I7 Vega 20 Macbook pro Benchmark request

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Before I pull the trigger on purchasing a replacement for my 2011 MacBook Pro, I'm trying to determine which CPU will stay cooler when under load between the i7 & i9. I've already seen the thermals of the i9 which clocks down to between 1.7 & 1.8. That number tells me the i7 could have a chance to do better under load if it is more efficient with thermals. Could someone run a test to check that out?

You'd need to install intel power gadget to monitor the heat while using Heaven benchmark to load the GPU while running enough of the following commands to get the CPU to ramp up. You should start with loading the CPU to 100% & verify using activity monitor as each null command will only load some of the CPU, not all. Run this in thermal:
yes > /dev/null
After you are done with the test, you'll need to use activity monitor to terminate each null command. This will not damage your MacBook as it will throttle like every other laptop.  Let it stabilize & record what it ends at.  I'm guessing it is going to be a bit lower than 1.7.  I would appreciate any help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    If you're getting thermal throttling down to 1.7GHz after the supplemental update from the summer, there's something wrong. Under full load for extended runs, my i9 maintains 3.2GHz or 3.3GHz with no issue.