What does the 17" iMac tell us about the Powermac?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    Regarding future specs:

What I always remember for ME as hope for future Macs is a quote from Jen-Hsun Huang, CEO of Nvidia. I through my issue away, however in the July issue, he was discussing future stategy. Somehow Apple came up and he said something to the effect of: "Look for a lot of interesting things coming from that space." This quote was in context of a shipping timeframe of the end of summer sometime.

I believe in fact that there indeed ARE some secret dealings with Nvidia. Let's hope it happens and that it helps PowerMacs and they can really be "Power" Macs once again.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    the 15 and 17 inch studio displays will lower there price and in august the powermacs will be upgraded. Now only if they would sell the powerbook line with studio displays for the same value you get witht the iMac.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    scadboyscadboy Posts: 189member
    I think we've seen the last of the 15" FlatPenel iMac, I predict that once inventory is cleared out, they'll update the range with the standard faster processors, more ram, HD space, etc, except that all models will have the 17" widescreen display.

The fact that they were able to bring out the 17" iMac at a very reasonable price point, only $200 over the equivelant 15" model, indicates to me that it would be practical for the rest of the line. Perhaps two-three months down the road, Apple Expo Paris maybe, we'll see the line refreshed.

I also think this is true since they're obviously trying to ditch the 15" studio display. Does anyone know if they use the same glass? I think it's reasonable to suspect that Apple is trying to streamline their LCD inventory, and perhaps we can expect the 17" studio display to take on the iMac's proportions.

Also, on Apple's iMac page, there are NO 15" LCD imacs, anywhere. Every single picture of the iMac is the widescreen 17." Not even on the Apple store.

hmmmm,

ciao,

michael
  • Reply 24 of 24
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by Welcome to Darwin:

<strong>And ys, there are pros who can make due with an iMac, and would, especially if it had that widescreen display coupled with a faster processor than the low-end PowerMac, all for $1,999.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What still bothers me about the LCD iMac, even more now that it features a 17" wide-screen, is that you won't be able to keep your LCD when you upgrade your CPU. To me that's one of the prime advantages of the PowerMac.

Displays have significantly longer lifetimes than CPUs. That's why all-in-one designs are inherently flawed unless they include a cheap CRT that you won't mind going to waste. I won't mind discarding the cheap CRT in my Rev.A iMac when I finally upgrade. But if I got a 17" LCD iMac and were to replace it down the road, I would hate to throw away a superb 17" wide-screen display. If I get a PowerMac with a separate display, I know that down the road, I'll be able to hold on to my monitor investment.

In summary: I'll gladly spend more money for a separate PowerMac and 17" Studio Display than for a 17" LCD iMac so that I can keep my display the next time I want to upgrade my CPU. The low-end PowerMac is not dead by any means!

Escher