Second watchOS 5.1.2 & third macOS 10.14.2, iOS 12.1.1, tvOS 12.11 developer betas availab...

Posted:
in iOS edited November 2018
Apple on Wednesday pushed out a new batch of developer betas, with participants in Apple's testing program now able to shake down the third developer betas of macOS 10.14.2, iOS 12.1.1. and tvOS 12.1.1, as well as the second developer beta for watchOS 5.1.2.

Developers taking part in the test program can perform an over-the-air update on their devices for the new builds, or can trigger downloads from the Apple Developer Center. The public beta versions of each operating system are usually made available via the Apple Beta Software Program website shortly after the release of the developer beta counterparts.

So far, it seems the move to iOS 12.1.1 is more of an incremental build with relatively few changes, rather than one introducing major new features, so the vast bulk of changes is likely to relate to bug fixes and performance improvements.

FaceTime does have some changes, including the option to take a Live Photo during calls, and a refreshed bottom bar includes buttons for muting and switching the camera, along with other actions.

The macOS Mojave 10.14.2 betas have so far offered few major changes to the desktop operating system, suggesting it will feature bug fixes and performance improvements more than new features.

The watchOS 5.1.2 beta is largely expected to include new complications for the Infograph and Infograph Modular faces, adding extra elements for Messages, Home and Mail.

The previous release, watchOS 5.1.1, is notable for shipping without a beta, with it seemingly fixing an issue that caused some users upgrading to version 5.1 to brick their Apple Watch during installation.

It is likely the tvOS 12.1.1 release is a bug fix version, considering the incremental change of the version number, and that little has been unearthed about its improvements in the betas so far. Again, it seems to be a performance and compatibility release.

AppleInsider, and Apple itself, strongly advise beta users to keep from installing the software on "mission-critical" hardware, such as primary devices, due to the potential for data loss, among other possible issues. It is recommended that secondary or non-essential hardware gets used for beta testing, and that regular backups of any important data are performed.

Find any changes in the new betas? Reach out to us on Twitter at @AppleInsider or @Andrew_OSU, or send Andrew an email at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I think every article that has a Watch OS update should state if EKG is in there or not since it is the most wanted feature. 5.1.1 has been buggy for me. Yesterday, my series 4 was not tracking my calories. I had to reboot.
    HeliBum
  • Reply 2 of 5
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    I wonder if I'm the only one that has tried the Apple Watch walkie talkie watch feature and finds it doesn't work the majority of the time? Maybe this update will fix it? I think it could be a 'killer app' that sells many watches -- but it needs to work flawlessly every time,
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Fatman said:
    I wonder if I'm the only one that has tried the Apple Watch walkie talkie watch feature and finds it doesn't work the majority of the time? Maybe this update will fix it? I think it could be a 'killer app' that sells many watches -- but it needs to work flawlessly every time,

I think possible problem is if the person is available or not (as you can turn that off and on). Also, I think if they don't have it on their wrist it might not work as well.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    To the sounds of Dire Straits, Money for Nothing.

I want my...
    I want my...
    I want my EKG!!

I wonder when Watch OS 5.2 (e.g. the EKG version) will ship.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Mojave's latest dev update has again fixed the Photoshop liquid filter graphics glitch.  It had been fixed three updates ago and then reappeared in the last two.  Now all is good again.  It looks remarkably similar to the HIEC screen issue so I wonder if it related somehow.