Hands on with the worlds first third-party USB-C to Lightning cable from Belkin

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2019
While wandering the floor at the Consumer Electronics Show, AppleInsider goes hands-on with what may be the first third-party USB-C to Lightning cable certified through Apple -- Belkin's BoostCharge USB-C to Lightning.

BoostCharge USB-C to Lightning cable
BoostCharge USB-C to Lightning cables

Belkin was the first to make its USB-C Lightning cables official during CES, with Griffin not long behind.

Of the two, Belkin seems to have the upper edge with its BoostCharge USB-C to Lightning cable. It uses a new material they've come up with called DuraTek to help protect the cable itself rather than a run of the mill nylon. It has a great, premium feel to it and is slightly thicker than normal Lightning cables to help compensate for the faster charging speeds alotted.

Each end has a long strain relief as part of the over mold to also help durability. A handy Belkin-embossed leather strap is included to help make managing the cable even easier.

They come in a variety of sizes and will start shipping this spring, selling for between $24.99 and $34.99, depending on length.

AppleInsider will be attending the Las Vegas Consumer Electronics Show starting on January 8 through January 11 where we're expecting 5G devices, HomeKit, 8K monitors and more. Keep up with our coverage by downloading the AppleInsider app, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos throughout the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Nice, but I'll wait until Monoprice starts making and selling them.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Unless that DuraTek material can stand up to my cat’s teeth, why would I pay more for a Belkin cable than an Apple one?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    therfman said:
    Unless that DuraTek material can stand up to my cat’s teeth, why would I pay more for a Belkin cable than an Apple one?
    Different lengths and more durable than Apple's offerings are probably the most common reasons people would buy a third-party cable. I doubt there's much industry that revolves around your cat.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 4 of 10
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Jokes on me.  Just order regular cable and type A to Type C conerter. 
  • Reply 5 of 10
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Why is this news?

Most nights for the past two years I've charged and synch'ed my iPhone with a USB-C to Lightning cable (Micord brand) that works great. It's even survived multiple cat attacks.
    elijahgmikal
  • Reply 6 of 10
    neilm said:
    Why is this news?
    If only there was an opening sentence answering your question. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 7 of 10
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    k2kw said:
    Jokes on me.  Just order regular cable and type A to Type C conerter. 
    Not really needed - everyone already has a standard USB-Lightning cable and odds are they have a USB C - to USB A adapter, too. The only thing this cable lets them do is get slightly faster charging times with the 30 watt USB C charger vs the 12w iPad charger that they likely already have, too.

As far as the cable goes, their assessment is a bit lacking. True, they only said hands on, but usually that means actually using the device in question. It seems that they only felt it here and report to us that it feels like a quality device. Not that there's a whole lot to report on, since it's just a cable, but still...
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 8 of 10
    neilm said:
    Why is this news?
    You do realise you aren't obliged to read the articles they post here, right??
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Soli said:
    neilm said:
    Why is this news?
    But it’s not the first. Check amazon, there are tons of them. It’s a completely bogus claim.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    mikal said:
    Soli said:
    neilm said:
    Why is this news?
    But it’s not the first. Check amazon, there are tons of them. It’s a completely bogus claim.
    So you're claiming that it's absolute not the first certified through Apple despite Apple saying it's the first one they've certified… and you're using Chinese knockoffs sold through Amazon as proof? Are you sure you don't want to add Alibaba as a source to back up your claims that Apple is lying about whom they certify? :eyeroll:
    watto_cobra