Hands on with the new features in watchOS 5.1.2

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Maceman259 Maceman259 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    MacPro, I totally agree with you on the Siri deal. I ask for different random things and I get the same response at times regarding I’ll tap you. Frustrating. Read my comments before & see if you notice the message deal when you want to reply from your Watch. I have the 44mm LTE as well.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    netmage said:
    Still no stopwatch or sunrise/set complications. They really should have just shimmed the old complications in the new faces where possible and migrated them as they have time.
    Huh? I’m looking at the sunset/rise comp in Infograph right now, it came out with the 4.
    Try Infograph Modular. I have it on Modular still.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    MacPro said:
    I was hoping the update would fix the one thing I have a problem with on my new Watch 44mm v4.  It hasn't.

Whenever I ask it to time something, e.g. "five minutes" it invariable types on the screen ... 'I'll tap you when I am ready.'  Note there is no need to say 'Hey Siri when doing a timer on a watch.  It never does 'tap me later,' not that tapping me sometime later would be much help when cooking a fillet mignon on the grill!

Other earlier version Watches we have, start the timer countdown immediately as will Siri on an iPhone, iPad or even our HomePods.  Not this new watch ... After several retries, it will start the timer but rarely first go.  I am baffled.

Has anyone else ever seen this behavior?

Yes, see this behaviour all the time on my Mk2. I think Siri has learning difficulties.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Rayz2016 said:
    MacPro said:
    I was hoping the update would fix the one thing I have a problem with on my new Watch 44mm v4.  It hasn't.

Whenever I ask it to time something, e.g. "five minutes" it invariable types on the screen ... 'I'll tap you when I am ready.'  Note there is no need to say 'Hey Siri when doing a timer on a watch.  It never does 'tap me later,' not that tapping me sometime later would be much help when cooking a fillet mignon on the grill!

Other earlier version Watches we have, start the timer countdown immediately as will Siri on an iPhone, iPad or even our HomePods.  Not this new watch ... After several retries, it will start the timer but rarely first go.  I am baffled.

Yes, see this behaviour all the time on my Mk2. I think Siri has learning difficulties.
    What is weird is all other devices I use don't do this on the same LAN standing in the same position, why would one have s delay if it is a  Siri problem?  Isn't Siri a centralized AI we all tap into or are we now dealing with edge computing for certain uses of Siri thus it could be a device-specific issue?  
  • Reply 25 of 40
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    TMacPro said:

Me. I get that all the time on my S2. Grab my phone and it's done now, while I'm still waiting for the Watch.

I've sent maybe 20+ complaints to Apple Feedback. I know they won't reply, but I'm hoping I'm not the only one sending in a complaint. And while it may not get the situation corrected, it does have a mild cathartic benefit.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 26 of 40
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    longterm said:
    A long ad in the middle of your video?

Note to self: don't waste time watching anymore AI videos.
    So, are you suggesting that ai go to a subscription model?  (Somebody's gotta pay the bills)
  • Reply 27 of 40
    vkodryan said:
    Even though Irregular Rhythm Notifications feature has been made available to all Apple Watch series, it does not work outside the U.S. even with USA selected in regional settings. Another disappointment... it’s not an ECG app, which as Apple warned is only available in the US and IS territories. 
    As has been previously pointed out in the forum, regulations for medical diagnostics approvals are a country-by-country thing. This has nothing necessarily to do with Apple. The FDA was quick to approve this in the US. 

I’ll bet Cook & Co are working their butts off to make it happen.  
    williamlondonStrangeDays
  • Reply 28 of 40
    macgui said:
    TMacPro said:

Me. I get that all the time on my S2. Grab my phone and it's done now, while I'm still waiting for the Watch.

