UBS cuts AAPL target price by $15 over low iPhone XR demand, component order cuts

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    atomic101 said:
    I laugh at these fucking idiots on Wall Street, they've anthropomorphized the iPhone XR into the iPhone 5c reincarnated! That was a dismal failure too, yet went on to be a HUGE seller for Apple!

My wife just upgraded from her venerable 6S+ to the Xr, and LOVES it, and around her office, 6 more people bought an Xr just by playing with her new Xr!

These asshats should be taken over the coals by the SEC, if they actually had any balls left to do it!
    I’m always fascinated by these kinds of defensive posts, followed by anecdotes with how many people they’ve seen purchasing said product. Conversely, I haven’t seen anybody with an XR in the wild. Unless you have a lot of money riding on this, it’ll be okay. Let the market play out and see where the chips actually fall. 
    “Followed by anecdotes” followed by “Conversely, I haven’t seen anybody with an XR in the wild.” 
  • Reply 22 of 32
    How can Apple *not* sell a boat load of iPhone Xr phones? I just wish these high profile naysayers could be taken to task for their season after season high flying prognostications. 
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Tim and Luca are laughing all the way to the bank with these discounts for their buyback initiative .. i dont think they expected it.

I guess but if I was an Apple employee I wouldn’t like it, especially if they offer some sort of employee stock purchase program. Also can’t be too great for morale. These are time times the company needs a better narrative. It’s not a quiet period. Tim could have done some interviews with CNBC or whomever to better explain Apple’s thinking on no longer reporting unit sales and how Wall Street should look at the company going forward. Instead Wall Street is still obsessed with quarterly iPhone unit growth and punishes the stock whenever there are rumors suggesting that metric might not be so great.
    I hear you loud and clear... and agree with Tim and Apple having to go out and do some seriouse PR and Narrative management work.. absolutely .. very good points! As for employees, yup it could be a downer as it is for most who own shares. But you see, barring some disaster, ultimately these buybacks benefit all stock owners including employees.... And if there is a employee stock purchase program i would thinks these discounted prices would allow them to own more shares and hopefully enjoy the gains when they come. Am i missing something about the employee stock purchase program that concerns you ? Would love to know.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Tim and Luca are laughing all the way to the bank with these discounts for their buyback initiative .. i dont think they expected it.

I guess but if I was an Apple employee I wouldn’t like it, especially if they offer some sort of employee stock purchase program. Also can’t be too great for morale. These are time times the company needs a better narrative. It’s not a quiet period. Tim could have done some interviews with CNBC or whomever to better explain Apple’s thinking on no longer reporting unit sales and how Wall Street should look at the company going forward. Instead Wall Street is still obsessed with quarterly iPhone unit growth and punishes the stock whenever there are rumors suggesting that metric might not be so great.
    I just found this info.. it may interest you . Employees are given certain dollar amount of stock not a predetermined number of stocks.. As the result with the discounted prices they will endup with more stocks. https://money.cnn.com/2015/10/15/technology/apple-stocks-free-for-all-employees/index.html
  • Reply 25 of 32
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member

Nonsense. Apple isn’t going out of business anytime soon. Employees have nothing to worry about. I had stock in my company and I didn’t follow it closely until we were undergoing a hostile takeover which failed. 
  • Reply 26 of 32
    omasou said:

How long have you been following Apple? News always needs something negative to say about Apple. Now that Microsoft FUD is over they need to talk about how poorly products are selling. Employees? They're probably laughing too.
    I work for a large corporation. If it lost over $100B in market cap in 5 days no employees would be laughing about it.
    Don't sell tho, and get some more. Of course, it will depend on why the stock fell. If it something fundamentally wrong with the company, that would be one thing, but if it is just FUD being played on the market by the institutional investors against the regular folk, then why would you be worried? Undervalued stock always goes up in value
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Same shit, different year. Every year around this time, suppliers scale back their financial projections because Apple re-plans their inventory. Apple obviously places large initial orders, likely with easy cancellation / reduction but still gaining the volume pricing benefits. Then the analysts use this re-planning to interpret lower product demand, which is subsequently proven false with high sales.

