Apple manufacturing partner expecting 'iPad mini 5' orders soon

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2019
Compal Electronics is expanding manufacturing in China, Taiwan, and Vietnam, and sources close to the company are expecting build orders for the "iPad mini 5" to grow revenue later in 2019.

The fourth-generation iPad mini
The fourth-generation iPad mini

Company president C.P. Wong told investors at a press conference that the fortunes of the company were growing. The executive told investors that the company was expecting double-digit growth in 2019 in "non-PC" shipments, meaning iPads and similar devices.

Amplifying this information is DigiTimes, correctly stating that Compal is generating a lot of income now from iPad production, and Apple Watch fabrication. The publication then goes on to cite sources familiar with the matter claiming that the company itself is expecting this revenue and shipment growth from the new iPad mini refresh that is allegedly in the works at Apple.

While DigiTimes has a notoriously poor track record at predicting Apple's specific plans or features, it is a good source of data on the manufacturing business. While Compal may be expecting this business, it remains uncertain if it is expecting it for a reason, or if it is hearing other reports, and predicting that Apple will tap it for manufacturing of a device.

Little has been speculated about the new iPad mini, beyond Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard support. It is expected to be a new low-priced model compared to the more recent release. If launched, it would be the first update to the product line in over three years.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Reasonably priced iPad Mini has important place in iPad product line. It has good form factor and usability. Next important one is 11" iPad.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Hopefully a good update and decently priced. I love my Mini 2 but had to get a 9.7" Pro as it's processor is dated. Love the smaller form factor for travel, reading etc. 
  • Reply 3 of 9
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,621member
    Keeping my fingers crossed.

The Mini 2 still serves all my needs but it would be nice to see the line continue (with a decent upgrade) for when mine gives up the ghost.
    muthuk_vanalingamMisterKit
  • Reply 4 of 9
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    I like and use my original iPad mini. I'll buy a new one depending on the price. I have a long list of things that require upgrades/replacements, but as Tim pointed out a few days ago, people like me don't need upgrades as often, because the originals still function well. 
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Hey, at this point i will take any update to replace my 5 1/2 yr old ipad mini 2! But if i had my wish? I’d love the next ipad mini to have the same flat edged industrial design of the new ipad pros with slimmer bezels, face ID, usb-c and apple pencil 2 support. Maybe even increase the 7.9” screen size to 8.5” but keep the same physical size as the previous ipad minis. Either that or keep the 7.9” screen but make the device smaller with the slimmer bezels. Either way, that would be one sweet update!
    edited January 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    Was at Apple Store (yes, I still use the term Angela & Tim) Saddle Creek yesterday and all the staff were using iPad minis. I was teasing the staffers that they were using Apple's oldest and most outdated HW.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
     Thinner bezels, maybe
    + teeny tiny increase in display size, maybe
    + Improved CPU
    + Improved graphics, maybe
    + No FID
    + Inferior screen compared to mini 4
    + Pencil support
    + 2G RAM
    + slightly different size so previous case won't fit
    + no earphone jack
    + no USB-C________________________________
    = budget iPad mini

Go ahead, Tim. Prove me wrong. I dare ya. I double-dog dare ya!

• Reply 8 of 9
    Mr.DudeJeff104Mr.DudeJeff104 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    The ipad mini 5 will be coming out in late April to Middle May