Here are the five biggest iPad Pro problems, because no device is perfect

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 124
    MacQc said:
    That's my biggest complain with the iPad: how Apple is doing their marketing. Should I need a physical keyboard, I'll go with a MacBook.
    The argument in favour of a cursor with pointing device for the iPad is essentially the same one I've been making for a touch screen on the Mac. The premise that a device must offer either one or the other is flawed. There's no reason it can't offer both, providing the best of both worlds in a single device.

Offering a pointing device on the iPad and a touch screen on the Mac laptops would make them more similar and make the choice between them less about capability and more about preferred form-factor.

• Reply 122 of 124
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    entropys said:
    It should just work. If you have to do a work around, the concept is compromised... Like far too many Apple products, the iPad Pro has become too expensive to recommend.

i honestly can’t recommend the iPad Pro... Apple product prices is always the first weapon IT use against my use case.

Then IT moves to file management arguments (I have no answer here), and connectivity to local printers and presentation hardware. The day Surface comes with built in GPS it’s game over.
    I would love to see an honest comparison - say a week for each - comparison of a Surface and an iPad running the same applications by a number of different end users:

1- A sales department road warrior
    2- An illustrator
    3- A working journalist
    4- A musician
    5- A filmmaker
    6- An architect
    7- A construction manger
    8- A school teacher
    9- A field scientist
    10- A middle manager in a corporate environment
    11- A field service engineer
    12- An IT manager

I am pretty sure it would blow up the broad claims that an iPad Pro is a laptop replacement.
  • Reply 123 of 124
    Sanctum1972Sanctum1972 Posts: 112unconfirmed, member
    mac_128 said:
    lowededwookie said:
    [...] I can edit video on an iPhone just as easily as using iMovie on the Mac
    "Easily," yes. Accurately, no. Fine adjustments are difficult using a finger on a small screen.
    There is Pencil for that.
    He said he can edit video on an IPHONE. Did you just overlook that or does the iPhone actually support the Pencil now?

macplusplus said:
    If you'd watched the Keynote you'd know or you already know that the reason to attach a 4K monitor to iPad Pro is to follow iMovie edits in real time 4K, since the iPad's own display is not 4K.
    I did watch the Keynote and I didn't get that impression. To me it looked like just using one possible application among many as an example. Assuming I misunderstood and that really is Apple's sole intent, it seems like a whole lotta tech, effort, and expense for not much payoff.
    Your recollection is correct — @macplusplus is wrong as usual. This is from the keynote, an Apple marketing still which inadvertently demonstrates exactly what’s wrong with not having a pointing device. Notice where her eyes are looking. Her only choice is to keep shifting her eyes from the larger display where her attention should be, to the iPad to confirm her fingers are positioned correctly for what she wants to select, then back to the display to view it. That’s not a productive solution. Yet, Apple clearly intends this as a use case with an external display.

Thank you!! I wasn't the only one that saw a glaring discrepancy during their keynote seeing this particular scene. I can see what Apple was trying to pull off using USB-C but their argument was flawed because what the girl in this scene is doing seems a bit bizarre. As an artist/graphic designer myself, I question the logic why she's looking at the iPad when clearly the external monitor should be showing an enlarged photo so she could do some editing. And what infuriates me is how stupid the company is for not coming up with their own external touch screen monitor ( ie. 25-30 inches ) that sits inclined like a Surface Studio, docked with an iPad Pro. This alone would've solved the problem. It's not the first time Apple has created a docking device and not a lot of people remember the PowerBook Duo back in the early 1990s where the laptop is docked to a device which becomes a full fledged Mac. Their answer to an external monitor with USB-C is lazy and insulting when they clearly can do so much better than that. Imagine docking an iPad Pro to the touch screen monitor and the Procreate app shows up on a larger canvas, creating more space and see the entire document at once. This just a use case example I'm making here, for my situation, that could've been the answer to Microsoft's Surface line up. That monitor doesn't have to be close to $1,000 price as long as it lacks an OS built in and is just designed for external use. Simple as that. 

My point is that the flaw on the iPad Pro is working to actual scale of a project. If I were to be illustrating a 20 x 30 piece in high resolution on CMYK mode, say on Procreate, the only way I can view it entirely is to pinch/zoom. My old iPad Pro is 12.9 in size so it cannot SEE the entire document in real time, requiring pinch/zoom which is also somewhat discouraged by the creative industry ( in some parts regarding pushing pixels versus creating expressive strokes ). That in turn, forces me to have to move my image from Procreate over to Dropbox and then to my 2011 iMac for better viewing or fleshing out with a Wacom Intuos ( old school ). I think the 12.9 iPad Pro is handy for a lot of things especially when creating illustrations, sketches, layouts, logos, etc but on the desktop, a large screen is KING which makes it easier on the eyes. 

Another example is that professional comic book illustrators use an 11 x 17 illustration board with margins around which is the standard and this is why most Cintiqs, besides other alternatives, are favored for this reason so they can create to actual 100% scale all at once. On a 12.9 sized tablet, it feels a bit weird, although not impossible. The iPad Pro should've been 20 inches at least for the professional market, at least, to tabloid size. That size alone also would make graphic designer's jobs easier when doing page layout work on books/magazines where you can view both page spreads at actual size. 

Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. I used to work for a local print shop, using a 27 inch iMac several years ago and it was awesome being able to view a book or document entirely. If Apple wants to go PRO with a tablet, 12.9 inches  is NOT the answer. It should've been about 17-20 inches, at least. Also, Jony Ive is an industrial designer and he should KNOW better than that since professional creatives draw from the shoulder in wide strokes. When I was in art school years ago, I've seen the Industrial Design students' work and they were incredible conceptual drawings of cars and products in LARGE sheets, if I recall, around 20 x 30 inch transparency and marker paper tacked up in layered stacks. They had to draw BIG, not small. And here, you have Jony Ive going along with a 12.9 inch design. What the hell!? He should've fought Tim Cook and said " No. 17-20 inches should be the standard if pros are going to use them with the Pencil ". 

Sure, I can always draw small scale by hand using a moleskine sketchbook, no problem. I do it all the time. But when I do it digitally, I go with Concepts, Procreate, Clip Studio Paint ( both iOS and desktop ), Sketchbook Pro, etc. 

Like I said, SCALE one of the iPad Pro's biggest weaknesses.
    edited December 2018
  • Reply 124 of 124
    My iPad pro(the one before the latest one) many times goes to a total standstill so that for about 5 to 10 seconds there are no action whatsoever. Most of the time i am working in bed with the screen tilted about 45 to 75 degrees. May this be the problem? William