Last year it was the iPhone X, this year the XR. Next year, whatever they offer. Same. Damn. Thing. Every. Time.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    focher said:
    Same shit, different year. Every year around this time, suppliers scale back their financial projections because Apple re-plans their inventory. Apple obviously places large initial orders, likely with easy cancellation / reduction but still gaining the volume pricing benefits. Then the analysts use this re-planning to interpret lower product demand, which is subsequently proven false with high sales.

Last year it was the iPhone X, this year the XR. Next year, whatever they offer. Same. Damn. Thing. Every. Time.
    Sure but this year also coincides with no longer providing quarterly sales figures.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    omasouomasou Posts: 612member
    focher said:

Sure but this year also coincides with no longer providing quarterly sales figures.
    It is becoming painfully obvious you either don't follow Apple history or are propagating your own FUD. Here's a quick cheat sheet for you...

1. Apple is very secretive
    2. Apple is not going to tell anyone their unit sales number, Apple says it will no longer report iPhone sales numbers. Instead they are going to group them in an attempt to stop the nonsense you are are talking about. They absolutely did not say that they will no longer providing quarterly sales figures
    3. Apple is not going to make a public statement everytime someone says something wrong. Just not going to happen. I was really, really surprised last time Tim did say something.
    4. Apple is either internalizing some components, changing what components they use, replacing components with a new SoC (e.g. less components) or trying to stick it to a vendor, e.g. Samsung (remember the going thermonuclear statement?...I have no doubt that Apple will stop sourcing screens, ram, etc. from Samsung as soon as reasonably possible.

edited November 2018 yojimbo007
  • Reply 30 of 32
    kruegdude said:
    atomic101 said:
    I laugh at these fucking idiots on Wall Street, they've anthropomorphized the iPhone XR into the iPhone 5c reincarnated! That was a dismal failure too, yet went on to be a HUGE seller for Apple!

My wife just upgraded from her venerable 6S+ to the Xr, and LOVES it, and around her office, 6 more people bought an Xr just by playing with her new Xr!

These asshats should be taken over the coals by the SEC, if they actually had any balls left to do it!
    I’m always fascinated by these kinds of defensive posts, followed by anecdotes with how many people they’ve seen purchasing said product. Conversely, I haven’t seen anybody with an XR in the wild. Unless you have a lot of money riding on this, it’ll be okay. Let the market play out and see where the chips actually fall. 
    “Followed by anecdotes” followed by “Conversely, I haven’t seen anybody with an XR in the wild.” 
    I guess we missed the point of my post.  The point is that isolated anecdotes from emotional fans are useless in the broader context of things.  The fact that I haven’t seen the product in the wild proves almost nothing given the limits of personal sample sizes, just as much as one person’s claim of the opposite.

I’m not debating the success or failure of the product so much as the illogical arguments driven by personal anecdotes. 

omasouyojimbo007muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 32
    samno said:
    AAPL should just take advantage of this and buy back more shares. While analysts will keep chasing iPhone numbers
    Buybacks are planned in advance, from what I've heard. There would be too much incentive to tank their own stock, then buy it back en masse otherwise. Huge conflict of interest.
    Yeah Finra probably limits that activity, just like they do when CEO sells stock.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 32 of 32
    atomic101 said:
    kruegdude said:
    atomic101 said:

I guess we missed the point of my post.  The point is that isolated anecdotes from emotional fans are useless in the broader context of things.  The fact that I haven’t seen the product in the wild proves almost nothing given the limits of personal sample sizes, just as much as one person’s claim of the opposite.

I’m not debating the success or failure of the product so much as the illogical arguments driven by personal anecdotes. 

Very nicely articulated!