Apple to detail revised down Q1 2019 revenue on Jan. 29

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26

lenn said:
    HAHA. Looks like people are starting to wake up and refusing to pay these outrageous prices just to keep Cook's sky high profit margins going. At least I hope that's the case. So crazy to spend 1k or more on a damn phone!

Oh Jesus! Are we going to have the same arguments from the previous thread? 13 pages wasn't enough?
    fastasleep
  • Reply 22 of 26
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    lenn said:
    HAHA. Looks like people are starting to wake up and refusing to pay these outrageous prices just to keep Cook's sky high profit margins going. At least I hope that's the case. So crazy to spend 1k or more on a damn phone!
    The cheapest iPhone starts at $750.

Apples quarterly report will most likely be the highest of all companies.

So no, Apple is not doomed. 
    The word 'doomed' is only used by people who feel the need to 'defend' Apple at every turn. It isn't actually used by people commenting on the real situation. Apple is moving away from its absolute iPhone dependency as a revenue generator but is still dependant.

Apple says it miscalculated upgrade numbers. Some could say that is a tacit admission that new users aren't switching from Android and Apple isn't gunning for those users (80% of the handset market) but also potentially raises the question of if iOS are switching to Android phones in any great numbers. That is definitely a question for the call. Is Apple's upgrade pool shrinking?

Apple's revenues will be high but will nevertheless represent a YoY decline in revenues - right in its blowout quarter. That is very significant.

That, without stating the obvious of this warning being huge news in itself.

Attributing battery upgrades partly to the slump is disingenuous. The real question is why users preferred to upgrade three year old phones in the first place seeing as the new phones offer an enormous upgrade on every level when compared to older phones.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 26
    jakespeed said:
    Notice most assume Cook stated iPhone sales down. He didn’t. They might be, but that is not in the statement. Apple is selling more older phones than ever before. This year’s models usage are outstripping last year’s iPhone X usage at the same time last year. I think the top end is fine. The bottom end likely is too. It’s still possible to see a decrease in revenues and increase in units. I think what’s actually happening from looking at usage data and comparing to previous years is that people are buying low and high and missing the middle. Apple can fix this with an iPad mini and a mid-year low end x. 
    They adjusted revenue guidance down $5B to $7B and said it was all attributable to iPhone. There’s no way that can be the case if sales were up and the top end was fine.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 26
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member
    A crisis of our own making, handled badly. 
    Exactly.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member
    I love how everyone blamed Trump for China problem. The biggest China issue is the unfettered rip off of Apple with virtually carbon copies of iPhones being sold for pennies on Apple's dollars. Trump trying to stop the blatant theft and patent violations is Apple's only hope in China and the developing world. ... An iPhone costs more than many earn in a year. Apple succeeding in the third world was never viable.  
    China's flouting of international laws on intellectual property is the greatest obstacle to its taking a place as a trusted trade partner. The U.S. has worked on this for decades, and Mr. Only-I-Can-Fix-It has just set that relationship back by years. As for the cost of iPhones, there are more billionaires in China than any country on Earth and an exploding affluent class. A significant percentage of people there can afford iPhones if they choose to.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    “Apple has not lowered guidance for a current quarter in more than 15 years”

However you look at it, this is bad!