2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    sreesree Posts: 152member
    asdasd said:
    asdasd said:
    Latko said:
    Better hire someone who knows how to sell Ferrari’s in Djibouti
    You do realize there are Ferraris in Pakistan,Bangladesh & India. 
    Whats the addressable Western middle class in India, 300-400M? 

It’s growing.Thats the most important part. 
    Thats also important, but so is the absolute numbers. 300M is what I see. Apple should be able to get. foot hold there.
    There are currently 500million+ smarphone users in India (corresponding numbers are 1.3billion in china and 230m in US for comparison).

Unlike other products, smartphones have nothing to do with 'western middle class'. It has turned into a ubiquitous product that can be found in the remotest of places.

Granted there is a pyramid structure to these things, where the cheaper alternatives are owned by the highest numbers, yet apple's penetration is abysmally low. Infact, unlike 5-7yrs ago people don't aspire to get an iphone in anymore in india. Many of my colleagues and friends have moved away from iphones to android alternatives since their quality is significantly improved over the last couple of years. This is frankly worrying for apple, since these are supposed to be people in their target demographic.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 22 of 23
    sree said:
    asdasd said:
    asdasd said:
    Latko said:
    Better hire someone who knows how to sell Ferrari’s in Djibouti
    You do realize there are Ferraris in Pakistan,Bangladesh & India. 
    Whats the addressable Western middle class in India, 300-400M? 

It’s growing.Thats the most important part. 
    Thats also important, but so is the absolute numbers. 300M is what I see. Apple should be able to get. foot hold there.
    There are currently 500million+ smarphone users in India (corresponding numbers are 1.3billion in china and 230m in US for comparison).

Unlike other products, smartphones have nothing to do with 'western middle class'. It has turned into a ubiquitous product that can be found in the remotest of places.

Granted there is a pyramid structure to these things, where the cheaper alternatives are owned by the highest numbers, yet apple's penetration is abysmally low. Infact, unlike 5-7yrs ago people don't aspire to get an iphone in anymore in india. Many of my colleagues and friends have moved away from iphones to android alternatives since their quality is significantly improved over the last couple of years. This is frankly worrying for apple, since these are supposed to be people in their target demographic.
    Nonsense. Android represents an OS which relies on culling user data for the purpose of monetization. Apple’s iOS does not. If the trade off in privacy and security in exchange for a lower priced product is acceptable, then people are wittingly or unwittingly making that choice.