AT&T & Verizon 5G rollouts stall, reinforce claims that tech not coming to iPhone until 20...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    genovelle said:
    wood1208 said:
    Getting consistent LTE coverage in my suburban area is a big plus. Let's talk 5G in 2021/22. It's not child's play. We know, it takes few years for a tech like 5G to roll out for sufficient coverage in places where many live and work. So, what's point of paying for tech in Phones or tablets or computers when you can't use it ?

There is no point 
    Its like buying 4k tv but no over the air tv broadcast....just so you can brag you have 4k capable tv
    You can play iPhone 4k video on it. 
  • Reply 22 of 39
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    melgross said:
    What have some of us been saying for months? There’s no rush on this. Qualcomm’s modem is a battery buster even when not in active use. It’s also huge. 2020 is the earliest we should expect anything at all. Even then it’s almost nothing. 2025 is when it will get interesting.
    +1000

I know it won't happen, but I'd like the option to buy a 2020 or 2021 iPhone WITHOUT 5G hardware in it. Hell, I still fall back to EDGE in some parts of the (developed) world.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    MplsP said:
    All the rationalization excusing Apple for a product that will be obsolete the day it is released.

Could this be why all the politicized hoopla over Huawei?   Apparently they are the only ones who can do 5g right.
    If 5G is that important to you and you want to get a Huawei phone, you’re welcome to. Otherwise, could you please explain how a phone without 5G would be obsolete just because it doesn’t work in a few corners of New York and San Francisco that actually do have 5G, as well as what you actually *need* 5G for? 
    A phone is a multi-year investment.   Looking at it any other way is foolish.   So, a phone lacking an important feature is quickly obsolete.

As for your crack about "get a Huawei phone", that is being ruled out by the politicians trying to protect less competent American manufacturers.  And besides, why would I want to pay $1,000-$1,500 for a phone lacking an important feature -- and one that will become increasingly important as time goes on.

As for your "What do you Need 5G for?".   If you have to ask, you probably wouldn't understand the answer.  But, let me ask you:  "What do you need LTE for?  You can do everything you need with 3G"

I admire your loyalty to Apple.   But, increasingly it is looking like the only reason Apple will not have a 5G phone is  because Qualcomm no longer will do business with them and they are not allowed to do business with Huawei.   Those are not good reasons for their customers to accept a 2nd rate product.

It would be better for Apple and its customers if they delayed the September release till they could do it right, rather than putting out a 2nd rate phone.
    avon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 39
    All the rationalization excusing Apple for a product that will be obsolete the day it is released.

Could this be why all the politicized hoopla over Huawei?   Apparently they are the only ones who can do 5g right.
    So you want Apple to release vaporware?

You want hardware from a shadier company than Samsung?  That’s pretty shady. 

So if only one company can do it and they have been accused of lying, either they are lying or the rest of the market is just that bad, or, the technology isn’t there yet.

Hmmmm I wonder which one it is?

None of the above.   All false choices.
  • Reply 25 of 39
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    MplsP said:

If 5G is that important to you and you want to get a Huawei phone, you’re welcome to. Otherwise, could you please explain how a phone without 5G would be obsolete just because it doesn’t work in a few corners of New York and San Francisco that actually do have 5G, as well as what you actually *need* 5G for? 
    A phone is a multi-year investment.   Looking at it any other way is foolish.   So, a phone lacking an important feature is quickly obsolete.

As for your crack about "get a Huawei phone", that is being ruled out by the politicians trying to protect less competent American manufacturers.  And besides, why would I want to pay $1,000-$1,500 for a phone lacking an important feature -- and one that will become increasingly important as time goes on.

As for your "What do you Need 5G for?".   If you have to ask, you probably wouldn't understand the answer.  But, let me ask you:  "What do you need LTE for?  You can do everything you need with 3G"

I admire your loyalty to Apple.   But, increasingly it is looking like the only reason Apple will not have a 5G phone is  because Qualcomm no longer will do business with them and they are not allowed to do business with Huawei.   Those are not good reasons for their customers to accept a 2nd rate product.

It would be better for Apple and its customers if they delayed the September release till they could do it right, rather than putting out a 2nd rate phone.
    In terms of practical use, there is a big difference between the jump from 3G to 4G and that from 4G to 5G, so that comparison doesn’t make sense.

Yes, phones are a multi-year investment, but look at when there will realistically be widespread availability - probably not until 2022 at the earliest. And then look at when there will be widespread services that actuallly require 5G (still waiting to hear what those are, by the way.) You have yet to make a case for any real world impact that delaying 5G capabilities will have. Apple did the same thing with 3G and 4G. They waited for chips to mature and become more efficient. The current generation of 5G chips are essentially 1st gen chips, so waiting makes sense, IMO.

