Target may be ready to concede and enable Apple Pay at retail

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    roake said:
    dipdog3 said:
    Their current painful solution, Walmart Pay, tries to offer convenience for using a debit card, which is not subject to the high prices of credit cards

Your statement is wrong. You can use a credit card with Walmart Pay, do it all the time.

It’s also not a “painful” solution. It’s somewhere in between using a physical credit card and Apple Pay.

The biggest issue with Walmart Pay is that you have to open up the Walmart app & click on Walmart Pay to use it. Once you scan the QR code, it’s actually faster than Apple Pay. On the positive side, all of your receipts are stored in the app, so saves paper and makes for easy returns.
    Translation: they track all your perchases, no matter how personal.  Wal Mart is making you another product that they can sell.

The clear advantage for Apple Pay for me is the privacy, including the tokenized card numbers so that The store doesn’t have them to lose, and they can track my purchase because they don’t know who they sold them to.  Almost like paying cash.
    "They're tracking your purchases" is a somewhat specious complaint.  They could track purchases made with a credit card even when a user doesn't use the app.  If they wanted to.
    Right, but not if they allowed Apple Pay...
    netmagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 44
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,406member
    They just then need to add their Debit and Credit cards to the program. The credit cards are through TD Bank. Not sure who manages the debit cards.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 44
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    It’s about time considering that data breach a few years ago. They should have been one of the first to get on with Apple Pay, et al. 
    Yep, that's why I won't shop at Target.
    Not only did they let people steal my personal information, but they refused to take measures (such as enabling Apple Pay) that would help insure that my personal information was protected during future shopping trips.

I'll continue to avoid shopping there even if they do acquiesce and enable Apple Pay because they have revealed that they do not value me as a customer.   Instead, I'll shop at businesses that do.
    chianetmagelostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 44
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    roake said:
    dipdog3 said:
    Their current painful solution, Walmart Pay, tries to offer convenience for using a debit card, which is not subject to the high prices of credit cards

Your statement is wrong. You can use a credit card with Walmart Pay, do it all the time.

It’s also not a “painful” solution. It’s somewhere in between using a physical credit card and Apple Pay.

The biggest issue with Walmart Pay is that you have to open up the Walmart app & click on Walmart Pay to use it. Once you scan the QR code, it’s actually faster than Apple Pay. On the positive side, all of your receipts are stored in the app, so saves paper and makes for easy returns.
    Translation: they track all your perchases, no matter how personal.  Wal Mart is making you another product that they can sell.

The clear advantage for Apple Pay for me is the privacy, including the tokenized card numbers so that The store doesn’t have them to lose, and they can track my purchase because they don’t know who they sold them to.  Almost like paying cash.
    "They're tracking your purchases" is a somewhat specious complaint.  They could track purchases made with a credit card even when a user doesn't use the app.  If they wanted to.
    This is why some retailers ask you for your zip code when you pay with a credit card and aren’t part of their loyalty program. They get your name from the credit card, and then with the zip code they can look you up in public databases start building a profile on you based on your purchases because unless you live in a big city or have a very common name chances are there is only one person with your first, last, and middle initial living in your zip code.
    chiabeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 44
    mike1 said:
    They just then need to add their Debit and Credit cards to the program. The credit cards are through TD Bank. Not sure who manages the debit cards.
    Those are also through TD Bank. Target used to have their own banking division that issued the RedCard credit and debit cards but TD acquired it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=33350857
    netmageronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 44
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    dipdog3 said:

Are you saying WalMart still doesn’t hand customers a wad of paper when they pay with the app? I find that hard to believe. And I rarely return items with receipts. As long as I use the same credit card I bought the item with, the store’s system can look it up and handle the whole thing electronically. So that’s not really a unique solution to anything. Granted, better stored in the app than paper.

On the other hand, I find Apple Pay is one of the hardest to make returns with, and I’m not sure if it’s the retailer not complying with Apple Pay standards or not. I’m required to produce an ID even with a receipt to return something since there’s no physical card, even if I’m buying something else.
    applesauce007 said:
    They do have iPhones and credit/debit cards.  Some may need to be shown how to set it up and use it.

These stores are learning that customers don't want to use a different payment system for every store.

Apple Pay is driving mobile payments globally.  Any vendor that does not support it will eventually lose some sales and have more credit/debit fraud cases to deal with.  That leads to higher fraud insurance premiums for them.

Not to mention that Apple Pay speeds up payment processing lines.   Walgreens cashiers love ApplePay as it supports both Walgreens Rewards in addition to payments.  No code or phone number to enter and no change to give back.  Just beep and go. Face ID makes it even easier.
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    First CVS and now Target. The big prize is Walmart of course and I wonder how long till they give in.
    Probably a while - the average WalMart customer doesn’t have an iPhone...
    WalMart offers things most retailers don’t. Which sets the payment practice apart from most of their retailers. Walgreens customers aren’t loading up a shopping cart with a weeks worth of groceries, and home goods — they’re mostly a few items picked up with some prescriptions, or a convenience purchase, forgotten at the generally much cheaper WalMart. So the speed at which they push customers through the cashier is important, where paying for the items is often slower than ringing hem up. 

For WalMart customers, the payment process can take a long time as each item is scanned and bagged. Customers are also wading through coupons, scanning rewards cards, and so forth. By the time the items are rung up and bagged, there’s plenty of time for the customer to open the app, select WMPay and scan the QR. and there’s added incentive to do this by Walmart offering points and discounts for using the app. This is a major reason why people still use the Starbucks app, even though they now take Apple Pay — for the rewards plan, bonuses, and gifts offered for pulling out the app, and scanning the QR code to complete the purchase, not to mention reloading the card. I haven’t personally used the Walmart app, but the Starbucks app at least pops up when I walk into a Starbucks, so WalMart could likely make it easier to use if it doesn’t already.

