YouTube TV goes nationwide in time for Super Bowl, but some markets missing channels

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 23
Live streaming service YouTube TV is now officially available across the U.S., though some small gaps remain and other regions may lack access to one or more of the four major broadcasters.

YouTube TV


The service should be accessible by 98 percent of Americans, YouTube said in an announcement, promising that the remaining 2 percent will come onboard shortly. Prior to this week YouTube TV was already in the country's "top 100" markets, but another 95 have been added.

The expansion is presumably geared towards becoming a destination for this year's NFL Super Bowl, scheduled for Feb. 3. The game is one of the few remaining TV "events" in a world of on-demand streaming, attracting tens of millions of viewers and even more in advertiser dollars. Some Americans will even buy new TVs in prepartion for gameday parties.

Parts of YouTube's coverage map lack ABC, Fox, and/or NBC, The Verge commented. That won't interfere with the Super Bowl, which is on CBS, but one of the selling points of YouTube TV has been access to the "Big Four" broadcasters, something other streaming TV options can't always offer.

Other features of the service include an unlimited cloud DVR and support for up to 6 accounts per household. It currently costs $40 per month after a free trial, with add-on packages for channels like Showtime and AMC Premiere. Conspicuously absent though is HBO, along with Viacom channels such as Comedy Central.

Supported Apple devices include Macs, iPhones, iPads, and Apple TVs.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 7
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 2,226member
    SuperBowl*
  • Reply 2 of 7
    really frustrating, my market is in the top 100 and is not available yet
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Supposedly been added but sign up still says no go but it's all good was only gonna check out the free trial happy with tablo/directv now. 
  • Reply 4 of 7
    $40 a month...? Seriously?? That's on top of ISP costs too. My cable ISP's response to the killing of net neutrality so far? Metering. In a time of increased streaming, they're adding caps. Now, we have data limits and overage fees on all accounts. My 'standard' $60/mo tier provided moderate speeds and 300GB a month. Between software upgrades/downloads, Netflix/Prime streaming, Apple Music streaming, online gaming and daily browsing, I exceeded that every month for the past three months. It really wasn't hard to do. Now they are forcing me to move up a tier as a result. $100/mo. Hopefully the 500GB/mo it comes with is enough. I could add another $40/mo for 'youtube TV', put more stress on my data cap and my wallet, but why...?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 194member
    I have YTTV and it is generally OK but see peering issues on some live sports events. The iOS app also needs work- it does not remember streaming settings on iOS when you change channels.
    It lacks BBC World News, Bloomberg, CNN international and HBO. Do not care about the missing Viacom channels.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,105member
    $40 a month...? Seriously?? That's on top of ISP costs too. My cable ISP's response to the killing of net neutrality so far? Metering. In a time of increased streaming, they're adding caps. Now, we have data limits and overage fees on all accounts. My 'standard' $60/mo tier provided moderate speeds and 300GB a month. Between software upgrades/downloads, Netflix/Prime streaming, Apple Music streaming, online gaming and daily browsing, I exceeded that every month for the past three months. It really wasn't hard to do. Now they are forcing me to move up a tier as a result. $100/mo. Hopefully the 500GB/mo it comes with is enough. I could add another $40/mo for 'youtube TV', put more stress on my data cap and my wallet, but why...?
    I think most ISP's always had a data cap well before the end of net neutrality. When I was on Comcast, my data cap was 1TB and this was several years ago. 
  • Reply 7 of 7
    davgreg said:
    I have YTTV and it is generally OK but see peering issues on some live sports events. The iOS app also needs work- it does not remember streaming settings on iOS when you change channels.
    It lacks BBC World News, Bloomberg, CNN international and HBO. Do not care about the missing Viacom channels.

    Same, I really like Youtube tv, for me it works better than Directv now/sling/PS  and I get the stations I want, but on the Apple Tv it keeps kicking my resolution down to 240p.  I can manually force it back to 1080(or 720 if thats the max on the station), but its a reoccurring issue. I put a ticket in with Youtube and was told this is a known issue, so hopefully some of these problems on iOS/TV OS get cleaned up
Sign In or Register to comment.