I've sent maybe 20+ complaints to Apple Feedback. I know they won't reply, but I'm hoping I'm not the only one sending in a complaint. And while it may not get the situation corrected, it does have a mild cathartic benefit.
    OK just out of curiosity, it's 10:49 a.m. here in Florida, the only time I am usually trying this is dinner time EST as I use it to cook (or would if it worked)  ... I just tried asking my 44mm Watch version 4  for 'two minutes' and instantly it started the timer.  Why can't it do that when I need it to? lol.  Sod's Law maybe? (a British expression).
  • Reply 29 of 40
    MacPro said:
    macgui said:
    TMacPro said:

OK just out of curiosity, it's 10:49 a.m. here in Florida, the only time I am usually trying this is dinner time EST as I use it to cook (or would if it worked)  ... I just tried asking my 44mm Watch version 4  for 'two minutes' and instantly it started the timer.  Why can't it do that when I need it to? lol.  Sod's Law maybe? (a British expression).
    The only time I have this issue is when I’m in the car AND my iPhone is playing music over Bluetooth. If I pause the music Siri via my Watch (44mm) works almost immediately. I’ve only had this issue since upgrading from a Series 3 to a Series 4. Prior to S4 (or maybe it’s watchOS 5) I could use Siri via Apple Watch while listening to music over Bluetooth with no issues. 

I tend to use Siri via Watch while driving much more than using Siri via iPhone when driving (and connected to Bluetooth). It’s very frustrating to me when my phone is connected to the car over Bluetooth that invoking Siri 1) takes longer to get the chime, 2) I hear quiet white noise in the background while Siri listens, 3) Siri’s voice sounds low quality (I get the same behavior using Siri and AirPods). My car is sans CarPlay but my wife’s has it and everything works/sounds so much better.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    ilovemom said:
    I loved Apple for so many years, but more and more I'm reading news about Apple with the same feelings similar to reading something about, lets say, Audiosonic stereo sets.

That is: feeling absolutely nothing anymore.
    Nobody cares.
    Rayz2016williamlondonStrangeDays
  • Reply 31 of 40
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Battery life improves for me. More complications, sweet! Overall, a must to update.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    ilovemom said:
    I loved Apple for so many years, but more and more I'm reading news about Apple with the same feelings similar to reading something about, lets say, Audiosonic stereo sets.

And the real downer for you and others who feel the same is that you have no place to go. Think about it, no place to go to go to get that feeling back. Tragic.
    anantksundaramwilliamlondonMacProRayz2016StrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    ilovemom said:

🎻🎻🎻🎻

Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rat’s Ass Quartet!

williamlondonStrangeDaysfastasleep
  • Reply 34 of 40
    lkrupp said:
    ilovemom said:

And the real downer for you and others who feel the same is that you have no place to go. Think about it, no place to go to go to get that feeling back. Tragic.
    LOL, good response.
    williamlondonStrangeDays
  • Reply 35 of 40
    MacPro said:

Exactly what phrase are you using?  On my Series 3 with LTE, using OS 5.1.1, the phrase I use is "Hey Siri, set a timer for X minutes."  I've had a problem in a noisy room before, but not much of anywhere else I can think of.  And yes, I know I can use "Lift and Speak" now, but I've gotten used to "Hey Siri", and haven't broken the habit yet. :)
  • Reply 36 of 40
    MacPro said:

Exactly what phrase are you using?  On my Series 3 with LTE, using OS 5.1.1, the phrase I use is "Hey Siri, set a timer for X minutes."  I've had a problem in a noisy room before, but not much of anywhere else I can think of.  And yes, I know I can use "Lift and Speak" now, but I've gotten used to "Hey Siri", and haven't broken the habit yet. :)
    I have a 44mm and also have no issues setting a timer the way you have described, including the “Hey, Siri” part. I set timers on my watch a few times a day this way.

Lift to speak has been very hit or miss for me though, and it’s mostly miss. In fact, I had forgotten it was a feature because I gave up trying and just reverted to “Hey, Siri”. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 37 of 40
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    ilovemom said:

And you're on an Apple Forum, why???
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 38 of 40
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    MacPro said:
    This update is killing my battery quick!  iPhone XS Max is barely making it .  Around 4:00 pm est I’m usually around 70%.  Currently at 39%.  Apple needs to test  these updates a lot better ...
    I find the reverse.  Now after a full day my 44mm, Mk 4 is still 75% charged!
    I get two full days with about 20% left at the end of the second day now.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    ilovemom said:

Try heroin?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 40 of 40
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    This article is a week old now. Why is it still anchored to the top of the homepage? I don’t know why it was even anchored to the top to begin with.