So while having one payment system is preferable for most customers, if there’s enough incentive they won’t care. There’s nothing I hate more than the whole rewards card process before every purchase at major chain stores, and I still have to go through it whether I have one or not. Then there’s the person who lost theirs and has to try 3 phone numbers because they don’t remember which they signed up with. So many customers don’t care about extra steps if the benefits are worth taking them.
    edited November 2018 ronnbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 27 of 44
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,406member
    payeco said:
    mike1 said:
    Those are also through TD Bank. Target used to have their own banking division that issued the RedCard credit and debit cards but TD acquired it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=33350857
    OK. My credit card says TD bank, but my debit card makes no mention.
    Since TD Bank already supports Apple Pay, presumably the Target cards would be easy to flip on once Target said OK.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 44
    It has been working at my local CVS in northern New England for a couple of months now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 44
    It has been working at my local CVS in northern New England for a couple of months now.
    That was announced back in July...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 44
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,997member
    Rayz2016 said:
    dipdog3 said:

So, once you find the app, open the app, click on Pay then scan the QR code, it’s faster than Apple Pay. 

You are soooooo winning. 🙄
    ApplePay is absolutely faster. That's one of my favorite things about using it, especially with the chip cards. That said, when I use the Target App to pay, opening my phone, opening the App and pulling up the payment screen takes less than 5 seconds. I just do it and the cashier scans the code in between scanning paper towels and toothpaste, so the effective time difference is really zero.

As far as privacy goes, Stores have been linking purchases to credit card numbers for years now. The apps definitely take it a step beyond that, but if you're worried about privacy I wouldn't use a credit card at all.
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 44
    ronnronn Posts: 677member
    macxpress said:
    I would love for Target to do ApplePay with their own RedCard. I use the RedCard all the time...like every week since I get my groceries there (Super Target)
    The couple places that I go to often refuse to integrate their loyalty programs with ApplePay -- Starbucks & Target. I actually haven't shopped in Target in more than a month because it's so frustrating and annoying to shop there due to lack of cashiers and always broken self-checkout kiosks. Finally set up ApplePay and raring to use it. Unfortunately my nabe is an ApplePay desert. Many businesses insist on cash only.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 44
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    lkrupp said:
    First CVS and now Target. The big prize is Walmart of course and I wonder how long till they give in.
    Walmart will never go, take a little notice of Walmart shoppers, how many of them do you think can afford an Apple product. Walmart clientele would not fall in the sweet spot of Apple clientele at this point. This could change in the future. Target on the other hand does cater to Apple type customers.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 44
    MplsP said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    dipdog3 said:

So, once you find the app, open the app, click on Pay then scan the QR code, it’s faster than Apple Pay. 

You are soooooo winning. ߙ䦬t;/div>
    ApplePay is absolutely faster. That's one of my favorite things about using it, especially with the chip cards. That said, when I use the Target App to pay, opening my phone, opening the App and pulling up the payment screen takes less than 5 seconds. I just do it and the cashier scans the code in between scanning paper towels and toothpaste, so the effective time difference is really zero.

As far as privacy goes, Stores have been linking purchases to credit card numbers for years now. The apps definitely take it a step beyond that, but if you're worried about privacy I wouldn't use a credit card at all.
    EMV eliminated the credit card numbers for retail transactions. All they get now is a unique one time use token generated for each transaction and your name. Apple Pay operates using the same EMV technology but does not transmit your name, so to a retailer the transaction is completely anonymous if you aren’t part of a loyalty program.
    edited November 2018 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 44
    tbornottbornot Posts: 116member
    What credit card companies are worried about is a loss of risk using their cards.  Without risk, such as fraud, the credit card companies would fall under the usury laws, which forbid high interest rates.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 44
    tbornottbornot Posts: 116member
    When my credit card was stolen, my card was cancelled.  In a little over an hour my iPhone dinked and a message said my new card was ready for use with ApplePay.  Think about that, instead of waiting for your new card in the mail, Apple fixed it right away.  Magic!
    macsince1988watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 44
    tbornot said:
    What credit card companies are worried about is a loss of risk using their cards.  Without risk, such as fraud, the credit card companies would fall under the usury laws, which forbid high interest rates.
    I’m not sure where you heard/read any of that but it’s completely false. To be frank, what you just said is completely nonsensical. Credit card companies want to do as much as they can to reduce fraud. That is why Apple gets a very small cut of each Apple Pay transaction, because it reduces fraud risk enough that they feel it’s worth them getting a slice.

Additionally, Federal law allows credit card companies to charge interest rates nationwide based on the laws of the state they’re based in. That’s why most banks base their credit card divisions in Delaware, and to a lesser extent South Dakota. Those states have no laws regulating interest rates which means, essentially, there are no laws in effect on interest rates nationwide.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 44
    tbornot said:
    Usury laws are not really a thing in the US. I think it’s really more a moral or religious thing for some.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    roakeroake Posts: 821member
    roake said:
    dipdog3 said:

But they CAN’T track your purchases if you use ApplePay.
    jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 44
    roakeroake Posts: 821member
    MplsP said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    dipdog3 said:

You are soooooo winning. 🙄

So ApplePay allows you to use your credit card and still retain your privacy, at least from that retailer.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 44
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,907member
    I wish more restaurants would use Apple Pay at the table for payment. I really hate seeing my card leave the table to get scanned. Maybe Apple needs to offer a hardware soluton that makes this easier for the restaurants or the makers of restaurant management software.
    watto_cobra