Waze celebrates 'Tim Cook Day,' says Apple Maps' botched launch led to success

Posted:
in General Discussion
The poor reception of Apple Maps in 2012 was a turning point for Waze, fueling enough interest in the navigation app to lead to its $1 billion acquisition by Google a year later, Waze's CEO said in a interview published on Wednesday.

Waze on App Store

"We were acquired in 2013, but 2012 was sort of a defining moment for the company. It's a day that's still celebrated today at the company every year: it's called Tim Cook day, and it's the day Apple came out with Apple Maps," Noam Bardin told Business Insider, referring to the launch of iOS 6.

"The day before I was interviewed by a not-to-be-named publication, and it doesn't really matter what I said, but the headline said 'Apple partner says Maps will be terrible'," Bardin continued. Apple was upset by the article, to the point that Bardin was worried about being fired and Waze disappearing from the App Store.

Cook came into play with an open letter published on Sept. 28, in which he promised to fix Maps and in the meantime recommended several third-party alternatives -- Waze among them.

"That was our coming-out moment in the US, and from there things start to pick up pace, eventually ending in the acquisition in 2013," Bardin commented.

Prior to iOS 6, the iOS Maps app depended largely on content and features from Google Maps. Due to growing rivalry and legal battles with Google, Apple decided to jettison Google content in favor of its own app based on several third-party data sources. The initial result was a catastrophe, with many items missing or mislabeled, in rare cases with life-threatening consequences for drivers. The app also lacked public transit directions and had poorly-rendered 3D.

Apple has since fixed most problems, and is now working toward rolling out first-party map data with improved detail. Some of this is being recorded by car and on foot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    So petty.

But Tim recommending Waze reminds me of the Alexa notification.

I'm not part of the brain-dead "fire Cook!" crowd but those 2 events are reasons to get him or someone at Apple fired.
    racerhomie3airnerd
  • Reply 2 of 41
    Apple decide to do their own maps because Google would not license turn-by-turn navigation to Apple.
    genovellemacguiairnerdStrangeDayswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 41
    I wouldn't "poke the bear". Things can still change.
    AppleExposedmac_dogairnerdwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 41
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Oops, in my revelry, I "accidentally" deleted Waze from all my devices!
    No loss, though, as Maps has greatly improved since 2012, unlike Ways.
    edited December 2018 mac_dogwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 41
    Ever since Alphabet (Goog Parent) purchase of Waze, the improvements have slowed.  Staying independent, it would have forced far more improvements due to competitive market condition.  Once you are in the Alphabet world, you are just a pebble in their their sandbox...you may move here and there, but that shift is unnoticeable in the scheme of all things Google.  

I am glad that they are celebrating Apple (Tim Cook).  I wish more companies would thank Apple for giving them the opportunity, so in the grand scheme of things, us consumers benefit with many different options, but with Alphabet purchasing Waze, the benefit will soon be irrelevant.
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Unfortunately, Waze is still better than Apple Maps for my purposes and in my area.  I get better time estimates, better directions, better warnings of hazards, more timely rerouting, and voice directions even when my radio is off.

I'll be glad when and if Apple addresses those.
    airnerd
  • Reply 7 of 41
    I wouldn't "poke the bear". Things can still change.
    My thoughts exactly. They act like Apple disappeared when in fact Maps caused the most damage to Google Maps in all their history. Waze, Here, etc. were little fish in Googles pond.

Apple actually took marketshare.

pmaster said:
    Ever since Alphabet (Goog Parent) purchase of Waze, the improvements have slowed.  Staying independent, it would have forced far more improvements due to competitive market condition.  Once you are in the Alphabet world, you are just a pebble in their their sandbox...you may move here and there, but that shift is unnoticeable in the scheme of all things Google.  

I am glad that they are celebrating Apple (Tim Cook).  I wish more companies would thank Apple for giving them the opportunity, so in the grand scheme of things, us consumers benefit with many different options, but with Alphabet purchasing Waze, the benefit will soon be irrelevant.
    They were being sarcastic and thanking Cook for his failure.
    edited December 2018 doozydozenradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 41

I'm not part of the brain-dead "fire Cook!" crowd but those 2 events are reasons to get him or someone at Apple fired.
     Scott Forstall comes to mind.

Keep in mind at the time Waze was not a great mapping app, but getting full access to the Google APIs made it so. Waze requires constant user attention, it's distracting and not a great fit for Apple's vision, but it is perfect for Google.
    wigbyAppleExposeddoozydozenradarthekatStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 41
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Unfortunately, Waze is still better than Apple Maps for my purposes and in my area.  I get better time estimates, better directions, better warnings of hazards, more timely rerouting, and voice directions even when my radio is off.

