xiaomi to take first place during this sales event. This despite the doom & gloom announcements from many that companies like Huawei and Xiaomi are "eating Apples lunch" in China.

Look, I get it. Having Huawei end up in second (in China) behind Apple must be heart-breaking to you. There's no way you can spin this to make Apple look like they lost, despite your attempts to do so. Alibaba stated Apple was first. They didn't release specific numbers. If you have a problem with their claim, then take it up with them.
    Sales in what terms? Units? Orders for xx amount in monetary terms?

Are you confirming that 'large volumes of lower end phones' has nothing to do with what was being reported?

Why are you so concerned with 'winning' or 'losing'? You do realise this entire piece is based on just ONE event. Sales for ONE day and we don't even know what those sales mean because almost nothing has been detailed about them. Still, if you think it has that much relevance, fine.
    IOW, ‘when I lose, I move the goalposts.’
    AppleExposedericthehalfbeewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 22 of 31
    tzm41 said:
    Wow Apple fanboys are indeed living in the center of the universe! Sure, Apple may have "won" this sales event.

But "everyone wants iPhone, no one wants Android, but they are too poor to afford iPhone so they are forced to accept Android phones"? I mean, you can believe whatever you want living in your own bubble.
    Where exactlly do you live?  Do you know the names of the different high-end Apple Authorized resellers in The Philippines?  Are you out and about in countries around the world observing and getting feedback from people regarding iPhone desirability?  I jumped on a ferry two weeks ago to take my bike to another island.  The four seats in front of me were occupied with four Filipinas, three of whom were using iPhones to take selfies.  They were older model iPhones, and the fourth Filipina had a large screen mid-tier Samsung (J-series).  Apparently, in that group, three out of four preferred the more expensive (even used prices) smaller screen iPhones (that cant be financed here) versus a new Samsung which can be financed.  I’ve been kicking around the Philippines for two years, constantly checking traffic in the Apple Authorized resellers, talking to many locals who remark on my iPhone or Apple Watch.  There is much iPhone love here, and it extends to iPads and MacBooks among the call center workers and others who can afford more than just a smartphone.  So my bubble suggests there is demand even in contexts where there are relatively few who can afford iPhones.  
    edited November 2018 AppleExposedracerhomie3watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 23 of 31
    avon b7 said:
    tzeshan said:
    No surprises here, 

The general public wants an iPhone, 

People only buy Android for one reason, PRICE.

Everyone I know that has an Android in Brazil, is because prices on Apple products are CRAZY.

Of course you have the small percentage of people who "love"Android and messing with settings and customization.

Most people won't open advanced setting in the lifetime of the device.
    Huawei Mate 20 Pro is not cheap. It sells for $999. 
    LOL. Someone buys a $999 Huawei product?!

I guess it takes all types...
    Well, Huawei sells models for over $2,000 and people buy them.

In the $800-$1,000 band they sell in the millions.

They 'take all types' as they have phones for every price band.
    1) How many?
    2) How many millions?
    3) That’s what I said. 
    AppleExposedwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 24 of 31
    silvergold84silvergold84 Posts: 107unconfirmed, member
    Normal. There are big differences between iPhone and others. People recognise it. People want the better . And the better is iPhone . Especially people that know very well brand like huawei. People of China prefer iPhone . But we don’t read it on websites , expect here,  because there is a speculation in Wall Street and Apple is the victim. So we can read fake news about rumours of cuttings production lines. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 31
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    I was following this news from China early today but in the articles that came my way, It was specifically stated that Alibaba had not given any individual amounts for the brands (not in revenue or unit sales).

"Despite a media narrative suggesting that Apple's sales are particularly troubled in China due to large volumes of lower-end models sold outside of Apple's core markets among mostly affluent urban Chinese by domestic brands lead by Huawei and Xiaomi"

Was that just added in spite of having no connection with the news itself or has Alibaba now actually released its brand numbers?

No connection? Apple outsold Huawei and Xiaomi to take first place during this sales event. This despite the doom & gloom announcements from many that companies like Huawei and Xiaomi are "eating Apples lunch" in China.

Look, I get it. Having Huawei end up in second (in China) behind Apple must be heart-breaking to you. There's no way you can spin this to make Apple look like they lost, despite your attempts to do so. Alibaba stated Apple was first. They didn't release specific numbers. If you have a problem with their claim, then take it up with them.

Are you confirming that 'large volumes of lower end phones' has nothing to do with what was being reported?

Why are you so concerned with 'winning' or 'losing'? You do realise this entire piece is based on just ONE event. Sales for ONE day and we don't even know what those sales mean because almost nothing has been detailed about them. Still, if you think it has that much relevance, fine.

Seems like you’re the one concerned with “winning or losing”. Hence your attempts to diminish the claim by bringing up sales vs dollars or the fact it was a one day sale.

Apple is the clear winner. Everyone else fights for runner up.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 31

I read this stuff and get all warm and fuzzy inside about Apple's amazing success. They truly have become a leader to follow in smartphones.

tzm41 said:
    Wow Apple fanboys are indeed living in the center of the universe! Sure, Apple may have "won" this sales event.

