Rumor: 2019 iPhone to sport 3x telephoto lens, 4,000mAh battery with 15W wireless charging...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    mike1 said:
    MplsP said:
    mike1 said:
    welshdog said:
    Why not offer a high capacity battery version of each model? Jony Ive could still be happy with the super skinny, standard battery models and could just avert his eyes from the thicker, big battery versions. Now that Apple actually seems concerned about flagging sales, this would be an easy way to get a boost. Let's face it, most iPhone users don't care much about anything but runtime. It's certainly the biggest source of frustration with all phone users, regardless of brand.
    Indeed. I just returned from a 10-day trip to an exotic foreign land that was hyper-photogenic. Using my new XS, taking 200 photos a day, plus a couple of short videos, also sent a few texts and emails, browsing the internet for news for maybe 20 minutes. Starting at 7 AM, by 3-4 PM the battery was below 10%. Had to rely on my Anker back-up battery to make it thru dinner. Photos are superb quality, battery life not so much. In this regard, the XS is no better than any iPhone I've owned and I've owned many going back to the first. Disappointing. 
    Oh please. You cite a short-term extreme use case and are disappointed that you had to use an external battery for part of the day. How's it working the other 355 days of the year? The battery life you complain about is more than enough for almost all customers almost all of the time.
    I took a vacation on an unnamed pacific island with my Xs, was taking pictures all day, doing some surfing and miscellaneous other use and never had my battery go below 50%.
    Same for me during my 9-day vacation last year.
    Yeah, it’s eye-rolling. Pretty much everyone uses their phone to take pictures while on vacation and it doesn’t matter where or for how long. Last summer we were at the beach. I was taking photos and videos every day, frequently using my phone to control my drone, putting my phone on a tripod to get a 20 minute time-lapse of the sunrise, etc., and of course texting and going online and all the other normal things I do. I didn’t have battery concerns. 

Clearly people likely won’t complain about longer battery life, but for most people the current batteries last long enough. 

I have to to laugh at the posters saying 15w is last year’s tech when just a couple of days ago  those same posters were talking about how most people carry a cable and maybe a charger with them everywhere anyway. 
    Wireless and wired charging are not exclusive of each other. Wireless charging is a convenience over wired charging. No one in their right mind would pack a suitcase and leave their wired charger at home. That is for very clear reasons.

That said, their are convenience reasons to using wireless charging that sometimes come into play, most notably overnight charging and in car use.

However, large battery capacity plus fast charging push wireless charging very much into the background in daily use situations.

Whatever the iPhone 2019 ships with, it would be far better if those specs were 'current'. Let's not forget the the XS Max ships with a 5W wired charger which frankly is a disgrace.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 22
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    avon b7 said:
    mike1 said:
    MplsP said:
    mike1 said:
    welshdog said:
    Why not offer a high capacity battery version of each model? Jony Ive could still be happy with the super skinny, standard battery models and could just avert his eyes from the thicker, big battery versions. Now that Apple actually seems concerned about flagging sales, this would be an easy way to get a boost. Let's face it, most iPhone users don't care much about anything but runtime. It's certainly the biggest source of frustration with all phone users, regardless of brand.
    Indeed. I just returned from a 10-day trip to an exotic foreign land that was hyper-photogenic. Using my new XS, taking 200 photos a day, plus a couple of short videos, also sent a few texts and emails, browsing the internet for news for maybe 20 minutes. Starting at 7 AM, by 3-4 PM the battery was below 10%. Had to rely on my Anker back-up battery to make it thru dinner. Photos are superb quality, battery life not so much. In this regard, the XS is no better than any iPhone I've owned and I've owned many going back to the first. Disappointing. 
    Oh please. You cite a short-term extreme use case and are disappointed that you had to use an external battery for part of the day. How's it working the other 355 days of the year? The battery life you complain about is more than enough for almost all customers almost all of the time.
    I took a vacation on an unnamed pacific island with my Xs, was taking pictures all day, doing some surfing and miscellaneous other use and never had my battery go below 50%.
    Same for me during my 9-day vacation last year.
    Yeah, it’s eye-rolling. Pretty much everyone uses their phone to take pictures while on vacation and it doesn’t matter where or for how long. Last summer we were at the beach. I was taking photos and videos every day, frequently using my phone to control my drone, putting my phone on a tripod to get a 20 minute time-lapse of the sunrise, etc., and of course texting and going online and all the other normal things I do. I didn’t have battery concerns. 

Clearly people likely won’t complain about longer battery life, but for most people the current batteries last long enough. 

I have to to laugh at the posters saying 15w is last year’s tech when just a couple of days ago  those same posters were talking about how most people carry a cable and maybe a charger with them everywhere anyway. 
    Wireless and wired charging are not exclusive of each other. Wireless charging is a convenience over wired charging. No one in their right mind would pack a suitcase and leave their wired charger at home. That is for very clear reasons.

That said, their are convenience reasons to using wireless charging that sometimes come into play, most notably overnight charging and in car use.

However, large battery capacity plus fast charging push wireless charging very much into the background in daily use situations.

Whatever the iPhone 2019 ships with, it would be far better if those specs were 'current'. Let's not forget the the XS Max ships with a 5W wired charger which frankly is a disgrace.
    Totally agree with everything you said - the 5w charger is something akin to a trickle charger for the Xs max.

The large batteries and fast charging would be a big reason for Apple to switch to USB C ports. Hopefully they don't switch to USB C and included a USB C-USB A cable with a 5W charger!
    muthuk_vanalingam