Apple launches new Entrepreneurship Camp for women with app-driven businesses

Posted:
in General Discussion
Soon, women will have the chance to attend a new Entreprenuer Camp hosted in Cupertino that is designed to help app-driven businesses that are ownered or stewarded by women.

Coding at Entrepreneur Camp

The camp affords attendees a multititude of benefits, including sending three partipants out to Cupertino, CA for a two-week program with design, technology, marketing, and one-on-one coding time with Apple engineers to help them be successful. Two tickets to WWDC and a complimentary year in the Apple Developer program are also included if accepted.

The new camp will be available four times a year, with 20 app-driven companies admitted each time, starting in January of 2019. The first round will only include ten companies as Apple ramps up the program.

"Apple is committed to helping more women assume leadership roles across the tech sector and beyond. We're proud to help cultivate female leadership in the app development community with the new Apple Entrepreneur Camp," said Apple CEO Tim Cook. "We're inspired both by the incredible work that's already happening, and what's sure to come," he added.

Those would like to apply can do so on Apple's site.

Also on Monday, Apple also introduced new Hour of Code guides as well as opened up registrations for Everyone Can Code sessions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Ahem, don’t forget to read this “* Apple believes that gender expression is a fundamental right. We welcome all women to apply to this program.”

I honestly don’t know what this means, anyone?
    What I do know is that excluding someone to participate based solely on there sex is the very definition of discrimination. 
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 2 of 5
    knowitall said:
    Ahem, don’t forget to read this “* Apple believes that gender expression is a fundamental right. We welcome all women to apply to this program.”

What I do know is that excluding someone to participate based solely on there sex is the very definition of discrimination. 
    It just means that there will be no transfobia etc.

As far as your sensitive male ego… I’m pretty sure any of the other gazillion events with mostly men will suit you just fine. You will survive there existing events focusing on not you.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    svanstrom said:
    knowitall said:

As far as your sensitive male ego… I’m pretty sure any of the other gazillion events with mostly men will suit you just fine. You will survive there existing events focusing on not you.
    Tanks for the explanation, that might indeed be the case.
    No need to be offended, I just pointed out (to you apparently) that (perceived) discrimination cannot be conquered by discriminating yourself.
    Enfin, you don’t disput what I’m saying.
    I should  also point out to you that “events with mostly men” are not so by design, but just so.
    Also, my identity is not coupled to being male, that would be (utterly) silly (because it’s not a property I created myself or of which I could take credit for).
  • Reply 4 of 5
    knowitall said:
    svanstrom said:
    knowitall said:

Tanks for the explanation, that might indeed be the case.
    No need to be offended, I just pointed out (to you apparently) that (perceived) discrimination cannot be conquered by discriminating yourself.
    Enfin, you don’t disput what I’m saying.
    I should  also point out to you that “events with mostly men” are not so by design, but just so.
    Also, my identity is not coupled to being male, that would be (utterly) silly (because it’s not a property I created myself or of which I could take credit for).
    There's this story that's stuck with me, and unfortunately I've forgotten the source of it (but would claim that it's relevant even if assumed to be fictional):

There's a man attending a feminist bookclub. He overhears a white and a black woman talk about what they see when they look into a mirror… The white woman says that what she sees is a woman; while the black woman says that she sees a black woman. The man thinks to himself that what he sees when he looks into a mirror is a person.

"White male privilege" isn't necessarily about having more than ones fair share, rather it's about having the good fortune of not having certain disadvantages that comes with being not-cis-male or not-white.

Those people looking into their mirrors are reminded about their "handicap" in society.

So, yes, there are lots of events with mostly men that are so completely without any design to exclude anyone; but that doesn't mean that they are as accessible to everyone as they are to men.

If you look into a mirror and only see a person, then it's hard to understand how life is when you constantly must take into account that you can't just attend an event to focus on the event, because there will almost always be at least one person that makes it about your gender or race.

Having events that help people actually have complete access to what the event is about isn't about inequality towards men, it's about giving equal access to knowledge/resources that are unevenly available to people without the good luck of not having to deal with either gender- or race-related issues instead of just the event.
    crowley
  • Reply 5 of 5
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Well said.