But "everyone wants iPhone, no one wants Android, but they are too poor to afford iPhone so they are forced to accept Android phones"? I mean, you can believe whatever you want living in your own bubble.
    But _why_ do you want Android? What makes it more attractive to you over the course of 5 years, for example? Do you have Android phones that last 5 years without any problems? There is a distinct advantage to Apple's approach that many die-hard Android users are blind to.

(this is not to downplay the advantages that Android has, but quite often those advantages fly in the face of a seamless, elegant, problem-free user experience).

edited November 2018 radarthekatwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 27 of 31
    tzeshan said:
    No surprises here, 

The general public wants an iPhone, 

People only buy Android for one reason, PRICE.

Everyone I know that has an Android in Brazil, is because prices on Apple products are CRAZY.

Of course you have the small percentage of people who "love"Android and messing with settings and customization.

Most people won't open advanced setting in the lifetime of the device.
    Huawei Mate 20 Pro is not cheap. It sells for $999. 

Correction. It is priced at $999. Whether it sells or not is a whole different issue.
    muthuk_vanalingamradarthekatwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 28 of 31
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

Seems like you’re the one concerned with “winning or losing”. Hence your attempts to diminish the claim by bringing up sales vs dollars or the fact it was a one day sale.

It doesn't seem that way at all. I really don't care. I don't see things as having to win or lose. I see competition.

I don't diminish anything either. I point out the reality as objectively as possible, so when people start throwing around absurd claims, there is a bit of balance in the comments. Then people can make their own minds up.

As you didn't tackle the point head on I will assume that you agree with me.

If you don't know if sales were in unit or value terms it is difficult to draw conclusions. As you had nothing to offer on that point either I will assume you don't know either. Then again, the title of this piece really sums up the reasons for it:

"Apple beat ..."

It's that winners and losers story all over again. And of course the underlying reason is that 'narrative'. The narrative that everybody is out to get Apple. A narrative that simply doesn't exist and even if it did, would apply to just about all the big players, without exception.

Apple, not long ago, was utterly dependant on unit sales of smartphones for growth. That is not  case to the same extent now but people still think the iPhone is the sole flag bearer of the company. It isn't. More than three years of flat sales (that is reality) make it clear.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    tzm41 said:

Dude, it's you that lives in a bubble, a bubble of denial.
    edited November 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 31
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

It doesn't seem that way at all. I really don't care. I don't see things as having to win or lose. I see competition.

I don't diminish anything either. I point out the reality as objectively as possible, so when people start throwing around absurd claims, there is a bit of balance in the comments. Then people can make their own minds up.

If you don't know if sales were in unit or value terms it is difficult to draw conclusions. As you had nothing to offer on that point either I will assume you don't know either. Then again, the title of this piece really sums up the reasons for it:

"Apple beat ..."

It's that winners and losers story all over again. And of course the underlying reason is that 'narrative'. The narrative that everybody is out to get Apple. A narrative that simply doesn't exist and even if it did, would apply to just about all the big players, without exception.

Apple, not long ago, was utterly dependant on unit sales of smartphones for growth. That is not  case to the same extent now but people still think the iPhone is the sole flag bearer of the company. It isn't. More than three years of flat sales (that is reality) make it clear.
    But what exactly is your purpose in even asking about whether Apple beat in units or revenues?  Let’s take each...

If Apple beat in units then it’s virtually a lock that they beat in revenues.  If they didn’t beat in units but instead beat in revenues then isn’t that what’s more important for a business?  Once unit volumes are sufficient to garner significant developer support, to lower component costs via economies of scale, to garner significant mind share among potential costumers, to amortize associated R&D costs, etc, then whether unit volumes outperform other smartphone vendors (selling at far lower ASPs) or are lower than the volumes those vendors shift, doesn’t much matter.  

So what’s the point? 
    edited November 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 31
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

"Apple beat ..."

But what exactly is your purpose in even asking about whether Apple beat in units or revenues?  Let’s take each...

If Apple beat in units then it’s virtually a lock that they beat in revenues.  If they didn’t beat in units but instead beat in revenues then isn’t that what’s more important for a business?  Once unit volumes are sufficient to garner significant developer support, to lower component costs via economies of scale, to garner significant mind share among potential costumers, to amortize associated R&D costs, etc, then whether unit volumes outperform other smartphone vendors (selling at far lower ASPs) or are lower than the volumes those vendors shift, doesn’t much matter.  

So what’s the point? 
    There are various points. I have been following this news from the moment it was released. Since then I haven't seen one article that doesn't point back to the same originator and that article doesn't include a linkable source. 

But lets overlook that point and run with it.

Last Thursday I was checking out Alibaba's specials for the 11 November. Many of them were unit-limited. I don't know if smartphones were.

In the absence of real numbers, even broken down even to a minimal degree, it is impossible to draw many conclusions. In the bigger scheme of things they are actually irrelevant. All there is is one day, one sale.

It is not unlike many vendors (often based in China) that have 'flash sales' that lead to articles like this one:

https://www.gizmochina.com/2018/10/29/huawei-mate-20-sale-8-seconds/

I'm sure you will agree that it is largely pointless.

More contentious is to use the title and the incredibly poor amount of actual data as an excuse to go on about the supposed 'narrative'.

Now, if you go back to my first post in this thread and re-read what I actually said, you will probably agree that nothing has changed. With that in mind I will assume that the actual 'news' in this case is simply an excuse to air 'the narrative'.

muthuk_vanalingam