Ring camera support teams may have access to all video recorded by users [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    These is no way I would have any cloud based camera inside my house!!! I have 1 cheapo camera that is, but I don't pay for cloud service.  It does save 15 second clips of any movement which I find good enough.  It's a camera in my garage pointed at the garage door just so I can mainly see if the door is open or closed when Im not home.

I have just installed a PoE 5MP camera setup with a NVR.  I have 4 of those cameras around my house. With plans to add up to an ok that 4 in the next few months.  They're always recording.  Costs me zero per month.  Plus I can see my cameras on my iOS devices anywhere in the world with a internet connection.  My video is not on someone else's cloud server.  I have my NVR in a locked box in my garage mounted up high where you need a ladder to reach it.  It blends in with the rest of my garage anyway.   I wired my house with cat6.  Including a couple keystones in my garage to the future camera system I had planned.  One is being used and the other is a spare/backup.   I have a 48 port switch in my network closet.  It's not full. I have room to expand there if I need to.  Running.ethernet cables is not all that hard.  So running them for the camera system. Wasn't hard either.  So much simpler then a friend's 2 story house I did with 8 analog type cameras.

In alsoca growing homekit house.  So nice to see a lot of Homekit support coming.  I trust that security, not IoT devices.  The cloud I use is my own NAS. A NAS with over 18TB of storage.  I trust myself.  All these other company's, who knows what all they're doing with your data.  Also keep your personal info off of social media.  At least the bare minimum.  
  • Reply 22 of 30
    airnerdairnerd Posts: 693member
    I have always assumed that the videos my Amazon-owned Ring devices captures are not safe or secure.  That is why they all face away from the outside of my house.  That's why I don't have any other video devices in my house.  It's why none of the Amazon, Facebook, or Google devices with video cameras are in my house.  Also why none of my Samsung TV's have cameras in them.  

I have nothing to hide and no one would want to see my old white rearend, but still comes down to I don't trust anyone else with access to my personal life.  Apple I slightly trust, but no one is completely hack proof nor could they one day gain new leadership with a new direction.  This is why I don't put my stuff on the icould either.  Maybe I'm just old fashioned that way.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I have Ring cameras outside. I'd never allow one inside my house.  I just always assume whatever is visible by them is public.  I'd like to think the comments from Ring spokesperson Yassi Shahmir, were true and non-evasive, but in this day and age there is no way I'd believe the any spokesperson from any company let alone Amazon (or Google). 
    I've played around trying to set up my own cameras with RaspberryPI and it's a huge pain. I suppose I've accepted the intrusion for convenience sake.
    As long as you don’t mind them monitoring all of your comings and goings, and all of your visitors, and deliveries, etc.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    I mentioned a couple days ago that after looking closer I wasn't comfortable any longer with (Amazon)Ring's privacy policy and might take a look at replacing my Ring Pro doorbell with a Nest Hello, but that was a maybe. This latest article pretty well seals it for me. While I'm not rushing to make a change, a change will almost certainly happen. 
    Nest is owned by Google. Do you seriously believe Google’s privacy policies are any better than Amazon’s?
    Yes. Privacy controls are far more granular, permissions can be controlled more easily and thoroughly, much easier to review all the data connected to my account and best of all...
    ZERO danger of personal information being sold. ZERO danger of it being knowingly shared either without my express permission to do so. 
    Ad targeting (which uses no data from Nest supplied services anyway) comes with the territory and I'm OK with that. It can be controlled too. 
    I hope this isn’t news to anyone, but if any number of Federal agencies serves Amazon or Google with a court order to tap into your spy cams and phones, they’re going to do it. The more Internet-connected devices you have, the more vulnerable you are to spying or hacking. If you’re OK with that, well there you go.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    mac_128 said:
    I have Ring cameras outside. I'd never allow one inside my house.  I just always assume whatever is visible by them is public.  I'd like to think the comments from Ring spokesperson Yassi Shahmir, were true and non-evasive, but in this day and age there is no way I'd believe the any spokesperson from any company let alone Amazon (or Google). 
    I've played around trying to set up my own cameras with RaspberryPI and it's a huge pain. I suppose I've accepted the intrusion for convenience sake.
    As long as you don’t mind them monitoring all of your comings and goings, and all of your visitors, and deliveries, etc.
    There's no way that some person at Ring is sitting there watching you come and go. You're not that interesting I'm sure, so that would be far from any concern of mine.

For me it's more that they seem to be saying in their privacy policy that the data gathered from their Ring products can be used for purposes unrelated to monitoring your property on your behalf, including for marketing by 3rd parties and sharing of your videos with other companies outside of Ring's (Amazon's) direct control, the Ukranians for example. That some Ring engineer looked at a video stream from my doorbell is pretty much something I'd expect. There's rational reasons for having a look at recorded video, including for customer support, tho it sound like Ring has allowed ny employee m(or anyone period?) who knows your email address to have a look see. Not so good.

Sending my video feeds to a company outside of Ring for some reason is not something I would expect, nor would using any data they've suss'd from it for 3rd party marketing. That's an ongoing problem with a whole lot of companies. I accept a company's trade of this for that regarding some service I want, but then that company (like and ATT or Verizon) takes my permission to mean they can now sell my personal information to other companies that I don't have any relationship with and aren't giving me anything of value in trade. I don't have any agreement with those outside companies.

