Spotify comes to Apple Watch with limited set of options

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited November 2018
Spotify on Tuesday released a long-awaited native Apple Watch app, albeit missing some key features for now.

Spotify on Apple Watch

The app, included with Spotify's latest iPhone update, mainly lets users control music being played on an iPhone or other Spotify Connect devices. This includes browsing playlists, and when the service is streaming, the native app will replace Apple's generic music controls.

For quick access Spotify has also included complications, letting people launch with a tap.

Users can't however stream music directly to a Watch, which would be handy for LTE models. Additionally there's no option for local caching as on other platforms, which would guarantee music for GPS models and places with poor internet access. Spotify has promised offline listening down the road.

The Spotify iPhone app is free to download, and runs on iOS 10 or later. An individual Spotify Premium subscription is normally $9.99 per month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

Note: You cannot yet use this app with BT headphones paired your Watch so you'll still need to have your iPhone on you and your headphones paired to your iPhone if you want to play music on the go.

edited November 2018
  • Reply 2 of 7
    LOL what a joke. Did Spotify just start working on their app last month? Because that's all it should have taken given their efforts so far.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 7
    aaronkalb said:
    LOL what a joke. Did Spotify just start working on their app last month? Because that's all it should have taken given their efforts so far.
    I believe the first public beta via TestFlight was just a couple weeks ago, so to have it released this week is a pretty fast turn around.

While it's not what I need for the app to do, at least it's out there and new features will follow. Personally, I'm thankful this much has occurred this month.
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 4 of 7
    iHeartRadio has had this for over a year.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Soli said:

Note: You cannot yet use this app with BT headphones paired your Watch so you'll still need to have your iPhone on you and your headphones paired to your iPhone if you want to play music on the go.

So basically, it's a remote.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    iHeartRadio has had this for over a year.
    I’m happy that Spotify remains committed to the highest standards in providing an awesome music experience - than focusing all their attention on a watch app. 
    Probably why they are #1 in the world of streaming. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Rayz2016 said:
    Soli said:

So basically, it's a remote.
    Yep, but I do expect that to change fairly quickly for offline music via headphones after syncing at least one playlist via the iPhone.

I had thought that the new APIs for watchOS 5 allowed for WiFi and Cellular streaming, but I can't seem to find that actual wording so I have to assume it's only for offline playback. Apple Music will kill a full Watch battery in just 7 hours, according to Apple; or, 15% per hour, which is a huge toll for me if I want to go on a day hike, if SiriusXM were to come to the Watch since there is no offline option for that service, as far I know.