Apple to simplify Safari AutoFill with Touch ID support in macOS 10.14.4

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2020
According to a new Settings menu option in Apple's macOS 10.14.4 beta release, the upcoming Mac operating system will allow users to complete Safari AutoFill operations with Touch ID on systems that support the authentication hardware.

Source: iMore

Discovered by iMore, the forthcoming feature streamlines the Safari AutoFill process, which lets users automatically fill in web forms with stored credentials and information.

Currently, the AutoFill mechanic in macOS Mojave requires users to click on a text box or field and select corresponding credit card, user name, contact, password or other information from an AutoFill dropdown menu. Alternatively, Mac presents AutoFill suggestions when users begin to fill out a form with information that coincides with credentials stored in Keychain.

With macOS 10.14.4, owners of MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models with Touch ID can automatically fill out forms by selecting a text box and placing their finger on the Touch ID power button.

The feature not only simplifies the AutoFill process, but makes it more secure by requiring Touch ID authentication for passwords and other sensitive information. Further refinements and data management options can be accessed in Safari preferences.

To activate the new Touch ID function, navigate to System Preferences > Touch ID and click on the Safari AutoFill button. When Touch ID for Safari AutoFill is switched on, users will see a new Touch ID option at the top of Safari's usual AutoFill dropdown menu.

Apple issued the first developer beta of macOS 10.14.4 on Thursday alongside evaluation versions of iOS 12.2, watchOS 5.2 and tvOS 12.1.2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    For users of macs without Touch ID, I hope a similar feature is extended to wearers of the Apple Watch (in much the same way that Apple Pay is extended to the watch.)
    edited January 2019 libertyforallcaladanianburnsidewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    YAWN!  How about FaceID on Mac?  How about GROUPED NOTIFICATIONS on Mac, like on iOS!!!!
    caladanian
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Face ID needs to come to the Mac yesterday. Fumbling for the power button location doesn’t need any more new use cases. Touch ID just isn’t a good experience on the Mac.  Your hands are already resting on a physical keyboard. Unless you have a really complicated password, it’s almost always more convenient to just type it in. Only Face ID would be superior to this, as it would authenticate before you even realize you need to. 
    lostkiwiwilliamlondonburnside
  • Reply 4 of 11
    swat671swat671 Posts: 150member
    Face ID needs to come to the Mac yesterday. Fumbling for the power button location doesn’t need any more new use cases. Touch ID just isn’t a good experience on the Mac.  Your hands are already resting on a physical keyboard. Unless you have a really complicated password, it’s almost always more convenient to just type it in. Only Face ID would be superior to this, as it would authenticate before you even realize you need to. 
    Uh, I LOVE the touchID. FaceID on the Mac? Pass!

I'm running the Safari Tech Preview, and this has been available for a couple months now. I’ve been loving it! So easy! 
    rotateleftbytewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 1,989member
    If you are still using passwords that are easier to type than moving your finger three inches over to the fingerprint sensor, you’re doing it wrong. 
    edited January 2019 wlymwilliamlondonroundaboutnowcaladanianburnsidemazda 3swatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Or you could just use 1Password and let it autofill. Not really that hard to press Command \ to let it autofill. I guess it would be nice to have either TouchID and/or FaceID to authenticate 1Password first, but I'm not really all that lazy like most folks seem to be these days. 
    edited January 2019 burnsideiOS_Guy80watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Currently sporting a 2017 rose gold MacBook. It is one Apple's most beautiful, elegant designs.

Bought it mainly for the weight factor. (Mobile devices should be thin, small and light.) 

Would love to have TouchID on it. But will have to wait for the next iteration. Along with smaller bezels, larger trackpad, etc. 

Since I wear an AppleWatch, I've tried setting it up to open my MacBook. But sometimes it's seems a bit slow. I should try it again to see if it's better.

Alas, this will probably be the last MacOS device I will ever buy. I'll be going all in with iOS, should anything happen to my MacBook! :)
    williamlondoniOS_Guy80watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    As productive and powerful as Mac and the OS is, iOS has it all and more to come.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    The iPad Pro 12.9” 512 GB has become my new computer. iPhone XS Max my new tablet. AirPods best accessory. The new Mophie PD power pack keeps them running all day while on the go.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    AppleZulu said:
    If you are still using passwords that are easier to type than moving your finger three inches over to the fingerprint sensor, you’re doing it wrong. 
    BINGO!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    swat671 said:
    Uh, I LOVE the touchID. FaceID on the Mac? Pass!

I'm running the Safari Tech Preview, and this has been available for a couple months now. I’ve been loving it! So easy! 
    Have you used FaceID? I recently upgraded my 6s to an Xs and FaceID is incredibly fast, reliable and seamless. Touch ID was very good, but FaceID has it beat, IMO.
    macxpress said:
    Or you could just use 1Password and let it autofill. Not really that hard to press Command \ to let it autofill. I guess it would be nice to have either TouchID and/or FaceID to authenticate 1Password first, but I'm not really all that lazy like most folks seem to be these days. 
    Absolutely. Even better, with the integration now allowed in iOS, OnePassword and FaceID make an incredibly smooth and easy combination.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra