First Vega-equipped MacBook Pro benchmarks show expected surges in performance

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited November 2018
Early benchmarks have appeared for Apple's new 15-inch MacBook Pro configurations with Radeon Pro Vega 20 graphics cards, suggesting the top-tier machines may be worth it for people who need peak performance.

MacBook Pro

Configurations with a Vega 20 are managing Geekbench OpenCL scores between 72,799 and 80,002. The best performance is naturally reserved for Pros with Core i9 processors, starting at 75,817. OpenCL is an industry-standard framework for running apps across multiple processor types.

Apple is deprecating OpenCL in favor of its Metal 2 standard, but a 2.9-gigahertz Core i9-equipped Pro nevertheless has a Metal score of 73,953.

The new figures are strong against Pros with Radeon Pro 560X cards, which typically have Metal numbers around 57,000 and OpenCL scores close to 65,000. The benchmarks were first spotted by MacRumors.

Data has yet to appear for Vega 16 cards, which add $250 to a Pro's cost. The Vega 20 option is $350.

15-inch MacBook Pros are already expensive, starting at $2,799. Without increasing storage, maximizing performance -- including a Vega 20, a Core i9, and 32 gigabytes of RAM -- costs $3,849.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Holy smoke, I just went broke reading this. I want one pretty bad, though. 
    caladanianwatto_cobrachia
  • Reply 2 of 16
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I would be happy for an i7 and the Vega 20.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Buying pretty much as soon as Adorama gets them in stock (they did start listing the Vega option in the GPU drop down though). Never thought I’d be dropping $5K on a MacBook Pro, but I’m ready for it with this kind of power. :)

Will these options end up getting the APINSIDER discount as well when they arrive?
    edited November 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Just had a look on the Australian Apple store.

Ow. A$5K without going for the i9. (OK, I put 32GB in it, too.)

Really have no way of justifying it, even if I was looking for an upgrade. But nice to know it's an option.

mike54watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Really want to know if apple change the thermal exchange structure for the Vega with i9. Given all the criticism about the heating problem with i9
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I wish someone would take this graphics chip and make a small box eGPU for the Mini that was faster and cheap and quiet... 😁
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    viclauyyc said:
    Really want to know if apple change the thermal exchange structure for the Vega with i9. Given all the criticism about the heating problem with i9
    They fixed the throttling error in firmware like a week after those came out. Is that what you're talking about? I'm not aware of any "heating problem" beyond that.
    macpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    viclauyyc said:
    They fixed the throttling error in firmware like a week after those came out. Is that what you're talking about? I'm not aware of any "heating problem" beyond that.
    Sites don't ever report the fixes...only the issues. Fixes don't get clicks, issues with Apple products do. That being said, I bet some don't even know it was fixed. 
    edited November 2018 kirkgraywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    mike54 said:
    I would of bought the mac mini if it had the Vega graphics option. I'll be good if they'd make it a bit taller for the thermals if they had to.
    Ditto - to me that would be a more 'pro' mini if it could work at an affordable price... That and a drive bay (or two) for industry standard non-T2 internal storage, not unlike one 2011 mini with BTO options... everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac-mini-core-i7-2.7-mid-2011-specs.html
    mike54
  • Reply 11 of 16
    macxpress said:
    viclauyyc said:
    Sites don't ever report the fixes...only the issues. Fixes don't get clicks, issues with Apple products do. That being said, I bet some don't even know it was fixed. 
    This isn't true at all. Go search for "MacBook Pro i9 update" and you'll see it was covered by nearly everyone who reviews these machines.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    noraa1138noraa1138 Posts: 31unconfirmed, member
    viclauyyc said:
    The i9 gets hot as hell, but it's cooled effectively. Even when all 6 cores are running at full tilt I don't see any throttling. The initial issue was a firmware issue that Apple fixed shortly after the MBP's came out.

With that being said, I'm not sure if the Vega produces significantly more heat than the current 555x or 560x. If it does, I would imagine either the fans can spin at a higher rate (they currently top out at about 5700 rpm) or that there was a tweak to the heat sink to better dissipate the heat. There isn't a lot of room inside the MBP case to make changes, but maybe adding a millimeter or so of thickness to the heat pipe would help.
    caladanianfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    noraa1138noraa1138 Posts: 31unconfirmed, member
    I'm trying not to be mad that the Vega wasn't an option when I bought my MBP back in August - I obviously was content with the purchase when I made it. That being said, I totally would have spent the additional money for the Vega 20. At least there're eGPU's now.
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    mike54 said:
    I would of bought the mac mini if it had the Vega graphics option. I'll be good if they'd make it a bit taller for the thermals if they had to.
    **cough* eGPU** Why would you want something fixed in place when you can get an eGPU and change out the GPU whenever it no longer serves its purpose for you anymore? 
    watto_cobrachia
  • Reply 15 of 16
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYN4HYLhHpg

Good review of the pro vega, is it worth keeping??
    watto_cobra