I know full well that I won’t use 5G. I was asking what about it makes you so worried that any phone without it will be worthless. The fact that you are either unwilling or unable to explain why 5G is necessary instead of attacking me for not wanting it makes it seem like you really don’t have a need.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

Nobody is doing 5G “right”. There is no 5G.
    MplsP
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Nsummy said:
    Its funny reading this echo chamber of everyone reassuring themselves that Apple is somehow making a shrewd and calculated move by holding off on implementing 5G.  Lets be honest, the only reason it will take them longer than anyone else is because they are using subpar Intel modems.  As the article states, ATT already has it in 12 cities with a nationwide rollout by early 2020.  Verizon, at the end of 2019. Meanwhile its already rolling out in Asia.  While it may not be a big deal in 2019 to not have 5G, waiting until the end of 2020 sure is a long time to wait, especially considering iphone sales are in the gutter while Apple increasingly charges more for a product diminishing in technology.  Of course in all of this there is the assumption that Intel will even be capable of producing a decent 5g modem.  They have already scrapped their first chip and are starting on their 2nd.
    That’s nonsense. AT&T has it nowhere. They, and Verizon just admitted that what they’re trying to sell isn’t really 5G. And as for the availability of what they do have, it’s just in tiny areas in those places.

qualcomm’s first 5G modem is crap, just as the first 4G modem was. It’s about as large as their SoC, and consumes almost as much power. Phone manufacturers that have spoken about 5G now, are saying that it will cost a minimum of $150 extra to do it the cheap way, and up to $300 to do it the right way. Wow, that sounds worthwhile with no real service expected for several years from now.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3336119/mobile-wireless/5g-or-faux-g.html

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3310067/mobile-wireless/why-5g-will-disappoint-everyone.html

There are are a lot more article like those two out there by people in the industry.

• Reply 28 of 39
    MplsP said:

That’s nonsense, and you know it. You obviously know nothing about 5G issues.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    melgross said:

Nobody is doing 5G “right”. There is no 5G.
    Well, AT&T has '5G E' that's a kind of 5G!  :D

Actually, there was a story about someone (maybe Verizon) setting up a 5G hotspot as a demo somewhere and when someone tested it, it was actually slower than the maximum 4G speeds.
    edited February 2019
  • Reply 30 of 39
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:

In terms of practical use, there is a big difference between the jump from 3G to 4G and that from 4G to 5G, so that comparison doesn’t make sense.

Yes, phones are a multi-year investment, but look at when there will realistically be widespread availability - probably not until 2022 at the earliest. And then look at when there will be widespread services that actuallly require 5G (still waiting to hear what those are, by the way.) You have yet to make a case for any real world impact that delaying 5G capabilities will have. Apple did the same thing with 3G and 4G. They waited for chips to mature and become more efficient. The current generation of 5G chips are essentially 1st gen chips, so waiting makes sense, IMO.

I know full well that I won’t use 5G. I was asking what about it makes you so worried that any phone without it will be worthless. The fact that you are either unwilling or unable to explain why 5G is necessary instead of attacking me for not wanting it makes it seem like you really don’t have a need.
    Your obvious lack of knowledge does not excuse Apple for being unable -- due to business and political constraints -- for selling high end phones with obsolete technology.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    melgross said:
    MplsP said:

That’s nonsense, and you know it. You obviously know nothing about 5G issues capabilities.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    MplsP said:
    melgross said:
    What have some of us been saying for months? There’s no rush on this. Qualcomm’s modem is a battery buster even when not in active use. It’s also huge. 2020 is the earliest we should expect anything at all. Even then it’s almost nothing. 2025 is when it will get interesting.
    Exactly.

And I'm still waiting for someone to explain exactly how this will make my iPhone better. Everyone gushes about increased speeds, but decent LTE speed is plenty fast enough for anything you use a cell phone for. The frequencies actually have less ability to penetrate buildings, so it won't improve reception. If someone has some real world use that requires 5G, could they please speak up? 
    Doing no more than futurist speculating, I would think that the inevitable wearable displays (i.e., Apple’s i-Glasses, etc.), which would require real-time stereo video, plus stereo mapping of Augmented Reality applied in real time as well — this sort of display system is going to require enormous bandwidth for many people to be walking around spacing out on their new view of the world at the same time.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:

Your obvious lack of knowledge does not excuse Apple for being unable -- due to business and political constraints -- for selling high end phones with obsolete technology.
    At this point you have completely refused/failed to actually justify anything you have said. Since all you can do is insult others for questioning, claiming they are ignorant for not knowing what you refuse to say I can only assume that you are also ignorant and there is no point in attempting to have a discussion.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:

At this point you have completely refused/failed to actually justify anything you have said. Since all you can do is insult others for questioning, claiming they are ignorant for not knowing what you refuse to say I can only assume that you are also ignorant and there is no point in attempting to have a discussion.
    Sorry, you need to do your own research.   It's not my job to educate you.  

And, the fact that you "won't use 5G" doesn't mean that other people won't.   And too, waiting for it to be nationwide coverage will not sit well with the bulk of the nation's population who won't have to wait.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 35 of 39
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    5G is an umbrella name for many things.