I have heard this but when put head to head with people saying this over the last year or so, the only notifications the eclipse Apple are the police warning by other users, but even those sometimes prove to be bogus. A friend and I used Apple Maps for Pizza delivery and it was point in Accurate when other drivers who had Android would use there’s because they said the phone navigation was unreliable and had at times gotten them lost. Never happened to us. 
    edited December 2018 doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 41
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member

Keep in mind at the time Waze was not a great mapping app, but getting full access to the Google APIs made it so. Waze requires constant user attention, it's distracting and not a great fit for Apple's vision, but it is perfect for Google.
    This is a good point and the reason why I tried Waze for a few hours and then bailed on it. I found Waze to be just too dangerous to fully utilize while driving. Like all Android software, there are too many tweaks, alerts and hands-on time required instead of just focusing on what users really want and need.
    edited December 2018 AppleExposedradarthekatStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 41

I meant Cook recommending rival apps is fire-worthy. That's salt to the wound.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    As a user of both Waze and Apple’s Maps, I enjoyed the jab. Competition is good.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 41
    Over in the UK my wife and I find Apple maps great, we really do 
    AppleExposedJWSCradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 41
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    Comical celebration on the part of Waze.  People use Waze do so because it is great for sniffing out cops and avoiding traffic due to its unique crowdsourcing model.  But it would never survive as standalone navigation app because it is far behind Apple and Google in that regard.   If Apple added crowdsourcing to Maps, Waze would disappear.
    edited December 2018 AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Ah, it makes so much sense now why google acquired waze. So much cultural continuity between the two with their institutionalized douchiness. Good on them. 

That said, more people need to be fired over Apple maps. Apple maps should not still be sending people to the wrong fucking continent when a very simple, generic search is entered (eg when I typed in (“cps”) it sent me to fucking Spain; I live in the US).

The ongoing failure of maps, and most of Apple’s services, in doing even the most basic tasks reliably, is an ongoing slap in the face to Apples customers. 

Whatever happened with Siri shortcuts btw? Why does Siri still completely suck, and continue to be completely obnoxious in her repetitive and stagnant “personality”, after 7 gd years in Apple’s hands?
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 16 of 41
    genovelle said:

I have heard this but when put head to head with people saying this over the last year or so, the only notifications the eclipse Apple are the police warning by other users, but even those sometimes prove to be bogus. A friend and I used Apple Maps for Pizza delivery and it was point in Accurate when other drivers who had Android would use there’s because they said the phone navigation was unreliable and had at times gotten them lost. Never happened to us. 
    Not for me.  Waze wins in all of the areas I mentioned.  Especially timely rerouting around problem areas and hazard warnings.

/s So, since your experience doesn't match mine, you must be completely wrong! /s
  • Reply 17 of 41
    patchythepirate said:
    That said, more people need to be fired over Apple maps. Apple maps should not still be sending people to the wrong fucking continent when a very simple, generic search is entered (eg when I typed in (“cps”) it sent me to fucking Spain; I live in the US).
    I agree.  I don't usually have issues with Maps but sometimes when I search for a location that is fairly close the result I get is for something similarly named but hundreds of miles from my current location. What? I've also seen people mention on this forum that when they enter their town name as a destination they get a result that's thousands of miles away and overseas. Then, when I try using their criteria I get the exact same result.  I'm not sure how that makes sense or why it would be so difficult to give me a list of results with the closest being at the top and further destinations listed in order of mileage away from me.

Whatever happened with Siri shortcuts btw? Why does Siri still completely suck, and continue to be completely obnoxious in her repetitive and stagnant “personality”, after 7 gd years in Apple’s hands?
    I use Siri every day for multiple things and almost never have an issue. I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "whatever happened with Siri Shortcuts" as I use them daily, as well. As an example, the app for our alarm system got Siri Shortcuts support and now we can arm/disarm the alarm system after we have left the house or before we arrive with a quick Siri request. It might sound like a little thing but it's nice to, say, disarm the system from the garage and not have to worry about keying in a code when I'm carrying my child and keys or groceries or whatever.  It's also nice not to hear the beeping.  It also allowed me to build a shortcut to arm the house and run our "Good night" HomeKit scene when we go to bed. Now I say "Hey Siri, Good night" and the alarm system arms, lights and stereo turn off, temps get set and some lights come on very low.  
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 41
    I use both, they recommend exactly the same routes for me (Belgium), with waze showing arrival times that are minutes to optimistic and Maps to pessimistic, so I arrive on time with Maps and sometimes not with waze. The guiding and accuracy of maps is way better, in tunnels for example especially where you have exits, apple maps is so smart it uses accelerometer and indicates perfectly where I'm in the tunnel WITHOUT GPS reception, where waze is clueless, traffic info is the same. So what do I do, I use Maps for navigation, and waze just runs in the background without navigation but just for alerts of police that is it. Graphically and lane assist on Maps is also cleaner ... Also the fact that Maps and calendar integration is perfect means I rarely enter addresses anymore, and got I love AppleCarplay, it's the best thing since sliced bread, listening to music and podcasts sending and receiving texts, and never loose track, gold!

radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 41
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,359member
    I guess being a total dick is now something CEOs view as being a desirable human trait. 
    GG1StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 41
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member

Forstall took the fall in a boardroom battle.  And it wasn’t really about Maps. Forstall was a threat to the Cook faction. He had too much Jobs in him and Cook was removing a threat.
    SpamSandwich