Mac mini 2018: 10-bit color via intel UHD graphics 630 and version of Thunderbolt controller?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Anyone has been able to find out the following from Apple or another source?

Does the integrated Intel UHD graphics 630 chip support 10-bit color per channel (ARGB2101010) over DisplayPort via the TB3 port?

I have an Eizo CG277 that supports 10-display 
https://www.eizoglobal.com/products/coloredge/cg277/index.html

I would like to know whether the Intel Graphics UHD 630 supports deep color (10-bit color per channel) with a 10-bit display IPS panel or whether I need an eGPU?

Apple does not mention the version of the Thunderbolt controller in the new Mac mini 2018.

Is the Thunderbolt controller of the new mac mini 2018, the Titan ridge version that supports DisplayPort 1.4 or is it the Alpine Titan (DisplayPort 1.2)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Prophil said:
    Anyone has been able to find out the following from Apple or another source?

Does the integrated Intel UHD graphics 630 chip support 10-bit color per channel (ARGB2101010) over DisplayPort via the TB3 port?

I have an Eizo CG277 that supports 10-display https://www.eizoglobal.com/products/coloredge/cg277/index.html

I would like to know whether the Intel Graphics UHD 630 supports deep color (10-bit color per channel) with a 10-bit display IPS panel or whether I need an eGPU?

Apple does not mention the version of the Thunderbolt controller in the new Mac mini 2018.

Is the Thunderbolt controller of the new mac mini 2018, the Titan ridge version that supports DisplayPort 1.4 or is it the Alpine Titan (DisplayPort 1.2)?

The controller is the newer Titan Ridge, not Alpine Ridge. While the 630 is technically capable of 10-bit color, I'm not certain if it does in the mini. This all said, the performance is pretty poor, so even if it did, I'd still recommend an eGPU for what you want to do.
    Prophil
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Thank you Mike. This is most useful. I find it very difficult to find detailed specs of Apple products.

Actually, I don't really need a dedicated GPU or an eGPU in the case of Mac Mini 2018.

I do RAW processing of images using Capture One pro, and sometimes use Photoshop CC for sharpening and image resampling.
    I do not do any video editing, HDR, or use sophisticated denoising algorithms.

I intend to get a Mac mini 2018 with the I7-8700B CPU, 32 GB ram and the 2 TB ssd.
    As long as I can output to 2560x1440 resolution (default 27" display) at 
    ARGB2101010, I would be ok.