There are comments here that are very US focused but obviously 5G deployment will vary from market to market depending on the technology available. The US is late in many regards to 5G. So late that the president even considered the idea of trying to cook up a 5G just for the US and I'm not even sure that idea has been completely shelved yet. The US is trying to thwart competitors while it tries to catch up.

So what about those competitors?

China has recently stated that it will accelerate 5G deployments even faster than originally planned and is offering incentives to businesses that jump on board with 5G roll out plans.

Qualcomm has said it has agreements that will see its X50 modem used on thirty phones (mostly Chinese) this year.

The ball is definitely moving.

On an individual level, handset users will have to try and factor carrier rollout plans for their countries into their own upgrade plans.

Huawei announced last week a complete solution from mast heads, antennas, the Tiangang chipset (with NSA, SA and V2X support), modems (multimode Balong 5000) and its first commercial CPE device. The roll out will be detailed at MWC but most (or none) of that technology will ever see the light of day in the US. Huawei even had a light hearted jab at AT&T claiming that if 5Ge was really 5G then Huawei's last generation technology had been deploying it worldwide for the last two years!

Of course China (among others) will pick up the ball and run and this is the important bit - what you do with the technology and the experience you gain from it.

China clearly thinks that 5G will power an industrial revolution of sorts and wants its companies to lead it.

The faster the network infrastructure is laid out the faster they can put it to good use both on an industrial level and on a domestic level.

Of course, the first consumers to see this will be in areas with the highest populations. AFAIK, frequencies have already been auctioned and reserved for 5G in almost all countries planning to deploy it.

Being late to market in this case could have dire consequences. At the very least people might hold off on iPhone upgrades if there is no 5G iPhone this year. If there isn't a 2019 iPhone 5G option, there will be almost two years of watching the industry implement 5G and deploy solutions for it.

I'm sure that if Apple had access to a 5G modem today it would ship it in 2019 - independently of the state of 5G in the US because if (and perhaps it's a big if) 5G sees a major roll out in China, the iPhone will be at a huge disadvantage.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 36 of 39
    avon b7 said:

There are comments here that are very US focused but obviously 5G deployment will vary from market to market depending on the technology available. The US is late in many regards to 5G. So late that the president even considered the idea of trying to cook up a 5G just for the US and I'm not even sure that idea has been completely shelved yet. The US is trying to thwart competitors while it tries to catch up.

China has recently stated that it will accelerate 5G deployments even faster than originally planned and is offering incentives to businesses that jump on board with 5G roll out plans.

Qualcomm has said it has agreements that will see its X50 modem used on thirty phones (mostly Chinese) this year.

On an individual level, handset users will have to try and factor carrier rollout plans for their countries into their own upgrade plans.

Huawei announced last week a complete solution from mast heads, antennas, the Tiangang chipset (with NSA, SA and V2X support), modems (multimode Balong 5000) and its first commercial CPE device. The roll out will be detailed at MWC but most (or none) of that technology will ever see the light of day in the US. Huawei even had a light hearted jab at AT&T claiming that if 5Ge was really 5G then Huawei's last generation technology had been deploying it worldwide for the last two years!

Of course China (among others) will pick up the ball and run and this is the important bit - what you do with the technology and the experience you gain from it.

China clearly thinks that 5G will power an industrial revolution of sorts and wants its companies to lead it.

The faster the network infrastructure is laid out the faster they can put it to good use both on an industrial level and on a domestic level.

Of course, the first consumers to see this will be in areas with the highest populations. AFAIK, frequencies have already been auctioned and reserved for 5G in almost all countries planning to deploy it.

Being late to market in this case could have dire consequences. At the very least people might hold off on iPhone upgrades if there is no 5G iPhone this year. If there isn't a 2019 iPhone 5G option, there will be almost two years of watching the industry implement 5G and deploy solutions for it.

I'm sure that if Apple had access to a 5G modem today it would ship it in 2019 - independently of the state of 5G in the US because if (and perhaps it's a big if) 5G sees a major roll out in China, the iPhone will be at a huge disadvantage.
    Thank you!   That was good information and true.

Apple is not delaying 5G for technical reasons but for business reasons (as in their squabbles with Qualcomm) and for political reasons (as in the U.S. squabbles with Huawei).   And, that is to the detriment of Apple's customers and the U.S. as a whole as we will lag behind in technology and the advantages that it can bring.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    melgross said:
    MplsP said:

That’s nonsense, and you know it. You obviously know nothing about 5G issues capabilities.
    Oh my, very cute. But so far, what you say goes against what the experts have been saying. I posted a coup,e of links earlier. So just keep fooling yourself. I suppose that you’re one of these who think that everything announced is better than everything before.

the technical specs of 5G can look great, until you look into the problems. You should do that.
  • Reply 38 of 39

avon b7 said:

As you should know, since you’re such a big supported of them, that Huawei is in big trouble around the world. Not just because of the USA either. It looks as thought their equipment won’t be used nearly as much out of China itself as it looked 6 months ago.