Apple got tablets right, and created a whole new market with the iPad 12 years ago today

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 83
    As a die-hard Apple geek, of course I had a day-one iPad. But it turns out it its killer application for me was iBooks, as a devoted reader.

The first-generation iPad was... usable... as an e-reader. Until the third-generation device with the Retina Display arrived, it wasn't great. But it showed the promise, and it enabled instant gratification... a powerful thing when you tear through books quickly and need that next great read at 12:30 a.m., even more so if you live someplace where the nearest bookstore is an hour round-trip...

Until the iPad, I never thought I'd prefer a device over a physical book. But now, when I read a physical book, I'm constantly annoyed that I can't long-press on an unfamiliar word to get the Oxford Dictionary definition. If I read about a concept I want to explore, I can't slide-over Wikipedia and look it up. The iPad enables the kind of reading-in-depth that my teachers wanted me to aspire to, back in the day... when it meant reading with a dictionary and an encyclopedia in the bookcase next to you.

There's three ways I wish the iPad would improve:
    1. I wish I had more control over what could run in the background and for how long. I know Apple wants to prioritize ease-of-use and battery life... but I wish I could use it for an occasional SSH terminal connection without having to worry about timeouts if I switch apps.
    2. Apple is 95% of the way there on multi-touch not picking up your hand holding the iPad's newer, thinner bezels as a touch; they need to close up that last 5%, so that Books stops turning pages when you adjust your grip.
    3. A longer-lasting oleophobic coating... or something else to reduce the way finger oils build up on the screen more and more as the device ages. (The $20 cleaning cloth doesn't count... unless they figure out how to make it machine-washable, as part of a regular laundry load.)

• Reply 82 of 83
    Apple started the whole thing with the Newton. 

A whole much of crap followed. Palm pilots snd pocket PCs. All sucked. 

Then the Amazon kindle came out and was decent at one thing only: reading ebooks. But it too sucked with clunky hardware and nasty looking screens. 

Prior to that, years of rumors said that Apple was looking to revive the Newton. 

Then the iPhone came out snd reinvented the smartphone. 

That has the prerequisite tech to fuel a true Newton follow up with multitouch screen tech. Boom. The iPad was born. 

Many copycats followed but they all sucked and failed in comparison. 

The iPad rules the segment.