I would lump many of the credit bureau services in that category of "I didn't agree to your policies", yet neither you nor I have any say about it. 
    edited January 2019
  • Reply 26 of 30
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    I mentioned a couple days ago that after looking closer I wasn't comfortable any longer with (Amazon)Ring's privacy policy and might take a look at replacing my Ring Pro doorbell with a Nest Hello, but that was a maybe. This latest article pretty well seals it for me. While I'm not rushing to make a change, a change will almost certainly happen. 
    Nest is owned by Google. Do you seriously believe Google’s privacy policies are any better than Amazon’s?
    Yes. Privacy controls are far more granular, permissions can be controlled more easily and thoroughly, much easier to review all the data connected to my account and best of all...
    ZERO danger of personal information being sold. ZERO danger of it being knowingly shared either without my express permission to do so. 
    Ad targeting (which uses no data from Nest supplied services anyway) comes with the territory and I'm OK with that. It can be controlled too. 
    I hope this isn’t news to anyone, but if any number of Federal agencies serves Amazon or Google with a court order to tap into your spy cams and phones, they’re going to do it. The more Internet-connected devices you have, the more vulnerable you are to spying or hacking. If you’re OK with that, well there you go.
    To add to this, it was just reveal that the US carries has been selling location date from your celling phone. They claim they only been selling it to reputable companies for research and knowing where people density are located. But it turns out the data is being resold many times over and it not anonymized and has allow private individuals to track other people locations. Private detectives are using this information

Gatorguy,

He who puts all this faith in google, I will give another piece of evidence against Google mantua of they're protecting your privacy. 

Recently have been having battery life issues on my phone to the point I got Apple to replace the battery, But still having the issue, so I started looking at which apps are using battery. What came up was a surprise, Waze, yeah I use it all the time when driving so originally it did not raise a concern until over the holiday when I was at home and not using it and it was still using lots of battery life. Turn out all the privacy items were enable see what was on my phone and location services was  turned on all the time. I can tell you I have all my apps to only use locations service when I am using the app. I also know that Waze was set up not to do any background tasks. The battery issue showed up right after a software update for WAZE last month. Turns out WAZE when they update the app reset all the privacy setting so they could see everything going on with my phone including my location all the time and it was running background tasks 50min of every hour no wonder my battery was not lasting. Turn them back off and now my battery life is back to normal. Google owns Waze and obviously Google is not controlling companies they own or they allowing to make these changes without users knowing.

I would advise other to check their privacy setting on Waze to make sure it is not looking was your phone.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 27 of 30
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    maestro64 said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    To add to this, it was just reveal that the US carries has been selling location date from your celling phone. They claim they only been selling it to reputable companies for research and knowing where people density are located. But it turns out the data is being resold many times over and it not anonymized and has allow private individuals to track other people locations. Private detectives are using this information

Gatorguy,

He who puts all this faith in google, I will give another piece of evidence against Google mantua of they're protecting your privacy. 

Recently have been having battery life issues on my phone to the point I got Apple to replace the battery, But still having the issue, so I started looking at which apps are using battery. What came up was a surprise, Waze, yeah I use it all the time when driving so originally it did not raise a concern until over the holiday when I was at home and not using it and it was still using lots of battery life. Turn out all the privacy items were enable see what was on my phone and location services was  turned on all the time. I can tell you I have all my apps to only use locations service when I am using the app. I also know that Waze was set up not to do any background tasks. The battery issue showed up right after a software update for WAZE last month. Turns out WAZE when they update the app reset all the privacy setting so they could see everything going on with my phone including my location all the time and it was running background tasks 50min of every hour no wonder my battery was not lasting. Turn them back off and now my battery life is back to normal. Google owns Waze and obviously Google is not controlling companies they own or they allowing to make these changes without users knowing.

I would advise other to check their privacy setting on Waze to make sure it is not looking was your phone.
    I’m looking forward to Google leaking some private personal video so I can sue them. The amount of money I could potentially get for violating my privacy is worth any potential embarrassment ... ;-)
  • Reply 28 of 30
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I have Ring video cameras on the outside of my house. I don’t care if the developers can view the videos.
    Not a single shit is given. There is nothing interesting to see, they can’t get my personal details from the videos and I don’t walk around naked in front of my outdoor cameras.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    evilution said:
    I have Ring video cameras on the outside of my house. I don’t care if the developers can view the videos.
    Not a single shit is given. There is nothing interesting to see, they can’t get my personal details from the videos and I don’t walk around naked in front of my outdoor cameras.
    Another person who missed the point, it is about the principle and maybe your life is boring and uneventful, however, that does not apply to everyone. 

However, if you don't care this much about your privacy how about you share all your UID and PW i would like to see how boring your life really is.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    maestro64 said:
    evilution said:
    Another person who missed the point, it is about the principle and maybe your life is boring and uneventful, however, that does not apply to everyone. 

However, if you don't care this much about your privacy how about you share all your UID and PW i would like to see how boring your life really is.
    You and others might have missed the article update. AppleInsider apparently contacted Amazon and was advised employees did not have access to live feeds.